That was the worst oil chane I've ever done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my Jeep too. With almost 8" of lift and 35" tires, I sat under, drained, collected a Blackstone sample, went with my daughter next door to sell Girl Scout stuff, put the drain plug in, swapped filters, and filled her with GTX 5W30. My Jeep oil changes take about 10 minutes. You need to lift your Corolla. :cool:

Sounds like a nightmare. Next time I lose the oil filler cap or let it fall down into the engine bay so that I have to really str-e-tch to get it, I'll remember your story and will feel lucky.

My oil changes take about 1.5 hours, but that's because I have to lug the Topsider oil extractor, my oil and filter, and my cap socket and wrench out to the car at the curb. It includes changing clothes and running the old oil to Autozone for recycling. So, yes, 2.5 hours is annoying.

On the other hand, when I mention casually at work on Monday that I changed my car's oil this weekend, the stunned looks ("You changed your own oil???") make me feel like Geordie on Picard's Enterprise. Worth it.

Quote:

It took me about 2 and a half hours to change the oil on my car. The worst oil change I've ever done.

I hear you - I think most of us have had bad days like this, at least those of us who are honest enough to admit it!
cheers.gif

Quote:

Do not feel too bad. I once read a thread on this site were multiple guys were complaining about how the M1 Caps on the 5 quart jugs were cutting into the flesh on their hands. Now when a fellow man has skin that is so soft and girly that it tears trying to open a bottle of oil their is a problem!!! I recomended that all of them look into some Geritol+Iron. Spinach probably would have helped them more but I was afraid that the can opener required to get the spinach open might break a bone in their hand or fingers!!!

One time when I was a kid my dad forgot to put the drain plug back in. He added all of his new oil only to see nice clean oil running down the street! He only did this once!

That is funny! I had a friend whos hands were so soft that he would get blisters from mowing the yard ( he has a self propelled mower also). Same person we white water rafting with me and some other friends and got blisters from using the paddles and then complained about his hands hurting for the rest of the camping trip. Funny stuff.

Quote:

You may get demoted to Group I after this alarming admission. Tough break; Next time think "righty tighty, lefty loosey"

or maybe before installing the new filter, draw on an arrow and write this way to loosen
smile.gif

i've been down the road of screwdrivering a filter, what a mess....

once at work i did an oil change on a minivan, ________ filter was so tight that the stud in the block loosened and came off with the filter
crazy.gif

Quote:

It could be worse... it took me 4 hours to change the fuel filter on my car. With a lift and a clue, it probably would've been half an hour or less. Instead, I backed up the car on ramps, scrunched myself underneath, and spent most of the time trying to squeeze clamps open with pliers and instead slipping and crushing my own fingers instead. Why oh why didn't they put it in the engine bay?
mad.gif

Yep, there's nothing like spending hours changing a 10-year-old rusted fuel filter in an awkward location. Definitely one of my least-favorite maintenance items on some vehicles.

Wow! That sucks. Now that I bought me self some good coveralls, I did an oil change a couple nights ago on my 94 Corolla in about 20 minutes tops. Although I've done it so many times I don't have to think about a thing. No dipstick checking either since it takes exactly 4 quarts.

Righty tighty lefty loosy has gotten the best of me before as well!

Reminds me of the first time I changed my fiancee's acura integra oil. I didnt overtighten or spear the filter, but it was the most horrible oil change experience Ive had...

it amazes me just how stupid a place automakers (usually Asian automakers) find to hide an oil filter... so it is not user friendly at all.

JMH

Quote:

The joy of working on cars
A couple of years ago here in Atl; A guy was working on his car in the parking lot of an apartment complex. I guess the repair job was not going as well he'd like. He slammed the hood closed got his sidearm out of the car and shot the engine 3 times. Through the hood.

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

That reminds me of a Faulty Towers episode when John Cleese has finally had enough of his car.

At least you didn't back up over your jack stands like I did the other day. I've done that twice now, I'm afraid to admit.
blush.gif

When I went to change the oil on my fiance's newly purchased Riviera, the FRAM filter on there was so tight that I wadded up and ripped off that black sandpaper coating on the filter. I had to grab and twist for about 10 or 15 minutes, loosening it by about a millimeter at a time before it finally started spinning free.

I turned it a full turn and a half before it would spin freely to come off. Whatever dipstick changed the oil last had the Grape Ape under there with him to put the filter on.

This is the second car my fiance' has had that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any kind of tool on the filter to remove it except one of the specially made sockets. On her Contour, you have to remove the passenger side front tire to get to the oil filter, lie on your back at an angle and twist the filter with your left hand.

When I first changed the oil in the Contour and looked up and saw the white filter with grease-pencil initials I almost cried. I think the oil change places put them on that tight on purpose...so that you can't change your own oil.

Last time I changed the oil everything went smoothly. After I finished I ran over a M1 quart bottle I'd filled with used oil. It exploded oil all over the wheel, fender, hood, headlight and windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back