that was more than a slap on the wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
t Peanut Corporation's plant in Blakely, Georgia, federal investigators found a leaky roof, roaches and evidence of rodents at the plant, all ingredients for brewing salmonella. They also uncovered emails and records showing food confirmed by lab tests to contain salmonella was shipped to customers anyway. Other batches were never tested at all, but got shipped with fake lab records saying salmonella screenings were negative.

Three deaths linked to the outbreak occurred in Minnesota, two in Ohio, two in Virginia, one in Idaho and one in North Carolina

Mostly, they were convicted of defrauding the food processors they sold to.

OTOH, why weren't the buyers checking out the supplier's action? I sure would. If I was buying anything on a multi- million contract. I would surely take a factory tour.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
According to a report I heard today, the death toll for GM ignition switches is up to 110.
GM has better lobbist. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted By: andyd

Mostly, they were convicted of defrauding the food processors they sold to.

OTOH, why weren't the buyers checking out the supplier's action? I sure would. If I was buying anything on a multi- million contract. I would surely take a factory tour.

I work for one of the major food companies affected by PCAs actions and as a result we have added several people who specialize in food safety. Before the recall we like much of the industry relied on 3rd party audits and rarely visited the plants ourselves. But its pretty mickey mouse because you tell the supplier when you are visiting and they clean everything up and organize the paper work.

At least now we inspect the plant ourselves following industry standards and require the plants to also be 3rd party audited and believe me there is a lot of paperwork that we need to approve a new ingredient much less a new supplier.

Hearing that someone died of salmonella poisoning sounds so sterile and antiseptic, but to the person that was infected it's a living [censored]. You get sick for a few days, maybe even a week or more. You're in constant pain with cramps that you can not stop or minimize or fight and that are painful beyond description. The cramps are so bad that some people have torn muscles, tendons and dislocated joints while screaming and gasping for that next breath of air. In between they are vomiting and retching with almost constant diarrhea that burns like a fire and won't stop. You can't bare the pain to touch yourself of have someone help you to clean up. During an attack you're reduced to black and white tunnel vision with no sense of balance, time or your surroundings. Your hearing becomes acute and is your only grasp left on reality. You only hope at this point is that someone will reach out an hold your hand to keep you from slipping away. In between attacks there is no sensation of pain from injuries, no ability to focus your vision and all you can do is gasp for air to combat oxygen debt. Very soon you worry that all this might kill them but then they worry that it won't and will continue. If you survive you are changed forever. It takes months to recover from the initial problems and sometimes years to put all the health problems behind you. Your stomach and intestines are wrecked and you'll never really enjoy eating again. You will worry about every next bit of food.....

A lot more than this one guy should be put away for what they knowingly did. If I were infected with salmonella poisoning and survived I would certainly like the opportunity to meet the person(s) responsible and share with them my thoughts and rage for what they did to myself and others.

That indeed sounds like a nightmare.........They should pay big time.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Hearing that someone died of salmonella poisoning sounds so sterile and antiseptic, but to the person that was infected it's a living [censored]. You get sick for a few days, maybe even a week or more. You're in constant pain with cramps that you can not stop or minimize or fight and that are painful beyond description. The cramps are so bad that some people have torn muscles, tendons and dislocated joints while screaming and gasping for that next breath of air. In between they are vomiting and retching with almost constant diarrhea that burns like a fire and won't stop. You can't bare the pain to touch yourself of have someone help you to clean up. During an attack you're reduced to black and white tunnel vision with no sense of balance, time or your surroundings. Your hearing becomes acute and is your only grasp left on reality. You only hope at this point is that someone will reach out an hold your hand to keep you from slipping away. In between attacks there is no sensation of pain from injuries, no ability to focus your vision and all you can do is gasp for air to combat oxygen debt. Very soon you worry that all this might kill them but then they worry that it won't and will continue. If you survive you are changed forever. It takes months to recover from the initial problems and sometimes years to put all the health problems behind you. Your stomach and intestines are wrecked and you'll never really enjoy eating again. You will worry about every next bit of food.....

A lot more than this one guy should be put away for what they knowingly did. If I were infected with salmonella poisoning and survived I would certainly like the opportunity to meet the person(s) responsible and share with them my thoughts and rage for what they did to myself and others.

Quote:
His mother, Zelda Parnell, told the judge both of her sons "have suffered for years."

"They lost their income, all their material things and worst of all their pride," she said.

Their Pride???

Excuse me??? Their Pride??? Wow...innocent people died from something as simple as eating a peanut-butter-cracker and the worst consequence of all is loss of her two son's PRIDE??

What I would say next would probably get me suspended.....

Pride Goeth Before The Fall.....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Quote:
His mother, Zelda Parnell, told the judge both of her sons "have suffered for years."

"They lost their income, all their material things and worst of all their pride," she said.

Their Pride???

Excuse me??? Their Pride??? Wow...innocent people died from something as simple as eating a peanut-butter-cracker and the worst consequence of all is loss of her two son's PRIDE??

What I would say next would probably get me suspended.....

Pride Goeth Before The Fall.....

I wonder if this lady has any idea how those people suffered leading up to their deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back