That time of year.....

As we emerge from winter into spring.....One constant I've noticed over the years is Rodent damage to wiring.

This is the EGR Valve motor positive control circuit chewed in two on a 2005 Chevy Impala, The PCM is mounted in the air box which is a nice warm hiding spot....No signs of nesting, Just droppings.

VbIOUi1.jpg

5IVjgor.jpg

Wow that’s really unfortunate. Last year I chased a mouse out of our van that hasn’t ran in a few years. Luckily he didn’t chew up anything that I could tell. I don’t like rodents in vehicles I hope he didn’t damage anything else on this car.

One if my biggest fears is rodent damage. Between them eating wires under the engine cover (they love the oil that’s on the wires), or them nesting up in the heater area...and leaving a stench in there that lasts for years. It’s a problem. I’ve heard dryer sheets works, it doesn’t, tried that “trick” and they actually made their nest out of the dryer sheets.

Moth ball bags and an occassional squirt of perfume under the hood has kept mickey away for me.

I dug a mouse nest, along with the mummified resident, out of my rear fender liner when I was under the back of my Touareg fixing a heat shield nut.

Think they were probably from when my car sat for 6-8mo awaiting the "fix."

0124211544_HDR.jpg

That's the big 14 gallon Rigid. It was a big nest. Fortunately no damage to my car, so the nest materials must have been from someone else's.

Awhile ago I read this was becoming more of a problem because automakers are forced to use soy-derived (ease to recycle) insulation for wiring. Perhaps wiring suppliers should at a bitterant (sp?)

borrowed a generator to start framing uncles house, would NOT run! uncle bought one ASAP as i took off regular work to get it going + when he returned the genny the owner found wires chewed thru!!! an issue on older stuff but todays CanBus makes it even worse!!

One if my biggest fears is rodent damage. Between them eating wires under the engine cover (they love the oil that’s on the wires), or them nesting up in the heater area...and leaving a stench in there that lasts for years. It’s a problem. I’ve heard dryer sheets works, it doesn’t, tried that “trick” and they actually made their nest out of the dryer sheets.
Agree.

My 2014 WRX started to get chewed. Got this: "Exterminators Choice Vehicle Defense Rodent Repellent Spray"

Worked. Use it on the 2017 CRV, 2019 Tacoma. No rodents!

Them living in that air box and snacking on the wires is very common. Seen it myself more than once. A Rat at the knock sensor wires on our FJ last year. We got lucky and were able to fix it without the 22hrs labor to pull the heads.

Back