That Freshman Course won't be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of the academic tone of the article, I know economics has been one of the most useless courses I have taken; not because of the subject but the way it is taught. It is commonly taught as if everyone in the class is an econ major. I got the basics: Supply and demand, guns and butter, etc, but when answers are "the curve slides to the left" it has gives no practical knowledge of an important subject. I'm not going to be an economic analyst, can I have a little more practical info?

On the other hand, corporate finance is an excellent course giving useful and practical knowledge of how corporate money "works".

Originally Posted By: tom slick
In light of the academic tone of the article, I know economics has been one of the most useless courses I have taken; not because of the subject but the way it is taught.

IMO, Economics is a coin flip. You could probably take the top 20 economic experts (self proclaimed, no doubt) in this country and ask them what the economic will be doing in a year from now and 10 will say it will improve. The other 10 say it's going to get worse. I'm not sure what they are basing their answers on.

I agree with the both of you. I was an econ major. LOL. Probably could have chose something better but there are some valuable things about it.

My one professor said all the theories you learn about fall apart in the "real world".

There should be a freshman course in the ethics of practicing financial alchemy and systemic failure.

Economy is suppose to be something that shows you how the money games work, and if you have never taken anything similar or have exposure like that in your growing up, that's very interesting.

It is not suppose to be a class that teaches you how to get rich quick. For those sort of stuff, go read a book like "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" or watch "Mad Money", and roll a dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back