That darn Dex-cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
98 S-10 ZR2... Owned since new.

Last time I did coolant, 2009 (!), no signs of discoloration that I can recall. I know the picture/compression is poor but I reviewed the original, and there's not really any sign though there is a little darkening in some of the fins. Still, this is an angle neck radiator in a 4.3, not meant/designed to take Dex (admittedly I did replace LIM gaskets in about 2005 as a preventative measure).

IMG_1770-01.jpg

Now, after 18 years of coolant in there, I'm starting to see some discoloration...

FEE76555-6412-4621-9B47-6CB989EB9425_zpsjidrixnl.jpg

E31CCCD7-80D9-4D6D-9961-2411B3F3B7D5_zpsqmcseoq2.jpg

18 years...looks pretty durn clean to me! Obviously you kept it topped of....did you perform any other changes besides the 2009?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
18 years...looks pretty durn clean to me! Obviously you kept it topped of....did you perform any other changes besides the 2009?

2002, 2005, 2007, 2009... 2016
frown.gif

Stupid me, kicking myself - didn't realize I let it go that long...

At first I thought it was 2011, but then I confirmed... 2009. Ugh.

Zero.

Having owned it since new, Ive put one set of calipers, due to them being gunked up and not sliding properly (the bore was out of round, I used to do a LOT of off roading and didn't know enough to re-lube calipers now and again, despite wet, immersion, lots of washing, etc).

I did the LIMs because I saw single digit PPM of Na and K in the oil once. They looked fine but better safe than sorry.

Anything else? Nope, not really... I did get a CEL once and it was some little black actuator on the intake, so I replaced it for about $20.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How many water pumps have you replaced on this car?

I'm assuming zero as it's hard to keep coolant in a 4.3L with the water pump removed.

Dex cool in my Dad's Saturn VUE has been perfect.

I've done nothing but petcock drains and refills every 60K.

I see nothing wrong here for a 18 year old vehicle! Lol!

I say keep doing what you're doing. If only the used car market was made up of more guys like you.

Lucky you.

My 1998 Malibu was nothing but trouble with Dexcool. Radiator sludge galore, three lower intake leaks in less than 100,000 miles, cooling fans ran most of the time even after the fixes. Two intake leaks were fixed under warranty. Glad my wife ran it in a ditch, and warped the frame, so it got totaled. She thought I would be mad, but I was actually happy to get rid of that hunk of junk.

My 1997 Sierra looks the same way and it has the original radiator still. Dex-Cool is great stuff and not the problem others say it is. They run it way to long and have problems and then blame it on Dex-cool.

I cannot believe anyone is worried anymore about Dex. Man, it's been a LONG time since any problems were real, and they were far more about poor gasket materials than Dex Cool.

That radiator looks pretty darned good for its age...

Good looking radiator, 18 years old and 7 years since the last coolant change.

I've never had a problem with Dex-Cool. It's in my car right now, and I have used a similar OAT clone in my liquid cool motorcycle too. I moved the bike to G-05 but the GM car is still on Dex.

Last edited:
Looks good. Noted, 'LIM gaskets replaced as preventative measure,' which is one the main issues with DexCool in earlier GM applications. GM plastic 'type' gaskets susceptible to 2eha deterioration.

Also having owned a 96 Gran Prix with 3.8L with angle neck cap, non pressurized recovery tank and specing Dex, a very poor design. Virtually impossible for me to correctly fill radiator to top, meaning air in radiator/system, one of the issues leading to Dex sludge/gelling.

That said, I'd have no issue using DexCool 'where spec'd' now, especially with pressurized recovery tank and system gaskets and seals etc designed and engineered specifically for DexCool.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I cannot believe anyone is worried anymore about Dex. Man, it's been a LONG time since any problems were real, and they were far more about poor gasket materials than Dex Cool.

It was sort of meant as a joke...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach
That actually looks good - did you replace the LIM gaskets with the improved Fel-Pro ones?

Good question. I had a dealer do it back around 2005. So I suspect oem. I'm pulling a uoa this time so if I see any hints, I'll redo with those.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It was sort of meant as a joke...
smile.gif

Yes, I took it as a dis on all of the 'Death Cool' haterz on here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach
That actually looks good - did you replace the LIM gaskets with the improved Fel-Pro ones?

Even the newer OEM gaskets are an improved design. I had the same issue with Equinox and the new Delco designs are constructed to prevent this issue

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Kuato

2002, 2005, 2007, 2009... 2016
frown.gif

Stupid me, kicking myself - didn't realize I let it go that long...

At first I thought it was 2011, but then I confirmed... 2009. Ugh.

thumbsup2.gif
I've never seen a radiator or water pump corrosion problem in any vehicle that has had the coolant changed about every 3 years; long life coolants may last longer but they also encourage the "no maintenance" mentality.

I didn't have that mentality... Rather between 6-8 cars, and an infant in that timeframe, plus a lot of stuff going on at work...

I need to make a better reminder system for the less used cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back