Thanks to Terry for all his work ion the Z-oil Study!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a personal thnaks to Terry for taking it up a notch with the Z-oil Study. The state-of-the art formulation info is a bit over my head, but it's good to know that there is serious competition to the oh-so-corporate Mogul 1 from a "blender". Castrol and Audi are corporately linked, and I like that. Audi should just get off their collective asses and start putting this oil into customer cars and forget BC or the 505 version. Here is a product that could have saved Audi MILLIONS on warranty sludge repairs if they used it in their 10k services, but it's really only US BitOGers who appreciate it! Now more than ever, thanks again Terry.
cheers.gif

AJ,

Echo the thanks to Terry!
cheers.gif

AJ, I honestly believe that GC (SLX) IS what came in my car. GC looks, in appearance on the dipstick, like the factory fill (it was distinctive enough in color that an "oil looks like oil" argument doesn't "play" in my opinion).

You and all are welcome. Whether you are a site supporter, contributor, or Zoil contributor that few bucks got us a good look internally at a interesting formulation.

Molakule went way out of his way to help discern chemical and physics issues so hats off to him too. The acronym for the trick PAO esters ( PMECO ) was coined by him.

Please do discuss the report here , just be very careful in disclosing data that could harm or give competitive advantage to ANYONE.

I think the key for the informed consumer is to find this oil and use it, find other oils formulated in a similar fashion regardless of brand and get the best protection and formulation for the money.

I wonder out loud if the start up protection oil is using a group II base with a much smaller percentage of the PMCEO's. Problem with that company is that you never know and it took us months of work to find out what Zoil was !

Terry

Big thanks to everyone.
cheers.gif
So in the end, it's the basestock here that makes this oil shine and not the additive package.

Next, lets break down Mobil 1 5w-20 and 0w-20.
wink.gif

quote:

I have a request for checking M1 5w-20 against M1 0w-20 and AE Haas had offered to kick in he majority of the cost.

I didn't contribute, as the oil is unobtanium down here, and not relevent to my useage.

But have enjoyed the level of discussion, and am awed at what board members can achieve.

If you want to do a "start-up" test, I'll happily wade in...I think it's the next most interesting oil out there.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I didn't contribute, as the oil is unobtanium down here, and not relevent to my useage.

But have enjoyed the level of discussion, and am awed at what board members can achieve.

If you want to do a "start-up" test, I'll happily wade in...I think it's the next most interesting oil out there.

See, Shannow, you guys in Oz should have embraced the "lightweight [0W-30] oil." Maybe you would have made it "a hit."
grin.gif

Hmmmm, if we mixed in alittle GC with some LC20, wonder what the fish would taste like then? Glad I stocked up.

Seriously, thanks to you and Mola. Nowhere else but here can we get this kind of info.
cheers.gif

Now, where is my haircut?????
grin.gif

[ May 02, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Hmmmm, if we mixed in alittle GC with some LC20, wonder what the fish would taste like then? Glad I stocked up.

Seriously, thanks to you and Mola. Nowhere else but here can we get this kind of info.
cheers.gif

grin.gif

fisH?...fiSH??...FISH??? I don't get it...and why would a fish get a haircut...I don't get it

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:

cheers.gif

grin.gif

fisH?...fiSH??...FISH??? I don't get it...and why would a fish get a haircut...I don't get it

Ya had to be there
wink.gif
s'all good
smile.gif

Terry,

Thanks for the effort you and Mola put into this test. I hope you kept most if not all of that $450. I hope it didn't all go to the labs.

Anyway, the impression I got from your e-mail is that while this oil is very tricked out and VERY effective, one should be carefull with long drains of 10k miles of more due to its composition.....therefore, the need for LC20 as you've suggested in the past to evade oxidation for as long as possible.

Right?

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Terry,

Thanks for the effort you and Mola put into this test. I hope you kept most if not all of that $450. I hope it didn't all go to the labs.

Anyway, the impression I got from your e-mail is that while this oil is very tricked out and VERY effective, one should be carefull with long drains of 10k miles of more due to its composition.....therefore, the need for LC20 as you've suggested in the past to evade oxidation for as long as possible.

Right?

But isn't that true with any oil. UOA is the only way to know if the oil is stll working, no matter what.

I did a UOA with the GC just to make sure it was OK for my warranty required 7500 max OCI. Terry looked at it and others members too in the UOA and all said go 10k on the next batch. So for me, 10k is no problem with the green. If I can still get it when warranty runs out (darn 100k Hyndai warranty) in 3-4 yrs, I will go 10000+ with no worries. Heck ,I am dabating a 10k anyway, because I know there is no chance of an oil related problem with the green.

I figured this delayed test was just the start so we made little off this exercise for the time spent.

I am trying to procure technology that would allow us to do in-house GCMS lab work at Dyson Analysis. Cost will be the issue but I am trying.

On LC use in this product ,like any oil ,it depends. The comment in the report about internal oxidation issues was germain to this specfic formulation. Similar to the Amsoil TSO 0w-30 in the past.
Autooxidation is a possible problem that even Mola and I did not address privately. Could this have been the problem in Australia that had the formula pulled from the shelves ? Hmmm... Maybe they didn't get that mix quite right. What year was the porsche or audi melted or gooed up ?

Initiation,propagation, and termination are the three accepted phases and using a PAO derived ester in a PAO base can lead to issues. A problem with the Pennzoil EOP bases that was discussed at length at STLE meetings and papers.

Use periodic lube analysis that is interpreted properly to decide IF LC is needed and how much then ROCK ON !

Shorty ..(smarty) B
grin.gif
is referencing the LC/FP fish fry put on by Odis in Dallas and attended by a cast of "thousands" from BITOG.

Guys and Gals I am telling you this group would have a WOODSTOCK of lubricant LOVE if we ever get together !!!

Get those flash cups out and smoke that lube if you got em !!
lol.gif

Shorty I got your... haircut waiting.....
rolleyes.gif

[ May 03, 2005, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

I wonder out loud if the start up protection oil is using a group II base with a much smaller percentage of the PMCEO's. Problem with that company is that you never know and it took us months of work to find out what Zoil was !

Terry

Won't happen, but some bitogger's might want to re-think their idea that regular Syntec is just an over-priced GPIII with a standard add pak also.
grin.gif

Thanks Terry, Mola and all.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
See, Shannow, you guys in Oz should have embraced the "lightweight [0W-30] oil." Maybe you would have made it "a hit."
grin.gif

We don't really need SLX down here anymore. Formula R 0w40 is oh so close in spec. to SLX Longtec anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back