Thank God for the Reese hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 is the last year of the first-gen or ZJ. 12-24 mph, especially in the upper end of that, is a pretty big smack in the tail. I imagine they totalled it? It's unibody. Is your friend ok?

M

Originally Posted By: meep
1998 is the last year of the first-gen or ZJ. 12-24 mph, especially in the upper end of that, is a pretty big smack in the tail. I imagine they totalled it? It's unibody. Is your friend ok?

M

Yes, she's OK, and surprisingly they are fixing it!! I couldn't believe it given the obvious structural damage.

Glad everything turned out ok. It's kind of sad that you could judge that they were going too fast and waiting too long to stop looking in your rear view better than they could in the driver's seat.

My friend who got rear ended twice in 2 weeks in his van made a 6" spike that fit the reciever. He never did put it in.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Glad everything turned out ok. It's kind of sad that you could judge that they were going too fast and waiting too long to stop looking in your rear view better than they could in the driver's seat.

My friend who got rear ended twice in 2 weeks in his van made a 6" spike that fit the reciever. He never did put it in.

Well, they were seniors
grin2.gif

Every accident I've ever been in has involved seniors. This is a retirement community, so you've got a lot of very old people driving around paying attention to a lot of things that are not the road.....

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Nice to see the Expedition fared okay. The frame bending is why I would never put a hitch on my Yaris, it would bend the unibody in half if ever it were hit!

Do you have the hatchback or sedan Yaris? In the Echo the hatch back was actually much heavier than the sedan because they had to reinforce the back end due to the lack of crush space. The sedan has that nice trunk to accordian up.
In a little car I'd almost rather have them write it off, especially with a toyota, since the insurance company seems to give alot of money based on their resale value.
Ian

Nice to see the Expedition fared okay. The frame bending is why I would never put a hitch on my Yaris, it would bend the unibody in half if ever it were hit!

If it were hit????? Try if you ever hooked a trailer to it!!!

JK.....JK....
11.gif

The frame in the Expedition:

fig_5.jpg

On newer SUV's and trucks the rear receiver hitch its actually an anti under-ride device that's engineered into the vehicle. One of the reasons that every ford superduty pickup (Not cab and chassis) and excursion and most other ford full size trucks and SUV's come standard with hitch receivers on the rear.

And to those that say take out your hitch when not in use. my 25K rated 2 5/16" hitch in the back of my F-350 has saved MY Truck 5 times by my count. why should I have to pay because someone else couldn't drive?

I also have a HUGE pintel hitch on the back of my Other F-350 and a big 10K rated billet aluminum drop hitch on my F-450

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That thing's gotta weigh as much as my entire car!
LOL.gif

When I still had my lifted cherokee, Id always leave a d ring recovery adapter in the receiver. I had 2 people who werent paying attention run into it and have nice d-ring impressions on their hood/bumper and no damage to the jeep. Granted the d-ring didnt stick out nearly as far as a ball hitch would, it still offered nice protection.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That thing's gotta weigh as much as my entire car!
LOL.gif

Quite likely, the truck weighs 5,449lbs.

Reason #1 why I always leave my biggest nastiest pintle hitch in the receiver of my truck at all times.... Any idiot in a car or van that rearends me will regret it much more than I will...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back