TGMO 0w20

I’ve had excellent results with it after a 10k run. Iron reading came back at 5, nice dose of moly in it. Ran the oem filter, oil color was a little darker but meant little. Uoa I posted on here confirmed it did well.

Is it now a full synthetic (SP GF-6A Formulation)?

OP that's not to be considered a criticism. It's been a very good oil that's lasted for the OCI suggested in Toyotas speced for it.

It is probably fine for 10k oil changes but I personally have not run it that long in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7L. FWIW, I run 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum and my next change will be with 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra. My owners manual states a higher viscosity may be better suited for certain situations and 5w30 is the recommended oil in several foreign countries where the Lexus LX570 (same 5.7L) is sold. I do understand my truck is past warranty so I do not have that concern.

I changed oil with M1 0w20 at 5k and just now at 15k, just because I was unsure of the TGMO. I'm getting tierd of crawling under vehicle to do oil changes. So I'm thinking just let Toyota do it every 10.....😵

Synthetic?...Yes.

SP GF-6A?...No.

I took these photos July 3rd, 2020 of the bottle that my local Toyota Dealer had on their shelf in the parts department. - https://bit.ly/3eBB2Ba

Ed

I don't know why but I was thinking the TGMO was a blend. Doesn't really matter. I was just curious if they would have to change it to make SP GF6A (which I assume Mobil & Toyota have already done). I wonder how long it will be before the new product arrives?

Personally I wouldn’t go 10,000 miles between oil changes even with Toyota’s excellent engines. I have owned a Lexus LS460, tried those long intervals, my engine started using 4 quarts between changes by the time it hit 150,000 miles.

Have to a Toyota Avalon now, I stick to 5,000 mile intervals using various name brand 0w20 synthetics. I probably could go further, but why bother?

And yes, be careful with Toyota dealers, some don’t use the TGMO. And I like that TGMO, it’s kind of the unicorn of 0w20’s

The Tundra's 5.7 is easy on oil and has a big oil sump (over 8 qts). Can easily go 10k miles. I have done UOAs that showed the oil was still robust after a 10k oil change.

Last edited:
Does your dealer have an express lube with cheaper prices?
Yeah, its not a guarantee that Toyota dealer is using TGMO.

this was all done by previous owner I have only had truck for a year myself. I bought it with high

I went back and looked through all the invoices. Somewhat of a mix from a few different toyota dealers, but a lot of invoices for OEM FILTER AND OIL and charge roughly $6 per .

also several that showed "bulk" 0w-20 at roughly $4 per qt

Back