TGMO 0w20, 6.5k, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 41,385

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter months probably account for fuel dilution. Everything else looks good. This is with TGMO 0w20, FU, and Liqui-Moly. Replaced it with 3 quarts of TGMO and 2 quarts of M1 0w40. Caterham blend!

14%20ODYSSEY%20EX-032616.jpg

Originally Posted By: tig1
The two qts of 0-40 are for what purpose?

Well, first and foremost because I have a ton of in my stash left over from my Audi.

Second, I wanted to give the Caterham Blend a try for myself. I found this explanation of the blend from back in the day.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The Caterham Blend is a blend of Mobil 1 0w40 and Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0w20. It is prized for its high viscosity index, and somewhat enhanced additive package over Mobil 1 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy. M1 0w30 to us spec-hounds on BITOG is somewhat disappointing because its viscosity index is actually lower than garden variety M1 5w30. Consequently, it has higher viscosity during startup down to freezing temperatures. By blending M1 0w40 with TGMO, you end up with a 0w30 with higher viscosity index than M1 0w30 AFE, and since TGMO is produced by Mobil, there is minimal concern of the additive packages between the two oils clashing.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Winter months probably account for fuel dilution. Everything else looks good. This is with TGMO 0w20, FU, and Liqui-Moly. Replaced it with 3 quarts of TGMO and 2 quarts of M1 0w40. Caterham blend!

What was time period of the oil change? How many months?

If your intention is extend OCI, TGMO 0w20 showing a TBN of 2.7 after 6500 mi seems like a weak oil for this Honda engine. It looks like 8000 mi OCI is the limit for this TGMO oil. Try M1EP 0w20 and you can easily go 10K OCI with this Honda engine.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
Originally Posted By: SF0059

What was time period of the oil change? How many months?

Sorry Pat, just saw this. The oil was in the van about 5 months.

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
If your intention is extend OCI, TGMO 0w20 showing a TBN of 2.7 after 6500 mi seems like a weak oil for this Honda engine. It looks like 8000 mi OCI is the limit for this TGMO oil. Try M1EP 0w20 and you can easily go 10K OCI with this Honda engine.

To be honest, I don't trust the Honda VCM V6 enough to extend the OCI. The engine is well known for chewing up oil. I may play around with the brand, but I will most likely stick to the OLM for the foreseeable future, especially while it is still under warranty. My reasoning behind getting the UOA is to track wear in the engine because of the track record of the design. I refilled with a blend of TGMO and M1 0w40, so we'll see how it does with a light 0w30.

Originally Posted By: dmiko
Does this engine have the VCM system? Wonder if issues that plagued it in terms of premature cam wear were worked out.

Some people say it has been ironed out, others say that it is still a problem. Either way, I'm going to baby it and keep a watchful eye on it through UOA samples.

These numbers are very similar to what my Honda Ridgeline's J35 engine showed with both Lubrication Engineers' 5W20 and Pennz Plat 0W20. Currently I'm evaluating M1 AFE 0W20, and iron and aluminum numbers are both way down. So, if you like to see smaller numbers, maybe try M1 AFE 0W20.

FYI, the Ridgeline's J35 does _not_ employ VCM.

I don't recall whether I put the recent AFE UOA on here or not.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
So, if you like to see smaller numbers, maybe try M1 AFE 0W20.

Thanks for the tip! I've been thinking about moving away from TGMO since it is pricey and it doesn't seem to be the magic elixir I hoped it would be for the VCM V6. I can't argue with the price of M1 AFE either!

VCM-2 are sometimes problem engines depending on the conditions they are operated under, they do much better on 0w40.
In fact this engine is spec for 0W-40 A3/B4 in other parts of the world, it is not exclusively a xw20 engine and seem to have more engine issues when run on that grade of oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
VCM-2 are sometimes problem engines depending on the conditions they are operated under, they do much better on 0w40.
In fact this engine is spec for 0W-40 A3/B4 in other parts of the world, it is not exclusively a xw20 engine and seem to have more engine issues when run on that grade of oil.

I've seen these Honda V6's do very well on A3/B4 oils. If I had one, I wouldn't run anything thinner than straight M1 0w40.

Silly question about the J35. Can I just run a quality 5w30 synthetic in this my Accord and have no bad effects. It would be easier to have both cars on the same oil and 5w30 is stocked better at stores.

Been running 5w30 in my wifes freestylee for 5 years and it,s specd for 5w20 with no harmful effects on the DHOC 3.0L.I'm running 5w30 for the same you are asking.

I stock 5w30 for everything , but I have been trialing 2 rotellas for my Jeep it @ 22 years young and I want a little more zinc for an older flat tappet motor

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Silly question about the J35. Can I just run a quality 5w30 synthetic in this my Accord and have no bad effects. It would be easier to have both cars on the same oil and 5w30 is stocked better at stores.

Absolutely, no issues whatsoever.

Lawn mowers and such might be a good use for leftover 0w40.

The viscosity of the mix is predictable but the overall performance is not. Same manufacturer doesn't necessarily matter.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
it isnt the thickess of oil its the quality of the oil .

Sounds like there's a definition in there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back