TGMO 0w20 6,074m 25,206m (2011 Tacoma)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be a pretty good comparison of TGMO and AFE. This is the 2nd run, but 1st UOA of TGMO. The 1st 2 UOAs, as indicated in the report, are with M1 AFE. I have to conclude that TGMO is on par with, but no better than, Mobil1 0w20 AFE. I don't plan to make any extra effort to seek out TGMO in the future.

For me, TGMO is a big "meh".

I welcome input as to Blackstone's comments about aluminum. Not sure if I should worry. Not sure what I can do about it, anyway.

I noticed last Spring that the OEM air filter did not seem to be sealing well. I replaced it with a rather pricey Mahle, with a nice foam gasket. I tend to think that the better filter helped drop the Silicon by 33%, which wasn't very high to begin with. But the number was trending downwards anyway, because the engine is relatively new. So who knows how much can be attributed to the new filter.

Comments?

Code:

We can't argue with these numbers. Metals line up well with universal averages and past reports,

so we're not seeing anything that would point to a problem. You'll notice aluminum was twice the average

value, so it was close to getting a mark. It's from the pistons/bearings, but even this level isn't enough to

cause concern. The flashpoint got a mark this time, but it's not a major concern. It shows a trace of fuel in

the oil, but that's a harmless amount and isn't enough to cause or show any problems. Your engine looks

good from here. Keep up the good work!

TGMO M1 AFE M1 AFE

MI/HR on Oil 6,074 4,182 5,700

MI/HR on Unit 25,206 17,566 13,384 UNIVERSAL

Sample Date 10/14/14 03/22/14 08/06/13 AVERAGES

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts 0 qts 0 qts

ALUMINUM 4 2 3 2

CHROMIUM 0 0 0 0

IRON 8 9 9 8

COPPER 2 4 5 3

LEAD 0 0 1 0

TIN 0 0 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 107 75 93 78

NICKEL 0 0 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0 0 0

SILVER 0 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 3 0 2

BORON 4 59 55 50

SILICON 8 12 15 13

SODIUM 3 3 5 40

CALCIUM 2235 1058 1339 2163

MAGNESIUM 26 702 766 159

PHOSPHORUS 733 555 673 694

ZINC 861 610 803 814

BARIUM 0 0 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 53.0 49.5 49.3

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.18 7.12 7.07

Flashpoint in °F 385 410 410

Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.1 0.1 0.1

TBN 3.0

TAN

ISO Code

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that there really isn't any reason to go out of your way to 'find' any oil for your daily driver. Your local auto parts store, Walmart etc., have more variety, viscosity and engine protection than you'll ever need.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I'm of the opinion that there really isn't any reason to go out of your way to 'find' any oil for your daily driver. Your local auto parts store, Walmart etc., have more variety, viscosity and engine protection than you'll ever need.

Agreed.

But this site wouldn't exist if we didn't have a compelling need to try something else.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: wemay

Agreed.

But this site wouldn't exist if we didn't have a compelling need to try something else.

Very true.

And a need to debate, argue, and obsess over minutiae
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

And a need to debate, argue, and obsess over minutiae
smile.gif

Yep.

And we keep coming back for more.

No conclusions can be drawn to compare the two oils. You don't have enough data to make that conclusion. You only have TBN for one of the runs and even then your car is/was still breaking in.

I'm not sure what you expected the TGMO to do? You seemed to have had high expectations but with this level of data I'm not sure how much better it could have looked.

Thanks for posting. I agree with earlier opinions that not much can be concluded from this one run of TGMO in your car. Good choice on installing the Mahle air filter, they are excellent, as are the German made Mann air filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back