TGDI, Early OCI and Fuel Dilution

Originally Posted by Mainia
I would love to see a rich guy pay for Amsoil and Redline to be tested for their stated certs and see how many would pass.

Neither one of those two entities is unable to pay for those certifications and approvals, that's not why they don't have them. Amsoil has gotten some approvals, for some of them we know they will not pass as Amsoil has stated.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The GDI turbo in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 had an evil reputation for high fuel dilution levels. If you read the Mazdaspeed boards the common wisdom was that 3,000 mile OCI- and that Mobil 1 was absolutely terrible oil. I bought one new and repeated UOAs showed that a 7,500 mile OCI with M1 5W-30 was conservative, if anything.

I'm assuming you had the recall serviced?

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by MCompact
The GDI turbo in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 had an evil reputation for high fuel dilution levels. If you read the Mazdaspeed boards the common wisdom was that 3,000 mile OCI- and that Mobil 1 was absolutely terrible oil. I bought one new and repeated UOAs showed that a 7,500 mile OCI with M1 5W-30 was conservative, if anything.

I'm assuming you had the recall serviced?

Recall or TSB?

Not to interrupt the discussion but analysis example on a F150 3.5EB TGDI 1st Gen with three back to back runs beginning at roughly 28,500 mi and ending at roughly 45,000 mi total on unit.

6100 mi - 4.2% Fuel Dilution (Iron 12 ppm)
900 mi - 4 7% Fuel Dilution (Iron 7 ppm)
9500 mi - 1.5% Fuel Dilution (Iron 18 ppm)

...and no 900 mi isn't a typo.

Does anybody see anything there to make you think 5,000 mi of even 3,000 mi OCI would help?

With fuel meaning gasoline and with sufficient PCV it really is only a snapshot in time. Nothing like looking at biodiesel which can push towards exchange.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Not to interrupt the discussion but analysis example on a F150 3.5EB TGDI 1st Gen with three back to back runs beginning at roughly 28,500 mi and ending at roughly 45,000 mi total on unit.

Does anybody see anything there to make you think 5,000 mi of even 3,000 mi OCI would help?

That makes me wonder if the short run had a lot more short trips and or idle time while the second long run had lots of highway and burned off the excess fuel.

If that's the case makes it look like getting enough highway driving is possibly more important than early changes.

Was that 900 mi in the middle of a cold winter?

Originally Posted by circuitsmith

Was that 900 mi in the middle of a cold winter?

About 30 days from Mid-June to Mid-July.

The runs are in chronological order.

The last run (the one with the lowest fuel and highest miles) had the most winter miles.

Last edited:
Gene K: were these Blackstone UOAs? If so, the % fuel dilution is almost meaningless, though these results are interesting anyway.

Originally Posted by Danh
Gene K: were these Blackstone UOAs? If so, the % fuel dilution is almost meaningless, though these results are interesting anyway.

Polaris.

Originally Posted by Danh

Polaris.

Then even more interesting. Thanks.

Back