TGDI, Early OCI and Fuel Dilution

I regret not buying MPIs for both new purchases. Glad to hear you found ESP 5W30 that works with your Kona 1.6 consumption issue.
I'll lean that same way, if our Koreans start consuming someday.

You have to consider the source of the UOA's. If it's Blackstone Labs, then their fuel dilution results can be taken with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I regret not buying MPIs for both new purchases. Glad to hear you found ESP 5W30 that works with your Kona 1.6 consumption issue.

No it is the Redline Euro 5w-30 that for some weird reason is not gaining oil through fuel.

Originally Posted by bbhero

And I'd bet no one has done that on a 2015 or 2016 or newer vehicle.... Or if one random donkey person did it... They are a huge outlier...

One is a 2013 3.5EB and the other is a 2016 2.7EB but you don't get those kind of miles unless it's commercial use and that's definitely a minority as the F150 is not primarily a commercial vehicle and most people don't put on 60,000 - 100,000 mi a year.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
You have to consider the source of the UOA's. If it's Blackstone Labs, then their fuel dilution results can be taken with a grain of salt.

I bought a 10 pack from Polaris Labs, and you have to FORCE them to run the advanced dilution test every time. Even if you call out you want the advanced test, they won't do it and they have to re run it separately.

Originally Posted by Mainia

No it is the Redline Euro 5w-30 that for some weird reason is not gaining oil through fuel.

OK - Thanks.
Walmart only sells the quart bottle @ (gasp) $23. Gonna' pass on any Bookmarking / Favorites Folder for it.
You might want to check-out Schaeffer 9000. There's either a recent UOA or VOA of it. That one is ballpark $10 per quart and that's my $$limit.
Amsoil Signature Series is another to try. Both are non-Euro (front labeled) and lowered Calcium, but built like a ton of bricks.

Our newest sponsor here is High Performance Lubricants (HPL). No idea on product pricing. But that oil looks real promising also and probably not near $20 qt.

Last edited:

OK - Thanks.
Walmart only sells the quart bottle @ (gasp) $23. Gonna' pass on any Bookmarking / Favorites Folder for it.
You might want to check-out Schaeffer 9000. There's either a recent UOA or VOA of it. That one is ballpark $10 per quart and that's my $$limit.
Amsoil Signature Series is another to try. Both are non-Euro (front labeled) and lowered Calcium, but built like a ton of bricks.

Our newest sponsor here is High Performance Lubricants (HPL). No idea on product pricing. But that oil looks real promising also and probably not near $20 qt.

I bought my Redline Euro 5w-30 at Jegs on sale for $9.28 a qt. It is now the normal price of $12.49. If this oil works for my motor, I will be keeping an eye of this oil at Jeg's for sale. To early to tell if this oil is for me. I bought 15qts. I learned from previous testing, you can not go by the first run oil change. I still have Mobil1 ESP in this first try mix.

I am a Schaeffer's grease fan and buy cases and cases at work, but I am not a Scheaffer's oil fan. I almost took out a $15,000 rotory screw air compressor when I believed Scheaffers BS on their crap rotary compressor oil. They were touting to me it was a group 4 when clearly I gelled it up in 70 or 100 hours if I remember right, so it was a group 3. Thank God I pulled a UOA at that time of I would of smoked it. It is still damaged to this day with a 1/4+gel filled/plugged heat exchanger that now can only be ran at 75% with still chances of over heating if we use it in the air cond summer. Granted the Atlas Copco OEM group 4 can't even be up to the task on their own units, we have 3 of them that all killed OEM group 4 oil. They varnish up the oil in testing, and have a HUGE particulate counts of fine varnish particulate through the mid to lower particulate spectrum, IE varnish. It takes a Summit Industrial Product's group 5 to keep the oil from making varnish on their units. Scheaffer's failed right from day one.

I was going back and forth with Atlas Copco engineer dept and they called me nuts, I built testing data with varnish testing and particulate testing and the minute I ran a group 5, all my problems ceased to exist. Mic drop at the Atlas Copco engineers who HAD to lie for the corporation.

I drive a MAZDA CX5 and three UOAs using a 6-7,000 oci didn't show any fuel dilution over 1.2%. I have yet to see any UOA from fuel dilution of up to 3.5 % that demonstrates and abnormal wear. My feelings is that the idea of fuel dilution causing problems at any level is totally unfounded in actual data.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I drive a MAZDA CX5 and three UOAs using a 6-7,000 oci didn't show any fuel dilution over 1.2%. I have yet to see any UOA from fuel dilution of up to 3.5 % that demonstrates and abnormal wear. My feelings is that the idea of fuel dilution causing problems at any level is totally unfounded in actual data.

Well I guess we'll find out in a few years when we see how many of these DI cars consistently start rolling up over 300K miles.

Wow Mainia.
Never heard of Jegs here. I'll google it.

OK - I See the Red Line Euro is Dexos2.
Who makes Jegs Synthetic 5W30?
I subscribed to their newsletter.

Last edited:
Wow Mainia.

No, it's not.

Originally Posted by LotI
How do you know the wear? A UOA will tell the condition of the lubricant, not the donor vehicle(hence the term oil analysis). Wear would require a tear down of the motor.

It's a Hyundai, we look for piston skirts and chunks of bearing in our oil changes, how about you?

Daaaaaang ...👀

Remember that on BITOG the experience of actual owners is of little value; those who parrot third hand hearsay and quote YouTube videos are the true experts.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Well I guess we'll find out in a few years when we see how many of these DI cars consistently start rolling up over 300K miles.

With the exception of my E36/5 and TJ I hope that I never have to own a vehicle for 200K miles- never mind 300K miles.

With the exception of my E36/5 and TJ I hope that I never have to own a vehicle for 200K miles- never mind 300K miles.

Originally Posted by MCompact

With the exception of my work truck (196k miles) I don't own anything under 230k miles. Lowest mileage I've had was 115k miles at time of purchase.

Congratulations on financially being able to upgrade frequently.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Congratulations on financially being able to upgrade frequently.

Well, I've had my 3er for 25 years and my TJ for 18. I kept my MS3 for 8 years and my wife kept her X3 for 12 years. As for their replacements, I've had the 2er for four years and the Clubman for three. My wife's X1 is the newest car in the garage as my wife has only had it for 1.5 years. I suspect that I keep my cars a bit longer than average. Regardless,I don't consider flipping cars every 8-12 years to be "frequent," but to each his own.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Wow Mainia.

No, it's not.

"It's compatible"

ACEA C3
API SN/SM/SL/CF

BMW LL-04
Chrysler MS-11106
GM dexos2®
MB 229.51
MB 229.31
Porsche C30
VW 504.00
VW 507.00

I would love to see a rich guy pay for Amsoil and Redline to be tested for their stated certs and see how many would pass.

I would love to see a rich guy pay for Amsoil and Redline to be tested for their stated certs and see how many would pass.

Well, Mr. Phillips is a "rich guy", but he have decided not to pay for it. Which comes as no surprise as Redline is not catered to the mainstream consumer, but the racing crowd.

I reread my original statement and realized I goofed. "My feelings is that the idea of fuel dilution causing problems at any level is totally unfounded in actual data." I should have said any fuel dilution under 3.5%

Back