‘Text neck’ an ‘epidemic’ - could ruin your spine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying this for MANY years.

“The problem is really profound in young people,” he said. “With this excessive stress in the neck, we might start seeing young people needing spine care. I would really like to see parents showing more guidance.”

Medical experts have been warning people for years. Some say for every inch the head tilts forward, the pressure on the spine doubles.

“As you stretch the tissue for a long period of time, it gets sore, it gets inflamed,” he said. It can also cause muscle strain, pinched nerves, herniated disks and, over time, it can even remove the neck’s natural curve.

Please read & inform yourself.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/20/text-neck-is-becoming-an-epidemic-and-could-wreck-your-spine/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Sometimes BITOG links the Hyperlink, sometimes not.

Can someone post the Hyperlink? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This is why I only text while sitting upright, with my phone perched atop the steering wheel. Very ergonomic.

And rather comfortable! Especially when using the phone on the horizontal plane and two hands to text.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I've never read something so stupid.

Have you read it on your smartphone?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I've never read something so stupid.

Have you read it on your smartphone?
smile.gif

Yes and my neck is feeling a little funny. But probably a coincidence....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I think it is GREAT...it's a way to "Darwin" some of these
drones out of the gene pool.

....Sorry I annoyed you with my work email, industry and local news reading, and light social communication.

[censored] me, Amirite?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I think it is GREAT...it's a way to "Darwin" some of these
drones out of the gene pool.

I sincerely hope someone as bitter and angry as you does not have children; and you have thus "Darwin"'ed yourself into oblivion. The world could use way less bitterness and arrogant contempt - it improves nothing and only serves to manufacture discord.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Do your worst, smartphones! I've already got a 15°~ off spine thanks to scoliosis.

Thats a third of my sister's...before she had a Harrington's Rod.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Do your worst, smartphones! I've already got a 15°~ off spine thanks to scoliosis.

Thats a third of my sister's...before she had a Harrington's Rod.

This is true. My case is comparatively normal compared to most. How'd she wind up in the end?

I love how pious people love to use things like this against something like a smartphone, because they don't like it. News flash, using a computer, reading a book, or knitting does just as much damage.

I love how pious people love to use things like this against something like a smartphone, because they don't like it. News flash, using a computer, reading a book, or knitting does just as much damage.

Except you won't be blindly walking into me using that laptop, book, or knitting more than likely. But with that blasted phone you will.

I can't tell you how many times I have had these phone drones
walk smack into me while looking at that darn phone screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back