Texas heat question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
You all are welcome to my Christmas Eve (outdoor) swim party.

I`m there brutha! I`ll bring plenty of coldies!!!!!!!
11.gif

04.gif

Originally Posted By: jshaw
...high concentrations of water vapor in very hot air could affect the rate at which engine heat could be absorbed into the surrounding air....

Yup. At any atmospheric temperature below that of the coolant in the radiator, I'll take humid air over dry at a given airflow if cooling performance is the only concern.

jshaw - I was not twisting your statement or taking it out of context.
"Water absorbs heat much slower than air.", is YOUR sentence.
And it is totally wrong.

And it is totally wrong.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Plus,there`s nothing more HAWT and SEXI than a Texas country girl ;^)))))))))

+1

i have my aussie version.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
And it is totally wrong.

Water has a high specific heat. Specific heat is the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance. Because water has a high specific heat, it can absorb large amounts of heat energy before it begins to get hot. It also means that water releases heat energy slowly when situations cause it to cool. Water's high specific heat allows for the moderation of the Earth's climate and helps organisms regulate their body temperature more effectively.

I borrowed this from the website that I referenced above but the information is widely available. Perhaps I am not TOTALLY wrong???????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jshaw
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
And it is totally wrong.

Water has a high specific heat. Specific heat is the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance. Because water has a high specific heat, it can absorb large amounts of heat energy before it begins to get hot. It also means that water releases heat energy slowly when situations cause it to cool. Water's high specific heat allows for the moderation of the Earth's climate and helps organisms regulate their body temperature more effectively.

I borrowed this from the website that I referenced above but the information is widely available. Perhaps I am not TOTALLY wrong???????

Which web site? They seem to have a mis-understanding as well. How quickly an object gives off heat is related to emissivity/radiation properties and the surrounding environment.

In the case of water, it doesn't give off less heat, it just takes longer for it's temperature to drop because the specific heat constant works both ways.

Q=mc(delta[T]) is the equation for energy input with relation to a substance's mass (m), specific heat constant (c), and temperature (T).

With regards to the surrounding environment's temperature playing into the mix, you have probably seen this, but never thought anything of it. Things cool on a logarithmic scale. If you have a very warm object in a very cold environment, it will start rapidly cooling, but start to level off once it gets to within a certain range of equilibrium. If you want an example of this, look at how your car cools down once you shut it off in the dead of winter compared to summer. There is a big time time difference there.

One final thing that plays into the cooling off scenario is how much mixing is going on. If you introduce more mixing into the area, the rate of heat exchange can increase by a large amount.

Last edited:
It's the same with diffusion or osmosis ..wallets. The next issue is the medium through which it passes through and what is soaking it up. Have a bunch of money in your wallet with no insulation from loss. Have a wife and kids to soak it up ..and the throughput will be substantial. It always moves faster into a vacuum.

I realize that the particular region of Texas being discussed has much more humidity than Phoenix. My point was to correct the original post which stated that it only gets to 102/104 here in the summer. It gets to 110 or more most days and stays about 100 at night depending upon where you live.

At the end of the day modern vehicles will have no problem in either environment running even the cheapo oils. If it made a difference, like I stated in my prior post all of the auto makers would be testing the majority of there new vehicles in south texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back