Texaco Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
This my fourth post on this board, its very informative. I have looked through the UOA posts, but I need a little help. What do u guys and gals think of Havoline 5W 30w oil? Its for a 12 valve V6 02 Taurus. It has 19000 miles. I have been using this oil for the last 3 changes. Also have I voided my warranty for not using 5W 20W ? I live in S. Fla its very hot here.

I ran Havoline 10w-30 for 3-4 years in my old Saab 900. The engine was still in good shape @ 300,000 miles when the tranny threw it's chains. I declined to fix the car, ending my time with it.

I used it because it was cheaper by the case than anything else but I changed it every 3000 miles so it did not really matter.

That car had the good manners to die the way all cars should die. Fuel gauge on E, needing tires and some other work, I'd say I got my moneys worth out of it.

Havoline has always been regarded as a very good oil but I think the new stock made by Chevron might be even better. It will have "Chevron/Texaco" on the bottom of the back label. I have found it at Advance and the 10w30 is showing up at Walmart. As far as your warranty, there is much debate over this. Ford states in the warranty booklet they can void your warranty for using the wrong oil, but the damage itself has to be caused by using the wrong oil. I guess it would depend upon individual dealers as to how this was handled. I decided to use 5w20 in my Ranger just so they don't have a leg to stand on if I have a claim.

I've had good results with Havoline products over the past 25 years, and so has my father. And I really liked the Havoline Synthetic. I change it when it starts to get dirty, which has been typically between 5000-7200 miles. My Ranger gets pretty light duty and is pretty easy on the oil, even in the Houston heat.

quote:

Originally posted by JoggingGuy:
I've had good results with Havoline products over the past 25 years,

Havoline is just a brand name. Havoline motor oil used to be made by Texaco, then it was made by Equillon, a joint venture between Texaco and Shell. Presently the Havoline brand name is used on some lubes made by the recently merged ChevronTexaco Corp. Yes, it's good oil. It's not something special, and the past history of the Havoline brand has little or no bearing on the future products. Havoline motor oil currently seems to be identical to Chevron Supreme motor oil.

Ken

[ July 19, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Havoline is just a brand name. Havoline motor oil used to be made by Texaco, then it was made by Equillon, a joint venture between Texaco and Shell. Presently the Havoline brand name is used on some lubes made by the recently merged ChevronTexaco Corp. Yes, it's good oil. It's not something special, and the past history of the Havoline brand has little or no bearing on the future products. Havoline motor oil currently seems to be identical to Chevron Supreme motor oil.

Ken

Well said. The changing of product sources and what actually goes in the bottle is a good reason to keep doing the VOAs as the products change. It would be interesting to see if the "new" Havoline ends up being the same stuff that is the Chevron bottle now.

The run of mergers/aquisitions and formula changes in the oil industry really do make it hard to give advice based on past experience.

Grandpa may have had great results with Kendall straight 30W in his 69 Pontiac or an uncle loved Castrol 10w-40 in an 86 BMW but this probably means nothing to us now. Look to the UOA section for the best answers.

Terry said Mobil 1 has changed its formulation 4 times since the SuperSyn version came out just a little while ago!

I think one thing does remain true however. If you change a decent dino & filter @ 3000 miles you "should" be OK.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
The run of mergers/aquisitions and formula changes in the oil industry really do make it hard to give advice based on past experience.

Grandpa may have had great results with Kendall straight 30W in his 69 Pontiac or an uncle loved Castrol 10w-40 in an 86 BMW but this probably means nothing to us now. Look to the UOA section for the best answers.

Terry said Mobil 1 has changed its formulation 4 times since the SuperSyn version came out just a little while ago!

I think one thing does remain true however. If you change a decent dino & filter @ 3000 miles you "should" be OK.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Well said. What has my strict use of Pennzoil,Prestone, Lubramatic, etc. bought me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back