"Testing" nine different oils in fifteen cars now! Tried a lot of brands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently...

Rotella T Synth 5w-40 in a '97 Volvo 850 and a '96 VW Passat 2.0

German Syntec 0w-30 in my '98 Audi V6 and my female friend's 2004 Passat 1.8t

Belgium Syntec 5w-40 in my woman's '87 I-5 Audi (180k) and a 2004 VW R32

Delvac 1300 15w-40 in '96 Audi A6 12v V6, 2000 Mercedes C 280 (Volvo is switching to it too)

Superflo Syn Blend 10w-30 in a Nissan Sentra and Superflo full syn in a '98 A4 1.8t

Pennzoil LL 15w-40 in a '00 VW Jetta 2.0

Castrol GTX 5w-30 Hi-Mi in a 1999 Saturn

Syntec Blend in a 97 Mitsu, 96 Neon and 97 Acura

I have used in recent memory...

SynPower 5w-30 and 40, Pennzoil Hi-Mi, Mobil 1 30 40 and 50 weights, Chevron Supreme, MaxLife, DuraBlend, regular Valvoline, Mobil DCO and GTX plus have 3 jugs Saab oil waiting at the parts counter. Also, in the shed, 6q of SUV/D1 waiting for a home plus all the GC and SF Blend. Am I insane? Should I just buy a drum?
frown.gif

[ April 25, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

Pretty interesting to see all the different oils there, but if it were me, and I personally was "in charge" of the lube requirements of these vehicles, using a bunch of different oils would drive me crazy!

Of course I don't know the condition of all these vehicles and what the temps. are like where you are located, but why not standardize the "fleet" on a HDEO 5w-40...takes care of viscosity requirements and replaces the HDEO 15w-40's as well. Of course, I don't know how much you want to spend either...

Rotella 5w-40?
Delvac 1?

Jelly, a lot of random choices except the Pennzoil LL in the abused 2000 VW 2.0 bcause I remembered what you said on the subject. SUV/D1 is looking good. I would like to use only GC, D1, Syntec Blend and GTX Hi-Mi to cover all the bases.

I forgot the Pennzoil Hi-Mi in my friend's Fourrunner.

I got bad news about my friend's A4, her oil light has been on and she thought it was the "change oil" light. The Quack Lube I went to with her did something wrong...now I realize that I have to break away from servicing all these cars or put them all on D1 for a whole year at a time. Too much of anything is bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Jelly, a lot of random choices except the Pennzoil LL in the abused 2000 VW 2.0 bcause I remembered what you said on the subject.

Ok, I've slept since we last talked, but isn't the VW suffering from high consumption (that's pretty much the only reason I recommend LL)?

Has consumption gone down?
Smoother, quieter operation?

That car is owned by a young neglectfull woman. It was a "VW-Certified" used car...delivered 1 quart low and dirty old oil (20k mi). I filled it and told her to change it asap. It came back 6 months later with less than one quart left from all summer driving in NJ! I filled and flushed it immediately as my woman's Audi takes the same filter and I had the Rotella on hand so I used it. The girl will not check or add oil, as is common. It came back 6 months later ONLY one quart low. I had the Pennzoil LL ready and after changing it was super-quiet and smooth. That was 2 months ago, I will have some D1/SUV ready for her winter change when I see her again. I'd say the Pennzoil LL works pretty good, thanks for the tip.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back