Testing deep cycle marine battery

I have a deep cycle marine battery. Once I convert MCA to CCA can I use a normal carbon pile load tester and or Midtronics type of tester to test it?

Still 1/2 CCA as load for 15 seconds then look at voltage?

Since a deep cycle battery is not made to handle a starting load I was thinking it might get tested some other way?

I’m not sure there is a good direct conversion from MCA to CCA, since the impedance change with temperature isn’t necessarily linear.

Do you really think you’re going to be cranking in that cold of conditions?

A DC battery should be measured by Ah, not CCA. That said, there’s no reason why you couldn’t test for voltage drop at half the MCA value. Just realize that batteries polarize and will not return anywhere near the nameplate energy content at those rates.

On the web it says to multiply MCA by 0.77 to get an approximate CCA.

My battery tester (low cost version of Midtronics) allows one to enter MCA or CCA or a few others.

Load time and voltage as the time with the prescribed load. .I worked on electric forklifts and the batteries would have a bad cell on a serviceable battery the cell would be changed. With the electric pallet jack that used 4 golf cart batteries. They would be changed if they didn't last the use during the shift. How old is the battery?

Are you using it as a starting battery or a deep cycle. If you are using it as a starting battery you can test it with a carbon pile tester and just use the MCA as your standard because you are not testing it at 0 deg. To test CCA you have to test the batt at the lower temp. Its the reason every new battery tests over the rated value, they always get tested at the MCA temperature. If you are using it as a deep cycle battery you take the AH rating and divide that by 20 to get a discharge current. Then put a load on a fully charged battery that has that draw. It can be a string of tail light bulbs or a headlight bulb or a big carbon pile tester adjusted to that current and you let it run for 10 hrs. Then remove the load and measure the voltage. It should be at 50% or about 12.3v. This assumes they used the 20 hr rate to rate the battery, some manufacturers cheat and use the 100 hr rate to make their batteries look better.

Are you using it as a starting battery or a deep cycle. If you are using it as a starting battery you can test it with a carbon pile tester and just use the MCA as your standard because you are not testing it at 0 deg. To test CCA you have to test the batt at the lower temp. Its the reason every new battery tests over the rated value, they always get tested at the MCA temperature. If you are using it as a deep cycle battery you take the AH rating and divide that by 20 to get a discharge current. Then put a load on a fully charged battery that has that draw. It can be a string of tail light bulbs or a headlight bulb or a big carbon pile tester adjusted to that current and you let it run for 10 hrs. Then remove the load and measure the voltage. It should be at 50% or about 12.3v. This assumes they used the 20 hr rate to rate the battery, some manufacturers cheat and use the 100 hr rate to make their batteries look better.

Lead acid batteries have what is known as the Peukert Effect. Basically, the faster you discharge it, the less total power it will produce. The best test would be to put a modest load on the battery and time how long it takes to get down to a 50% state of charge (~12.1 volts). For instance, you could put a 60w 12v halogen headlight bulb on it and see how long it would take to draw down. 60w is 5 amps so 5amps x hours x 2 would give you a decent measurement of the amp hours your battery can produce under a typical load.

A marine battery is often marketed as a deep cycle battery, but the guts of a real lead acid deep cycle battery are far different.
08-What-Is-A-Deep-Cycle-Battery.jpg

source:

If your marine battery is going to be for house loads, and only emergency starting assist, then how long it can power your house loads is the more important figure than remaining CCA/MCA as displayed by a conductance tester.

The true capacity test is applying a 5 amp load for 20 hours. A new fully charged healthy 100 amp hour battery can provide 5 amps, for 20 hours, before voltage falls to 10.5v, which is considered 100% discharged.

Peukert's law means this same battery cannot provide 20 amps for 5 hours though. Thre are peukert calculators available online, but that 100Ah new healthy battery under a 20 amp load might only be able to deliver 83 amp hours.

The actual 20 hour capacity test is supposed to be done with the batteries at or very near 77f. The pros who get paid to test remaining capacity, use a water bath to keep them there.
The load is to be exact, and not change as the battery voltage falls.
Testing at the 20 hour rate, for 10 hours, can be informative, but the rate at which voltage falls in not linear. It might seem like it is just fine at 10 hours but finds it hit 10.5v at 15 hours.

As long as your starter battery is good, and you remember to switch from both to 1 or 2 on engine shutdown, then an inadequate house battery is not of much consequence.

Will your 'house' battery be able to provide enough juice for the durations of your intended loads?
DO you know the size of those loads? are they around the 20 hour rate( 5 amps for 100ah battery) higher/lower?

How long are the loads going to be experienced?
Can you easily monitor voltage while supporting those loads?

The how much battery power do I have remaining is often perplexing to those first doing so.
12.2v, rested, is generally considered 50% charged for a cycling lead acid 12v battery. a 100Ah battery under a 5 amp load in the 50% range, will read about 11.7v, and if all loads are removed, then the voltage will rebound to the 12.2 range. Perhaps in a minute, perhaps in 5 minutes.

how quickly voltage rebounds after load removal, is indicative of battery health, but also of battery temperature.
Great to have when new, and right now, data for comparison on the same specific battery, as even two off the same assembly line on same day will behave slightly differently.

If loads are well above 5 amps for that 100ah battery, then even if it were new and healthy it could not provide that 100Ah of total capacity, and if they are under that 5 amps, it can exceed that 100Ah of capacity, but not by any huge degree.

As someone who deep cycles lead acid batteries 5 times a week, knowing the amperage load is vital to knowing how the batteries are performing, but so is the columb counter/ amp hour counter, even though its Ah from full display needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and I ignore the % remaining screen as that required the true capacity of the battery be programmed.

To Newbs trying to figure out what they can power, and for how long, I usually recommend just getting a 2 decimal voltmeter, and tell them to use what they want until they are in the 12.20v range. Once there, turn off the loads and watch the voltage rebound.

If the loads were large the voltage rebound will be higher.

As it sucks not knowing the actual size of the loads, it is great to have am ammeter.

There are many inexpensive products on the market now which claim to count amp hours into/out of a battery.

I tried one ~27$ one, that uses a round hall effect sensor through which one puts one battery cable. They are OK, but clunky to program, and they need to be rezeroed when it is known no current is passing through that cable. Since I noticed this major failure I decided against trying to use it to actually count AH or WH in and out and display a percentage remaining, and just use it for amperage. Right now it is on one of my alternators, so I just rezero it before engine starting. After engine shutdown, if I leave it connected to power, it will start drifting from 0.0 amps to as high as 0.7 amps. No way it is making 0.7 amps without spinning.

If one really wants to know the remaining capacity of their battery, then the 20 hour capacity test is the benchmark.
The batteries must be in the 77f range, and the amperage load must be constant as the battery voltage falls from ~12.8 to 10.5v.
A llight bulb that draws 5 amps at 12.8v will not be drawing 5 amps at 10.7v, likely only 3.7 to 4.1 amps, and the test results will be flawed.

If I were trying to achieve truly accurate results doing 20 hour capacity tests I would get a device similar to this:

For those just wanting to see if their unknown health battery can provide what they need, when they need it, I would recommend just getting a 2 or preferably 3 decimal voltmeter, with ground and V sense wires right to battery terminals, amd watch voltage fall when it is powering those loads.

I've got one of these, on each of my external adjustable voltage regulators field wires, temporarily. Though mine are able to be calibrated, whereas I see no mini adjustment pot in the link.

Voltage retention under load is one of the ways to determine battery health, but recharging can also reveal good clues.
A happy healthy lead acid battery needs no less than 105% of the energy taken out of it, to return to true full charge, measured by a hydrometer.
A weak unhealthy battery can be in the 130% range.

I also judge health by 'quench' amperage. Not sure if there is a widespread accepted term for this, but I consider it the amperage the battery requires, from a well depleted state, to instantly be brought to absorption voltage.

My Northstar group 31 TPPL agm, when new, this quench amperage is somewhere over 134 amps. That is the limits of my two adjustable power supplies in parallel.

For comparison my group 31 USbattery flooded marine 'deep cycle' battery this quench amperage was ~65 amps when new and was about 27 amps when I removed it from service.

Obviously such huge charging rates are not to be done each and every time, but the Northstar's seems to love it.
Their voltage retention is always significantly improved on the subsequent deep discharge cycles, and they seem to have more gusto when cranking the engine too, after the high amp recharge from a well depleted state.

I've found long times at float/maintenance voltage, has their voltage retention during lower and slower loads, and engine starting loads, to be less than expected, and a deeper cycle and a high amp recharge returns their impressive performance.

I'd recommend a highly visible voltmeter, and just watch it drop as you use your house loads.
how quickly voltage falls, and how much it falls when you add each specific load, will be highly informative, especially with more and more experience.
Then when you replace the battery you get to see just how poor/good your existing battery was, when you first started cycling it.

Knowing the size of those DC loads, and how they affect that voltage, is significantly better.

The columb/amp hour counter is a wonderful tool as well, especially when first learning, but there are a bunch of considerations and asterix's as to how far one is to trust their readings. Many a boater has claimed to never discharge their batteries much at all , but they died prematurely, and find it was wired or programmed incorrectly and their assumptions that their battery monitor was accurate to 0.1%, were incorrect in the extreme.

As for the conductance tester's ability to relate the remaining capacity of a battery:

A marine battery is often marketed as a deep cycle battery, but the guts of a real lead acid deep cycle battery are far different.
08-What-Is-A-Deep-Cycle-Battery.jpg

source:

If your marine battery is going to be for house loads, and only emergency starting assist, then how long it can power your house loads is the more important figure than remaining CCA/MCA as displayed by a conductance tester.

The true capacity test is applying a 5 amp load for 20 hours. A new fully charged healthy 100 amp hour battery can provide 5 amps, for 20 hours, before voltage falls to 10.5v, which is considered 100% discharged.

Peukert's law means this same battery cannot provide 20 amps for 5 hours though. Thre are peukert calculators available online, but that 100Ah new healthy battery under a 20 amp load might only be able to deliver 83 amp hours.

The actual 20 hour capacity test is supposed to be done with the batteries at or very near 77f. The pros who get paid to test remaining capacity, use a water bath to keep them there.
The load is to be exact, and not change as the battery voltage falls.
Testing at the 20 hour rate, for 10 hours, can be informative, but the rate at which voltage falls in not linear. It might seem like it is just fine at 10 hours but finds it hit 10.5v at 15 hours.

As long as your starter battery is good, and you remember to switch from both to 1 or 2 on engine shutdown, then an inadequate house battery is not of much consequence.

Will your 'house' battery be able to provide enough juice for the durations of your intended loads?
DO you know the size of those loads? are they around the 20 hour rate( 5 amps for 100ah battery) higher/lower?

How long are the loads going to be experienced?
Can you easily monitor voltage while supporting those loads?

The how much battery power do I have remaining is often perplexing to those first doing so.
12.2v, rested, is generally considered 50% charged for a cycling lead acid 12v battery. a 100Ah battery under a 5 amp load in the 50% range, will read about 11.7v, and if all loads are removed, then the voltage will rebound to the 12.2 range. Perhaps in a minute, perhaps in 5 minutes.

how quickly voltage rebounds after load removal, is indicative of battery health, but also of battery temperature.
Great to have when new, and right now, data for comparison on the same specific battery, as even two off the same assembly line on same day will behave slightly differently.

If loads are well above 5 amps for that 100ah battery, then even if it were new and healthy it could not provide that 100Ah of total capacity, and if they are under that 5 amps, it can exceed that 100Ah of capacity, but not by any huge degree.

As someone who deep cycles lead acid batteries 5 times a week, knowing the amperage load is vital to knowing how the batteries are performing, but so is the columb counter/ amp hour counter, even though its Ah from full display needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and I ignore the % remaining screen as that required the true capacity of the battery be programmed.

To Newbs trying to figure out what they can power, and for how long, I usually recommend just getting a 2 decimal voltmeter, and tell them to use what they want until they are in the 12.20v range. Once there, turn off the loads and watch the voltage rebound.

If the loads were large the voltage rebound will be higher.

As it sucks not knowing the actual size of the loads, it is great to have am ammeter.

There are many inexpensive products on the market now which claim to count amp hours into/out of a battery.

I tried one ~27$ one, that uses a round hall effect sensor through which one puts one battery cable. They are OK, but clunky to program, and they need to be rezeroed when it is known no current is passing through that cable. Since I noticed this major failure I decided against trying to use it to actually count AH or WH in and out and display a percentage remaining, and just use it for amperage. Right now it is on one of my alternators, so I just rezero it before engine starting. After engine shutdown, if I leave it connected to power, it will start drifting from 0.0 amps to as high as 0.7 amps. No way it is making 0.7 amps without spinning.

If one really wants to know the remaining capacity of their battery, then the 20 hour capacity test is the benchmark.
The batteries must be in the 77f range, and the amperage load must be constant as the battery voltage falls from ~12.8 to 10.5v.
A llight bulb that draws 5 amps at 12.8v will not be drawing 5 amps at 10.7v, likely only 3.7 to 4.1 amps, and the test results will be flawed.

If I were trying to achieve truly accurate results doing 20 hour capacity tests I would get a device similar to this:

For those just wanting to see if their unknown health battery can provide what they need, when they need it, I would recommend just getting a 2 or preferably 3 decimal voltmeter, with ground and V sense wires right to battery terminals, amd watch voltage fall when it is powering those loads.

I've got one of these, on each of my external adjustable voltage regulators field wires, temporarily. Though mine are able to be calibrated, whereas I see no mini adjustment pot in the link.

Voltage retention under load is one of the ways to determine battery health, but recharging can also reveal good clues.
A happy healthy lead acid battery needs no less than 105% of the energy taken out of it, to return to true full charge, measured by a hydrometer.
A weak unhealthy battery can be in the 130% range.

I also judge health by 'quench' amperage. Not sure if there is a widespread accepted term for this, but I consider it the amperage the battery requires, from a well depleted state, to instantly be brought to absorption voltage.

My Northstar group 31 TPPL agm, when new, this quench amperage is somewhere over 134 amps. That is the limits of my two adjustable power supplies in parallel.

For comparison my group 31 USbattery flooded marine 'deep cycle' battery this quench amperage was ~65 amps when new and was about 27 amps when I removed it from service.

Obviously such huge charging rates are not to be done each and every time, but the Northstar's seems to love it.
Their voltage retention is always significantly improved on the subsequent deep discharge cycles, and they seem to have more gusto when cranking the engine too, after the high amp recharge from a well depleted state.

I've found long times at float/maintenance voltage, has their voltage retention during lower and slower loads, and engine starting loads, to be less than expected, and a deeper cycle and a high amp recharge returns their impressive performance.

I'd recommend a highly visible voltmeter, and just watch it drop as you use your house loads.
how quickly voltage falls, and how much it falls when you add each specific load, will be highly informative, especially with more and more experience.
Then when you replace the battery you get to see just how poor/good your existing battery was, when you first started cycling it.

Knowing the size of those DC loads, and how they affect that voltage, is significantly better.

The columb/amp hour counter is a wonderful tool as well, especially when first learning, but there are a bunch of considerations and asterix's as to how far one is to trust their readings. Many a boater has claimed to never discharge their batteries much at all , but they died prematurely, and find it was wired or programmed incorrectly and their assumptions that their battery monitor was accurate to 0.1%, were incorrect in the extreme.

As for the conductance tester's ability to relate the remaining capacity of a battery:
At this point the battery is in my basement and I just want to know if it's worth putting in my boat or get another. Yes getting a late start to the boating season.

Do you have an ~ 5 amp load you can apply for 10 hours, in your basement?

If so, and it rebounds to the 12.1v range not too long after that ~ 5 amp load is removed, then it is likely acceptable, as a house battery anyway.

My last flooded marine battery was removed from service when its performance became unsettling, yet It performed mostly admirably, in a lesser service, for years afterwards as a low amp draw house battery and its charge current was mostly free solar, not wasting grid power as heat..
It did require lots of water however, especially 2 of the cells.

Last edited:

I recommend people use these on their charging sources, but reverse input and output, and they measure DC loads.

One can see how many amp hours are removed from the battery, flip it around, and then One can also see how much the charging source returns.

This often shows the charging source to be quitting way too soon, but if one can insure a true full charge, and then compare amp hours in vs out, and arrive at say 106% number, they can guess their battery is healthy, and if it requires 135% returned compared to that taken out, then figure that battery is near end of usable life and is wasting charge current as heat.

These wattmeters are imperfect, those with clocks seemto think 57 miutes equals an hour and those displaying a KWH figure, that figure seems to be way off.

There are dozens of clones and most that I have used, read too low under 0.2 actual amps, but are more than accurate enough for my purposes in the 0.5 to 60 amp range.

Though I modify mine with 8 awg leads and only really continuously run 50 to 55 amps through them for about 30 minutes, and they and the 45 amp anderson powerpole connectors I employ, do get warm when doing so.

Be interesting to compare that test's results, to an actual 20 hour capacity test, on an older battery, and a new one of same size/weight.

No so interesting I would actually bother to perform it though.

Not a perfect analogy.

But say you bought a vehicle,
Yet you have no idea the size of the gas tank, nor do you have the ability to actually see its external dimensions to make an educated guess as to its volume.

You do have the ability to fill it, but you cannot judge how full it was when you started filling, nor can you determine how much gas it actually took before it stopped taking any more, and it's also likely you don't know if it could have taken more, if higher pressure was used to fill it's potentially elastic sides. nor can you guess the efficiency of the vehicle.

All you got is a 1/4 mile drag strip, and somehow you expect the time you run the quarter mile, into telling you how far the vehicle can be driven, at a steady 55mph, on that unknown size gas tank. Perhaps that 1/4 mile distance you run, is also kind of arbitrary, give or take a few hundred yards..

Your marine 'house' battery was not designed to run the 1/4 mile, and even if you determine how fast it can run the 1/4 mile, that time has little, to no correlation, to how far it can be driven at 55mph..

If you want to know how far you can drive at 55mph, on an unknown size fuel tank, filled to an unknown level, then drive 55mph on your expected/ intended route Do not hope that accellerating quickly to 120mph, or as fast as it will go, uphill, into a headwind, and stop trying to guess or hope there is a magic formula to translate 1/4 mile times , or max potential speed, into total range, with any degree of repeatable accuracy.

The drag race, at best, would break something, you you can know for sure whether it is worth even trying to drive somewhere longer than 1/2 mile away.

Best of luck.

Reactions: LvR
Back