Testing coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been one that likes to change his coolant. I usually just look at it and if it looks clean, I leave it. Now I am wondering, is there a scientific based test available that could tell me it needs to be changed? I'm talking about something similar to an oil analysis or perhaps a home test kit. School me please.

It's hard to know in what shape the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant in an engine are.
Best thing is to go by time and err on the side of caution and change it slightly early.

There are test kits, but more importantly if you leave it until it turns color there may already be corrosion by-products. My yellow Prestone and my Dexcool have not changed in color in the 5 years when I changed them but YRMV. Maybe someone else has used the test kits?

Last edited:
There are test strips for checking the PH on the traditional green coolant. They are used in the heavy truck diesel engines. I dont know of any that exist for the OAT or HOAT coolants. ( I have been retired for almost 5 yrs so I am out of the game)
The strips do not tell you about any scale or contaminants in the coolant.
The problem with lab testing it would be getting a good sample. It would have to be circulated to get it mixed for any accuracy.

You have another problem if you do not change the coolant, leaking heater core caused by corrosion of the coolant.
In some cars, not too bad to change the core while in others is a real pain/ all the dash comes out.

Amsoil makes coolant test strips advertised as suitable for all colors of coolant...
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...st-strips/?code=G1165-EA#fullDescription

FWIW, I bought a used car with a very neglected cooling system; I replaced the antifreeze, flushed out the system with BG cleaner, then Irontite, paid a shop to "flush" it out for me, (wallet flush), etc. I flushed the system out about 8 times, saving sample containers of each...I finally went to Walmart (in the housewares, canning supplies) and bought some citric acid (used for canning tomatoes)...

I used about 8 oz in a 10 quart system; idled the car for about a 1/2 hour, back flushed the system with a 2 gallon plastic garden sprayer followed by a garden hose WITH THE RADIATOR CAP OFF so as not to over pressurize the system, followed by distilled water followed by blowing it out with compressed air to dry it...end result is the car that used to borderline overheat now runs fine. My opinion is that inexpensive citric acid is the best way to clean out a cooling system.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
Swimming pool PH strips and a voltmeter is what I use spring and fall.

Yep, it's what I do but once a year. I use the strips Amazon sells. I was a diesel mechanic for 30 years and hated dealing with antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back