Test drove an ecoboost 2.0L I4- cannot hear the turbo. Why?

So.....I am one that if I was gunna buy a turbo I need to at least hear it a little. Nope, in no way can you even dream of hearing it.

What are they doing technology wise to silence it, and what can a consumer do to louden it up a bit?

Please do not turn this into a war thread about turbo sound. I personally love it, others do not and cannot stand it. Completely understand both sides of the coin.

You'll hear the turbo if you install an air filter that is more open like a cone intake (such as the ones you can buy from Autozone.) Closed box intakes like OEMs use deaden the sound significantly.

Did you try rolling the window down? I can’t hear them on my Raptor EB normally but if I have the windows down I definitely can. All stock.

Like Pew said, factory intakes are designed to muffle intake/turbo noise. This did make me think about when I learned how to flip the air cleaner cover on my dad's 69 Pontiac 428ci motor, made that great intake roar after doing that!

The thing is tiny, it is not going to make the sounds of a big turbo. Although small being so close to the engine minimizes losses commonly found with larger units mounted further downstream. As for the noise I couldn't care less, quiet is nice for a DD.

ko3.jpg

The only time i hear the turbos on my 2.7 ecoboost is if I actually get on it... and at lower throttle applications if I have the windows down.

Honestly, I'd hate to listen to the turbos all day long... quiet is good in a daily driver. Kind of like some folks like loud on V8 mufflers to hear it all the time... I'd rather hear quiet most of the time.

So.....I am one that if I was gunna buy a turbo I need to at least hear it a little. Nope, in no way can you even dream of hearing it.

What are they doing technology wise to silence it, and what can a consumer do to louden it up a bit?

Please do not turn this into a war thread about turbo sound. I personally love it, others do not and cannot stand it. Completely understand both sides of the coin.

they get louder as they wear... so look for a higher mileage one?

Go with an aftermarket air filter housing assembly to hear the turbo more, aka a “Cold Air Intake”

I like hearing turbos spool also, however I have yet to hear the one on our 1.4 TSI other than some blow off noise. The one on our 1.8 TSI would howl, especially when it was hot out.

The only time i hear the turbos on my 2.7 ecoboost is if I actually get on it... and at lower throttle applications if I have the windows down.

Honestly, I'd hate to listen to the turbos all day long... quiet is good in a daily driver. Kind of like some folks like loud on V8 mufflers to hear it all the time... I'd rather hear quiet most of the time.

I agree. I heard a late model Mustang last night that made the ground rumble. Can you imagine driving that all day?

I have the engine in my Fusion. It is really quiet. Until you install a cold air intake, that is. I have one on my car and it is definitely audible.

Not a single turbo I own (4 cars, 5 turbos) makes noise that can be heard.

Why did you think a brand new car would?

Only time I would hear the turbo on my 17 Regal GS 2.0T is when nailing it getting on the freeway. ;)
The turbo in my Regal GS is very audible with the factory intake. Then again mine is old enough to have the LHU which puts the turbo next to the firewall, yours has the LTG I believe it is which puts it next to the radiator no doubt making it seem a bit more quiet.

Back