Test drove an ecoboost 2.0L I4- cannot hear the turbo. Why?

Ford has a TSB, 20-7092 about turbo noise. The manufacturer goes out of their way to make the turbo not be heard due to customer complaints. Here is the main part of the TSB:

Summary

To assist with determining when turbocharger repairs are necessary, follow the Service Information.

Service Information

Turbocharged engines may make a variety of sounds although the turbocharger is functioning properly. Some examples of normal turbocharger noises that do not indicate a durability concern include, but are not limited to:

• Rattle noise at idle or during light load conditions
• Whine noise that will track with engine speed
• Whoosh noise on acceleration
• Noise with wastegate actuation (creak, squawk)
Axial or radial play in the turbo shaft is normal unless there is evidence of compressor wheel contact with the compressor housing. Do not compare turbocharger noises to other vehicles as part tolerances, engine calibrations, and other factors can cause sound characteristics to vary between otherwise similar vehicles. It is very rare for a turbo to have a problem without setting a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Diagnostics should only be performed for turbocharger noise concerns if other symptoms are present in addition to the noise. The turbo should only be replaced if the pinpoint test for a DTC dire

I really can't hear it on my Subaru 2.0 unless I go WOT (which is frequently ;)) Does the ecoboost have an indicator that shows the boost psi. I really like that feature.

There’s probably a good reason. Turbo whine on a road trip becomes endless hours under a dental drill. When we tow with the eco boost, it really favors having the radio doing something, be it music or a podcast... something. It’s pretty quiet still, but under constant load the high pitch singing gets to ya. a buddy of mine with a stock f250 diesel has the same complaint when he tows his 32’ camper.

with my 2.7 they are near silent for daily use. My son’s 1.5t civic is nearly silent. My previous Volvo turbo was also nicely silent.

with my first turbo, at first I did want the noise, but after some of the tow experience, yeah, quiet is good.

Tiny turbo doesn’t mean no noise. The bottom-mounted turbo in my FXT is audible from the onset of boost. The BPV is also audible at higher loads when letting off suddenly.

I had an 04’ VW TDI and it sounded awesome. Plenty of turbo noise and it sounded like a little tractor. I always rolled down the windows in parking garages.

I can hear the turbo in my Elantra at around 1800-2500 RPM pretty good when accelerating briskly in traffic while short shifting with my front side windows rolled down a little.

So.....I am one that if I was gunna buy a turbo I need to at least hear it a little. Nope, in no way can you even dream of hearing it.

What are they doing technology wise to silence it, and what can a consumer do to louden it up a bit?

Please do not turn this into a war thread about turbo sound. I personally love it, others do not and cannot stand it. Completely understand both sides of the coin.

I installed a CAI or Cold Air Intake and it added that sound I am looking for. At first, I was hesitant, but upon research, I stumbled upon an article that made me realize it won’t be a bad decision since it is not just the sound that would be the benefit but that extra kick when you floor the pedal. The only thing is my gas mileage went up a bit because I enjoy the sound when I throttle it.

So.....I am one that if I was gunna buy a turbo I need to at least hear it a little. Nope, in no way can you even dream of hearing it.

Get you a Fiat. I can easily hear it, and it sounds fantastic. On a cold start as it winds down, thing sounds like an 18 wheeler. Between that and the open exhaust, it's easily the best sounding stock 4 cylinder car sold.

If I'm driving close to a jersey barrier on the passenger side with the windows down I can hear both of mine. The small one spools at almost any throttle angle, and once I get up to 20% throttle I can hear the second one spool. Interesting how they mapped the throttle to hide all the action.

The IHI turbos VW uses has a "turbo muffler" on the turbine outlet, to quiet the noise.

I'm not a fan of it, as I would like to hear the turbo more

I installed a CAI or Cold Air Intake and it added that sound I am looking for. At first, I was hesitant, but upon research, I stumbled upon an article that made me realize it won’t be a bad decision since it is not just the sound that would be the benefit but that extra kick when you floor the pedal. The only thing is my gas mileage went up a bit because I enjoy the sound when I throttle it.

That article reads like spam to me.

In turbo Subies at least, CAI’s are nothing more than noise makers.

I rented a Cruise 1.4T when my car was in the shop(insurance paid for it) and I didn’t hear turbo whine.

a few days ago, a newer CR-V or Accord 1.5T passed me and I heard just some faint turbo whine but not the whistle.

Back