Test Drove a '19 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Anemic...underpowered...and it has a CVT.

No thanks.

Maybe, but it seems to suit the needs of the OP. Not everybody has to have a rocketship.

Congrats Al on the purchase!

Yea..if I need a rocket ship I'll drive my XT. Still not sure why the hate for CVT's
Thanks Delta

You should get many years of service from your new Crosstrek despite the naysayers here.

Rocket cars are very overrated, especially when you can't go over 15 mph on a freeway anyway.

I just upgraded from a 2014 Crosstrek to a 2019.

Before my 2014, I DD a Prius and had (still have) an STI. And my wife has a GTI.

I dont think the Crosstrek was ever "terribly slow" - its be no means fast, but it does what I expect it to do. Handles great, rides great. My only complain is the lack of lumbar support.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by Miller88
Sideways engine + AWD is never a good long term solution.

Say's who?

It's on the interwebs so it must be true.

So for 30 years or so people have been driving inferior cars? Remind me again when I have to push a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

Significantly more difficult to service, more complicated than it needs to be, unreliable (a lot of PDUs fail prematurely) and it's an afterthought design where a transfer case / PDU is just kind of grafted on to a front wheel drive transmission.

I don't mind front wheel drive or transverse engines; as long as they are front wheel drive only. I have never had a problem getting around in the snow with front wheel drive.

Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty
I just upgraded from a 2014 Crosstrek to a 2019.

Before my 2014, I DD a Prius and had (still have) an STI. And my wife has a GTI.

I dont think the Crosstrek was ever "terribly slow" - its be no means fast, but it does what I expect it to do. Handles great, rides great. My only complain is the lack of lumbar support.

How does is the seating comfort on the 2019 compare to the 2014? I ask because I too owned a 2014 XV Crosstrek and I found the front seats larger and more comfortable on my 2016 Forester base model. The main reason I traded that Crosstrek was because of it's horrible 5spd MT. They're a nice car. I just feel the Forester is better value for your $.

Had 2012 Impreza for 5.5 years.

THings to know:

Want accel? Use the flappy paddles! Upshift just before redline. This will reduce 0-60 by 1 second (well, in my car it did).

CVT sucks gas when cold. Combine trips.

MPG will drop drastically after ~60 mph. If you care, drive slower. Absolutely accel as gently as possible if you want to hypermile. Coast to all stop signs. I had 2 high tanks of 38.? MPG in summer this way. Two lane blacktop, 14 stops, 40 miles one-way.

If you hit a cat, the bumper can be heat-gunned from behind, and just push out the dent. Even a year later!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by sloinker

Say's who?

It's on the interwebs so it must be true.

So for 30 years or so people have been driving inferior cars? Remind me again when I have to push a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

Significantly more difficult to service, more complicated than it needs to be, unreliable (a lot of PDUs fail prematurely) and it's an afterthought design where a transfer case / PDU is just kind of grafted on to a front wheel drive transmission.

I don't mind front wheel drive or transverse engines; as long as they are front wheel drive only. I have never had a problem getting around in the snow with front wheel drive.

subaru boxer aren't transverse engines...

I used to have that ancient mind set owning past turbo Subaru's. However my 2007 Acura MDX with SH AWD and 200k miles trouble free mechanically not sure.

Subaru's non turbo standard engines have always been relatively anemic vehicles, part of the brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Subdued

I got confused with his arguments.

I really don't know why anyone can make an argument against the Subaru AWD.

The cars are designed from the ground up to be AWD. This isn't some bolt on PTU solution they came up with to make a FWD car become AWD. They design them from scratch to be nothing but AWD.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Congrats, Al! I've bought two new (to me) Subarus in the past year as well, but they are still EJ253s with 4EATs. You're assembling a nice squad there.

How is the 0W20 experiment in the FXT going?

I drained it about 5 weeks ago. I have the 0w-20 data but have not yet run the course with 5W-30. I can tell you it was about 5 to 6% better with 20 at.
Have you done head gaskets or the full timing belt kits yet. Yes that's a problem with the ej' s. But after the mls gaskets are in you are good for another 150k miles

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by pandus13

AL, has had Subarus for decades.
I don't think he will switch brands.
If he wants, user BOOMER has one as a granma and granpa 's car

lol..all true.
By coincidence in the middle of posting. My guy called. Bought it over the phone.
White Premium: list $27090. Getting it for $25570.

What he told me. (and feel free to poo-poo) this info: They have no white Premiums coming to the dealership til July. The demand is so high for crosstreks that many never get to the dealer they were originally going to. And I know that bc I bought my Premium XT last year when it was on route to Maryland...lol.

Sounds like a car that will suit your use well and well bought.
We looked at the Crosstrek as well as the Outback when we bought the newer Forester. Wife preferred the Forester, so a Forester it was.
As an aside, what is it about Subaru threads that brings out all the trolls?
Amazing the technical knowledge people who've never owned one espouse.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

As an aside, what is it about Subaru threads that brings out all the trolls?
Amazing the technical knowledge people who've never owned one espouse.

Yea..not as bad with this thread. Yea Forester is a great choice. You look at the road tests for the the Crosstrek and they love it. The weak point is the interior and the engine power but I actually think the interior is well laid out.

The ground clearance is 8.7" It really is in a class by itself in this carline. They tested it under extraordinarily bad conditions and it really excelled.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15090033/2018-subaru-crosstrek-first-drive-review/

Originally Posted by bobdoo
Had 2012 Impreza for 5.5 years.

MPG will drop drastically after ~60 mph. If you care, drive slower. Absolutely accel as gently as possible if you want to hypermile. Coast to all stop signs. I had 2 high tanks of 38.? MPG in summer this way. Two lane blacktop, 14 stops, 40 miles one-way.

Seems to be a Subaru specific driving habit around here. 34 in a 45 will put you in good standing with other subie drivers.

I really don't know why anyone can make an argument against the Subaru AWD.

The cars are designed from the ground up to be AWD. This isn't some bolt on PTU solution they came up with to make a FWD car become AWD. They design them from scratch to be nothing but AWD.

Exactly! The bolt on PTU, nomatter on "well" designed it is, is just an afterthought. Unserviceable due to inaccessibility.

I don't care for AWD anyway --- just don't see it as necessary. But the Subaru System is one of the better ones since it's part of the design.

Almost everything else is, and I don't care for them.

Originally Posted by Cujet
[
Seems to be a Subaru specific driving habit around here. 34 in a 45 will put you in good standing with other subie drivers.

That is just a plain stupid comment.

Crosstrek is a fantastic value. Good point about the AWD. It's designed ground up with the AWD in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back