Tesla's new robotic charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
tesla1_3400543a.gif

When have people became so lazy that we need a dang robot to insert a plug?

Idiocracy...here we come.

The SAE J1772 connector (5 and 7 pin) are pretty foolproof. That said, any time that one is dealing with the potential for an arc flash (eg contactors welded shut or something), where I guess human out of the loop would be smart.

I think this is mainly for "fancy" car owners who dont want to touch the charging station, or want to press a button in the garage and have it connect. Implementing such a thing really isnt that hard.

Plus you can be sure that people are afraid of electricity, so the no touch capability may help overcome some fears (even if not substantiated).

Originally Posted By: sasha
What if this thing malfunctions and misses the hole?

There are analog connections that must be made and handshake before the contactors close for charging at the higher voltage DC side. This is all well defined in the use cases under SAE J1772. One variant of connector just supports slow charging, and another (with two additional pins) allows for enabling of a level 2 charging at higher current rate.

The car gets all frustrated and smokes a cigarette.

Since apparently we here in Oregon do not have the capability to pump our own gas I guess they are meant for Oregon and New Jersey only
smile.gif

Yea there's a warning not to clean the rear window while standing near it...

I believe the goal is so that you can pull up to your front door, get out and go inside your house, then the car will drive itself to your garage and plug itself in. Then when you leave for work in the morning, the car knows what time to meet you at your front door with the HVAC and radio settings as you want, then you just get in and go.

This is a gimmick Tesla should not spend R&D resource on, they should concentrate on improving manufacture processes to increase production to meet demand. They also need increase R&D resource to bring next model(s) online as scheduled, instead of keep delaying month after month, quarter after quarter.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
That is super creepy!

LOL! I was actually worried the robot might violate the forum's no R/S/P policy.
grin2.gif

Exactly (or something like it). The company (ies) which provide their assembly line robots could easily throw one of these prototype-looking things in as a freebie.

Frankly, that video clip looked lame...almost like a high school science project winner from the 6 o'clock news. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back