Tesla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by dogememe
Yeah, plus it is probably your friend's credit card connected to Tesla, right?

601 MPH? Awesome!
Plug into 110v at home and get 4 or 5 mph...

I rented it on turo, it includes free supercharging. I had $1100 of rental credit that Turo gave me because of an issue I had renting my Escape on their platform and that credit was going to expire at the end of the year.

Never heard of Turo. How much is it to rent a Model 3 Performance?
I am kinda tired of letting people drive ours! Ha!

Truro is priced according to what a car owner wants to rent vehicle for and absorb the fees Truro collects for transaction and insurance. Typically market driven

Yeah, plus it is probably your friend's credit card connected to Tesla, right?

601 MPH? Awesome!
Plug into 110v at home and get 4 or 5 mph...

I rented it on turo, it includes free supercharging. I had $1100 of rental credit that Turo gave me because of an issue I had renting my Escape on their platform and that credit was going to expire at the end of the year.

Never heard of Turo. How much is it to rent a Model 3 Performance?
I am kinda tired of letting people drive ours! Ha!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Electric cars are here to stay - 55 moving parts on a ModelX -that is pretty darn impressive.
On the Model3 it possibly could be lesser but they are the future - it hight time to take the mullahs into the Arabian ocean.

So... I'm borrowing someone's Tesla Model 3, fully loaded with performance package etc for 4 days and I just picked it up this morning.

Before this day I have always thought electric cars were dumb and boring. Well, I'm coming around.

The driving experience in this thing is just nuts. The feeling when you press the gas (uh, battery pedal?) Is just something completely different. I've ridden in a Bolt, it was cool, but this is way, way better.

I might post a complete review of it once my 4 days are up but for now all I have to say is WOW.

I am going to drive my current fleet for quite a while longer as I can't afford a Tesla but in a few years and/or when I can afford something like this, well, hopefully Ford's F-150 EV will be ready because electric is just so fun to drive.

I'd be interested in discussing how the future of the automotive industry is going to be because I work at an auto parts store and besides maybe wipers and washer fluid and cleaning products we sell nothing else for these cars.

EV's still have shocks, lights, steering systems, transmissions, brakes, but ya in 10 yrs you're going to see a drastic shift and increase in the cost of gasoline/diesel powered vehicles. Alternators, Starters, Spark plugs, Injectors, Belts, Exhaust components, Sensors, are all going to go up in price because companies are going to stop making them unless the components are used in some other market (Central/South America, Africa, SE Asia).

There is no doubt that Tesla products perform really well but you have to remember that even with the high prices Tesla still loses money. This is even with there fit and finish problems. BTW..the vast majority of Tesla's are leased.

The EV's which are built to be profitable by other manufacturers will have a slightly different driving experience.

Last edited:
BMWTurboDzl said:
dogememe said:
There is no doubt that Tesla products perform really well but you have to remember that even with the high prices Tesla still loses money. This is even with there fit and finish problems. BTW..the vast majority of Tesla's are leased.
/quote]
The vast majority of EVs are leased except Teslas. About 80% (other than Tesla) are leased; Tesla is believed to be in the higher 80% purchaed.
Tesla is in a growrth mode; building and designing new cars and a world wide charging network.
Opening new factories... Startup is very expensive. They just announced another factory in Germany.
They only build EVs; they do not have other car sales to leverage revenue.
That's the key reason they have seen very few profitable quarters.
They sell every Model 3 they can make; when the Model Y is released next year, watch out.

EV Lease vs Buy numbers

Last edited:
BMWTurboDzl said:
dogememe said:
/quote]
The vast majority of EVs are leased except Teslas. About 80% (other than Tesla) are leased; Tesla is believed to be in the higher 80% purchaed.
Tesla is in a growrth mode; building and designing new cars and a world wide charging network.
Opening new factories... Startup is very expensive. They just announced another factory in Germany.
They only build EVs; they do not have other car sales to leverage revenue.
That's the key reason they have seen very few profitable quarters.
They sell every Model 3 they can make; when the Model Y is released next year, watch out.

EV Lease vs Buy numbers

Perhaps, I'm speaking from anecdotal experience since Tesla hasn't provided their buy-vs-lease data.

How long is Tesla going to be considered a start up? 30yrs? 50yrs?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Perhaps, I'm speaking from anecdotal experience since Tesla hasn't provided their buy-vs-lease data.

How long is Tesla going to be considered a start up? 30yrs? 50yrs?

Oh sorry. Tesla is not a start up; I meant they are investing in new factories. Nevada, China with Germany next.
New factories are a huge expenditure that are expected to offer return on investment.
Tesla is in growth mode, which requires investment.

Yeah, anecdotal evidence is not scientific evidence.
For example i know a lot of EV owners; I talk to them all the time especially at work where the charging stations are.
Most BMWs seem to be leased, many of the Leafs are. Bolts are a mix.
I don't know of any leased Teslas. That certainly does not mean there aren't any.
By the way, the Bolt drivers flat out love their cars.

My take:

Unless battery tech improves by an order of magnitude. Fuel powered vehicles are here to stay. Especially air travel.

I absolutely love the better EV's and I want one. But they won't work for me. For the same old reasons, cost, highway range, towing capability and out of warranty risk. Plus, I have no intention of napping while it charges.

Last edited:
The worst thing about Tesla is Elon Musk. Visionary? Maybe... Ego maniac who makes decisions based on his ego and not what's best or logical? Yup. Tesla's only hope is an ever decreasing influence from Elon. That "truck" is a monstrosity and clearly Elon trying to prove he can "force" just about anything down consumer's throats with genius. I don't believe half of the "preorders" will be fulfilled. In the end esthetics IS a major part of automobile sales and that thing is just too radical. I'm staying away until Elon shows better judgment and/or he's no longer in charge. He's just too volatile....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jjblbi
A friend at work leased a Model 3 last month $410/month, 12k miles a year. Two years free charging.

How does that free charging work?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by jjblbi
A friend at work leased a Model 3 last month $410/month, 12k miles a year. Two years free charging.

How does that free charging work?

The charger identifies the car and the account associated with it is either billed- or the bill is waived.

You can be fined by loitering at a charger.

UD

There's now a $2,000 over-the-air Boost available for Model 3 Dual Motor - Long Range owners. Claimed 0-60 drops from 4.4 to 3.9 seconds.

Drag Times just did a test and got 4 mile. Acceleration is almost in-par with the Model 3 Performance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back