Tesla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I'm borrowing someone's Tesla Model 3, fully loaded with performance package etc for 4 days and I just picked it up this morning.

Before this day I have always thought electric cars were dumb and boring. Well, I'm coming around.

The driving experience in this thing is just nuts. The feeling when you press the gas (uh, battery pedal?) Is just something completely different. I've ridden in a Bolt, it was cool, but this is way, way better.

I might post a complete review of it once my 4 days are up but for now all I have to say is WOW.

I am going to drive my current fleet for quite a while longer as I can't afford a Tesla but in a few years and/or when I can afford something like this, well, hopefully Ford's F-150 EV will be ready because electric is just so fun to drive.

I'd be interested in discussing how the future of the automotive industry is going to be because I work at an auto parts store and besides maybe wipers and washer fluid and cleaning products we sell nothing else for these cars.

We could probably do well to have more info on the battery pack replacement for those who will be buying used ones in 5 years. Also, these things will still be needing the full range of suspension parts.

Last edited:
Nikola Tesla died, trying to convince people how great 3-phase AC electricity was so much better than Edison's DC to power the world over a 120 years ago. Look at where we are now!!! He was out of this world! Look it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
We could probably do well to have more info on the battery pack replacement for those who will be buying used ones in 5 years. Also, these things will still be needing the full range of suspension parts.

According to this article, there has been little fall off in battery range in very high mileage vehicles.

https://qz.com/1737145/the-economic...-million-miles/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I'm thinking of buying one. What's holding me back? - no spare tire, digital odometer (I'd hate that), strange controls (I'd really hate that).

Originally Posted by ecotourist

According to this article, there has been little fall off in battery range in very high mileage vehicles.

I'm thinking of buying one. What's holding me back? - no spare tire, digital odometer (I'd hate that), strange controls (I'd really hate that).

I hear you on the digital controls. To adjust the mirrors you have to dig in the menu on the tablet-like thing and then use the little thingy on the steering wheel to move the mirror. Then you have to hit Save
smirk.gif

The Model 3 is flat out amazing. It is a point and shoot car. And it is the future.
When people drive ours and experience just a little acceleration, they say, "Wow! Is this the fast one?"
I say, "No, this is the slow one."

The tablet interface takes getting used to, unless you are a kid.
My nieces took to it like nothing. Young people always do.

Cars have been getting better, especially considering less maintenance, forever.
In the 60's you replaced spark plugs every 12K miles. Cap and rotor, wires, etc.
I could go into Kragens and pick between 8 brands of breaker points, starting at like $2.
Good bias ply tires lasted 20K miles until the Michelin radial came to America.
The radial tire changed everything and put recaps outta business.
Most automatic transmissions were tired by 60K, unless they were a Torqueflight or a C4.
And GM ATs were 2 speeds until 1967.

The Tesla, and EVs in general, are the next step in quality.
Enjoy your Model 3. We sure do...

Last edited:
Id buy a tesla if they would come up with something really crazy looking, possibly with thick stainless steel body.

Originally Posted by ecotourist

Oh, the batteries do degrade. There's no arguing that. What they do is build in so much margin, and then limit the accessible capacity, so that consistent performance is gained.

That excess margin means tappable capacity for ludicrous modes and whatnot... and since batteries are best served charging slow, the excess margin not in the nameplate means that the true power to energy ratio in there is different, and lower.

And it also means a lot more cost to get the capability.

The Tesla's last a very long time with minimal maintenance. Mostly tires and you should make it to 500,000 miles without major problems in my opinion. I have heard you don't want to wreck one because parts might be difficult to get. I wouldn't mind one but they are not worth close to $50,000 new. If the price would go down a little and I had more time to drive around aimlessly it would be great.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The Model 3 is flat out amazing. It is a point and shoot car. And it is the future.
When people drive ours and experience just a little acceleration, they say, "Wow! Is this the fast one?"

Cars have been getting better, especially considering less maintenance, forever.
In the 60's you replaced spark plugs every 12K miles. Cap and rotor, wires, etc.
I could go into Kragens and pick between 8 brands of breaker points, starting at like $2.
Most automatic transmissions were tired by 60K, unless they were a Torqueflight or a C4.

Agree with most of post but just to nitpick the GM Hydromatic predates the Powerglide by at least a decade. We got 30,000 out of good quality points and 50,000 out of plugs. The right side mirror on my wifes 66 GTO was controlled by a toggle connected by cable to the mirror. Simple and effective. The Hydromatic in my 57 Olds went over a 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by dogememe
So... I'm borrowing someone's Tesla Model 3, fully loaded with performance package etc for 4 days and I just picked it up this morning.

Before this day I have always thought electric cars were dumb and boring. Well, I'm coming around.

The driving experience in this thing is just nuts. The feeling when you press the gas (uh, battery pedal?) Is just something completely different. I've ridden in a Bolt, it was cool, but this is way, way better.

I might post a complete review of it once my 4 days are up but for now all I have to say is WOW.

I am going to drive my current fleet for quite a while longer as I can't afford a Tesla but in a few years and/or when I can afford something like this, well, hopefully Ford's F-150 EV will be ready because electric is just so fun to drive.

I'd be interested in discussing how the future of the automotive industry is going to be because I work at an auto parts store and besides maybe wipers and washer fluid and cleaning products we sell nothing else for these cars.

Are we being trolled?

It's why they're the future. Electric motors are vastly superior to internal combustion in pretty much every imaginable way. Batteries were the only thing holding them back.

Originally Posted by E365
It's why they're the future. Electric motors are vastly superior to internal combustion in pretty much every imaginable way. Batteries were the only thing holding them back.

I wonder how many of the electric car haters would like to go back to the gas powered washing machines of the past?

Originally Posted by edwardh1

and gm air con compressor seals died at 70,000 miles

Well, Tesla Supercharging is pretty cool (albeit I'd rather have a supercharger on my Suburban)... Did some work on my laptop while I waited. You can fully charge the car in about an hour!

And yes the screen in the Tesla is literally bigger than my laptop!

PS: Only thing that was weird is you can hear a metal popping/expanding sound from the battery pack while Supercharging.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Yeah, plus it is probably your friend's credit card connected to Tesla, right?

601 MPH? Awesome!
Plug into 110v at home and get 4 or 5 mph...

Last edited:

601 MPH? Awesome!

I rented it on turo, it includes free supercharging. I had $1100 of rental credit that Turo gave me because of an issue I had renting my Escape on their platform and that credit was going to expire at the end of the year.

Originally Posted by dogememe

601 MPH? Awesome!

I rented it on turo, it includes free supercharging. I had $1100 of rental credit that Turo gave me because of an issue I had renting my Escape on their platform and that credit was going to expire at the end of the year.

Never heard of Turo. How much is it to rent a Model 3 Performance?
I am kinda tired of letting people drive ours! Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back