Tesla vs Porsche...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Who cares when there has been only one other production car which was not a Tesla to drive this track? B F D.

Huh?! Dozens upon dozens of production cars have published laps at Leguna Seca.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Model S fastest 4 door EVER electric or not at Laguna Seca!

https://electrek.co/2019/09/11/tesla-model-s-breaks-laguna-seca-lap-records-elon-musk/

UD

They set a record for 4 door car at a short track that 4 door performance sedans hardly ever show up to set records at........OK

Also, short track + electric...

Still, it's a helluva accomplishment. Cant take away from that.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Question...why not a twin turbo late 90s viper? So much cooler and faster than Tesla. Not to mention cheaper. Meh.

Do you want to die? Because that's how you die. That is a vehicle that does not give a [censored] whether you live or die. I'd love to go for a few all out laps on a track in one!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6
Question...why not a twin turbo late 90s viper? So much cooler and faster than Tesla. Not to mention cheaper. Meh.

Do you want to die? Because that's how you die. That is a vehicle that does not give a [censored] whether you live or die. I'd love to go for a few all out laps on a track in one!

At least it's honest about it, unlike Tesla, who pumps out vehicles that take nearly 200 feet to stop from 60mph and then says "Oh, yeah...we need to update the software, didn't know it did that...", lol!

I mean, if I'm going to get wonky body-panel gaps and kit-car level build quality, then get one with some soul.

*ETA Yes, I've owned and driven 5-600hp cars...they are like really hot bipolar girlfriend that carries a knife.

Originally Posted by Ws6

At least it's honest about it, unlike Tesla, who pumps out vehicles that take nearly 200 feet to stop from 60mph and then says "Oh, yeah...we need to update the software, didn't know it did that...", lol!

Pots calling the kettle black for sure here...

...and then there was the second recall in 2018 , partially to fix the stuff that didn't get fixed on the first recall,

complete failures, foot to the floor, incorrectly fixed the first time, loose bolts, long stopping distances.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...udi-recall-sedans-suvs-for-brake-issues/

Tesla fixed the "problem" without multiple trips to the dealer,
VW's software problem was just as bad if not worse as the ABS could fail, affected more vehicles and required at least one trip to correct.

LOL is right.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365

Who cares when there has been only one other production car which was not a Tesla to drive this track? B F D.

Huh?! Dozens upon dozens of production cars have published laps at Leguna Seca.

There was only one other EV (Jag). I left out that context.

GM predicts to get to OTA in another year or two (what's that a decade after tesla? ) - I guess the franchise laws will change as others catch up.

Lots of production cars on Laguna Seca.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

UD

I meant EV.

The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR holds the current production car lap record with 1:28.65.
The Porsche 918 Spyder held the previous production car lap record with 1:29.89.
A Mission Motors Mission R, ridden by Steve Rapp, holds the outright EV lap record with a time of 1:31.376.

The Model 3 isn't far behind... 1:37.5
Model 3 @ Laguna Seca

Originally Posted by Ws6

Pots calling the kettle black for sure here...

...and then there was the second recall in 2018 , partially to fix the stuff that didn't get fixed on the first recall,

complete failures, foot to the floor, incorrectly fixed the first time, loose bolts, long stopping distances.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...udi-recall-sedans-suvs-for-brake-issues/

Tesla fixed the "problem" without multiple trips to the dealer,
VW's software problem was just as bad if not worse as the ABS could fail, affected more vehicles and required at least one trip to correct.

LOL is right.

UD

Ya, you don't see me in a VW or Audi either, do you? My girlfriend DID briefly consider an A3, so I went on a test ride with her. Not impressed with the car, but I understand the A3 isn't a "real" Audi.

I saw the video of the couple asleep in their Tesla while driving in Boston and now I'm very interested in getting one for myself

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I saw the video of the couple asleep in their Tesla while driving in Boston and now I'm very interested in getting one for myself

Screw that. A computer will never replicate a human brain...for better or worse. The Tesla may be 100% flawless in driving the vehicle, but when it comes to seeing the guy ahead weaving, or the car that just doesn't look like it will stop for the redlight, the human brain is peerless.

Leguna Seca lap in a Model S with the prototype 3-motor Plaid Mode powertrain.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

I have not seen that video, but please understand many of those sleeping videos are staged.
If it were real, the driver should be severely dealt with.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR holds the current production car lap record with 1:28.65.
The Porsche 918 Spyder held the previous production car lap record with 1:29.89.
A Mission Motors Mission R, ridden by Steve Rapp, holds the outright EV lap record with a time of 1:31.376.

The Model 3 isn't far behind... 1:37.5
Model 3 @ Laguna Seca

WHAT? A difference of "mere" 7 seconds?? That is like eternity when one talks lap times! I know you like your Model 3 (so do I) but tone it down.

Originally Posted by Vikas

WHAT? A difference of "mere" 7 seconds?? That is like eternity when one talks lap times! I know you like your Model 3 (so do I) but tone it down.

I hafta think that many "performance" cars would do worse.
For example, the BMW M3 typically turns slower lap times the a Model 3; both stock.
And all but the Model 3P ride on all season tires.

Now, if you were driving your 3, the S times would be in deep yogurt!
I, on the other hand, putter around, enjoying life in a sea of Silicon Valley Teslas... Ha!
Haven't spotted one of those Taycans yet...

Model 3 vs M3

Last edited:
Loading up at the Nürburgring racetrack...
We will have to wait for the official times; this means nothing at this point.
But it is fun; kudos to the Taycan for pushing the envelope.

When will the changes end up in production?

Model S

Last edited:
Back