Tesla Update 2022.16.1.2

A couple of interesting updates, among other minor ones...

1 - "Energy prediction for your route has been improved by incorporating forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature when using online navigation.
Before the update, Tesla's routing system estimated energy usage by distance, elevation changes, and some additional information such as your vehicle type and its wheel configuration.
The new Navigation Energy Prediction makes this projection even more definitive by forecasting wind conditions, assessing if you will be driving into a headwind or crosswind, determining the humidity, and gauging the ambient temperature.

Of course this is more important on longer trips, which I do not currently use our Model 3 for.

2 - Updated Visualizations from FSD Beta now added into production software.
"This update includes new, more detailed vehicle models that have doors, windows, glass roofs, and wheels. Although the car models are the same ones used in FSD Beta, only the vehicle models are being carried over to production builds right now.
It doesn't appear to include anything else the betas are currently detecting and displaying, such as road edges, drivable areas, open doors or blinkers."

3 - Regeneration / Acceleration Line "The line directly above the speedometer reading in a Model 3 and Model Y shows the amount of regenerative braking (green) or acceleration (black) that is occuring. The center of the line is neutral where there is no acceleration or regenerative braking occuring.
The further the line grows to the left, the greater the amount of regenerative braking is taking place, and the more it goes to the right, the greater the acceleration."

Updates 2 and 3 are undocumented; Tesla likes to surprise owners with these "gifts". It is like opening a present. As a development programmer in business analytics, I find this interesting, fun and important. I considered my job to be, "Don't give them what they asked for; give them what they need." If you can throw something extra, something meaningful, into a release, users will be drawn to your work.

The forecast (and observed) winds we use in aviation have been an instrumental part of flight planning nearly forever. Interesting that this has been incorporated into cars! Love that.

I can see how EV's can use wind information to better inform the driver.

The forecast (and observed) winds we use in aviation have been an instrumental part of flight planning nearly forever. Interesting that this has been incorporated into cars! Love that.

Always drive with a tail wind for maximum efficiency.

The GMC Hummer EV uses weather info for route and range planning too.

I’m having trouble figuring this out. I know a tailwind might help but that is something nobody has control over.

I’m having trouble figuring this out. I know a tailwind might help but that is something nobody has control over.
Correcting the range prediction for head or tail winds actually seems very useful.

In some conditions, winds have a big impact on range. Not a big deal with a gasoline station every dozen miles, but when you’re stretching to make the next EV station, it could Be a critical determinant in whether or not you’ll make it.

Correcting the range prediction for head or tail winds actually seems very useful.

In some conditions, winds have a big impact on range. Not a big deal with a gasoline station every dozen miles, but when you’re stretching to make the next EV station, it could Be a critical determinant in whether or not you’ll make it.

And not such a big deal in day-to-day use. The goal is, of course, more accurate trip charge requirement calculations.
Not to mention help with range anxiety, which is real and has to be an impediment to sales.

From a 1000 foot level, incremental improvements make for a better product.

And not such a big deal in day-to-day use. The goal is, of course, more accurate trip charge requirement calculations.
Not to mention help with range anxiety, which is real and has to be an impediment to sales.

From a 1000 foot level, incremental improvements make for a better product.
Whoaaaaaaa.... range anxiety does indeed exist?

Whoaaaaaaa.... range anxiety does indeed exist?
Here's how it went down for me...
When we 1st got the Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2018, we drive around looking for places to charge. Tesla makes it pretty easy in CA and especially Silicon Valley with their Supercharger network and car's software.
Then you learn about shopping centers, hospitals, city halls and the best of all, charging at work for a subsidized rate or even free. You realize, "This is doable."

But it is different than ICE. You gotta learn. If I couldn't charge at home, I would not own an EV. It works for me because we have solar panels; I realize I live in a bit of a bubble.
I can tell you one thing for sure, there is nothing like starting out each day with a full tank. I will buy another Tesla.

The range should be displayed already and headwinds or uphill grades should reflect on that reading.

You can't predict the wind.
The logic is not about predicting the wind; it is about measuring it as you go. Teslas are always online; they use your position's weather. Based on your route, destination and location the algorithms calculate your expected remaining charge to better advise you regarding charging requirements.

The logic is not about predicting the wind; it is about measuring it as you go. Teslas are always online; they use your position's weather. Based on your route, destination and location the algorithms calculate your expected remaining charge to better advise you regarding charging requirements.

Back