Tesla Truck will need power of 4,000 homes!

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Battery pack is water cooled and thermally managed, so the effects of supercharging are moderated.

UD

https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla-limits-supercharging-speed-number-charges/

Quote:
Supercharger General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found. Review vehicle logs and verify charging is topping out a lower rate than observed on earlier DC charging sessions. According to Tesla engineers, once vehicle has been DC fast charged over a specified amount, the battery management system restricts DC charging to prevent degradation of the battery pack. According to Tesla engineers, this vehicle has seen significant DC fast charging and is now has permanently restricted DC charging speeds. Important to note, supercharging will always still be available to the vehicle and the battery pack has not yet experienced significant degradation due to the amount of DC fast charging performed on the pack up until this point in time. Vehicle is operating as designed.

as to my statements regarding solar powered trucks...Just DO THE MATH...pick a Walmart near you, use Google Earth to calculate the roof area, a local solar calculator to get the energy produced on an average day...Even if Musk made 100% efficient cells (impossible, but to say that he can't achieve over unity is buggy whip talk)...it can't be done.

Solar power is just an offset to grid - an offset that will grow nearly eternally.
We got mostly empty roof everywhere here in the states, and thousdands of Sq miles of otherwise useless desert.

Having a bunch of it myself - I understand solar yield.

The whole scheme leans on delivery of massive current for sure- we can do that domestically.

Batteries aren't a perfect solution, but they are viable in some applications - that is no longer deniable.

they will become better and more viable as scale of production increases.

UD

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Underachiever, Elon Musk is not. I'd hesitate to even call him a Rainmaker. It would be an insult to him.

Elon Musk is Hitler during Barbarossa. (not a moral comparison. A strategic one.) Science fiction accomplishments. Unprecedented victory. Looking golder than gold.

But like the Wehrmacht, the chinks are starting to form in the armor. Reach is being overextended.

He's not a very good car manufacturer. That's his track record. Is he going to be a good truck manufacturer? Probably not.

Does he spout a bunch of lies, consistently? Yes.

Like a James Bond villain, does he want to use his corporation and products to lock people into his will and vision, or else? Yes.

The Model 3 is still impractical and not affordable. The company doing both still doesn't make any money doing it.

A shopping mall has incredible roof space, but are the retailers going to be willing to pay out the nose for all of this to be done on their property? Does the mall just eat the expense? Easy enough to say, "Just pass along the cost!", once you ignore the fact that the people you pass it on to can just turn and run away.

Don't forget how capitalism works. What happens when the power companies wake up and realize that there's enough people reliant enough on the system that they can't just run away? Yup. You just exchanged one tyrant for another tyrant.

But all of that is in doing the fact that this truck doesn't exist aside from someone's imagination. An imagination that has been seriously faulty in recent times.

Musk is a REALLY GOOD salesman, and borderline cult leader. Way too many people think he is the messiah, and follow his accomplishments with religious fervor. They are as immune to facts as any other zealots.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Garak
Of course, the more he promises and the less he delivers, well, goodbye credibility.

The more that he overpromises, the more his fans place in the "someone else will solve that later" category, not accepting that he's overpromising.

That is how religious zealots react.

He's a salesman with incredible accomplishments under his belt.

Zealots, and Religion never actually deliver anything - aside from the profits of mega preachers.

Last nights successful Falcon-9 10 bird iridium deployment is a mere notch in the actual record of Spacex

It was the 51st SpaceX launch.
It was the 47th Falcon 9 launch.
It was the 7th Falcon 9 launch from the West Coast.
It was the 18th Falcon 9 launch this year.

It was the 5th reflight of an orbital class vehicle.

It was the 2nd and final flight of the B1036 which was expended.

- a real charlatan huh? Seems to me like this guys company and himself know how to do some math, but like all grand accomplishments are usually late.

Howard Hughes was similarly castigated, mocked and doubted while changing the industries he competed in.

UD

unmitigated success....

https://www.redstate.com/setonmotley/2017/11/30/elon-musk-welfare-king’s-latest-failure-government-cronyism-cover-ups/

unmitigated success....

https://www.redstate.com/setonmotley/2017/11/30/elon-musk-welfare-king’s-latest-failure-government-cronyism-cover-ups/

Why even post something from a site like that? Why waste your time?

Zealots, and Religion never actually deliver anything - aside from the profits of mega preachers.

Last nights successful Falcon-9 10 bird iridium deployment is a mere notch in the actual record of Spacex

- a real charlatan huh? Seems to me like this guys company and himself know how to do some math, but like all grand accomplishments are usually late.

Howard Hughes was similarly castigated, mocked and doubted while changing the industries he competed in.

UD

What does his rocket company have to do with Tesla?

What does Howard Hughes have to do with him?

Again, happy for pundits to critique my gas station of the future thread...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4577260/"Gas"_Statio

Note that was about charging regular vehicles, not 1.2MWh trucks at 2MW transfer rates, as promised by Musk, and not with self powered solar panels.

Please look at the actual physics of doing what this guy is saying his fleet will be doing in 18 months time, and think critically about it...just the "sun pewered trucks" from solar charging stations is bunk that should have you questioning his claims...

But, koolaid is a powerful thing.

Pick a Walmart, go on Google earth, measure it's roof area, and calculate the MWH that you can harvest from it in an average 24 hour period...simple math, and it's just not there.

Supercharge stations for the vehicles...yay, I can drive around anywhere I want...until after some number of supercharge cycles your transfer rate gets limited from 120 to 90 to lower to protect the batteries from the charging rate. The supercharge rate is unsustainable for battery longevity...use it like you want, and your 20 minutes becomes 35 mintes...how does that translate into his truck battery world ?

Its all repeat of the prior discussions - that all couldn't be done.

A 1-1 amount isn't there but a tremendous amount of offset is - who pays?
Same people that pay now either pay for diesel or pay for electricity.

The roadster was Kool aid-
The model S was Kool aid-
The X was Kool aid-
The supercharger network was kool aid - never gonna happen.
A self landing rocket was kool aid -
Model 3 was kool aid.

Ive been listening to people tell me how it can't be done since this guy started and so far the detractors are wrong.

Tesla is worth more than Ford. There is a lot of net worth for something that can't be done.

Battery pack is water cooled and thermally managed, so the effects of supercharging are moderated.

UD

It was said that the above Tesla accomplishments were impossible because there was no way to do it and make money.

Tesla does not make any money doing any of the above.

They were right. Musk was wrong.

Ford makes money building vehicles. Tesla does not.

UD

Leveraged tech - and he does chair / own them both. Zealots and religious fanatics don't deliver.

Hughes - I drew a comparison between two guys with amazing accomplishments - both derided.

Ford wouldn't be around if we didn't loan them 5.9 Billion in 2011. A fact they tried to hide.

GM screwed all its shareholders with a tidy little bankruptcy, Tesla has done no such evil deed.

Redstate? Ill have to look at their biases and interests.

As to spacex's record, they currently have the 6th most reliable launch vehicle in the world. religion and zealotry have no impact on math

http://spacelaunchreport.com/log2017.html#rate

You guys do under stand the concept of the US spending trillions on the straights of hormuz to protect oil right?

How would you prefer to spend your subsidy? Enrichening and protecting the Arab nations?

The money we've spent in Tesla is a drop in an ocean of money we spend on defense of oil.

UD

[/quote]

[/quote]

The rocket company is just another shell in the game. Elon plays it well.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
[/quote]

The rocket company is just another shell in the game. Elon plays it well. [/quote]

Lift up the shell and what do you find?

The 6th best launch record in the world Impossible to fake that.

Add to that Speacex is the only player able to significantly change the launch game with reusables boost stage.

UD

Spacex is no more or less viable than its launch record, and my enthusiasm for them tracks directly with that.

Lifting platforms always come down to launch record if they want third party money, getting insurance on a rig depends wholly on that stat.

Lost of exchanged tech between the 2 companies - does anyone else in the US build an all aluminum car? Welding tech, servo tech, battery tech assembly tech

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

The rocket company is just another shell in the game. Elon plays it well. [/quote]

Lift up the shell and what do you find?

The 6th best launch record in the world Impossible to fake that.

Add to that Speacex is the only player able to significantly change the launch game with reusables boost stage.

UD

[/quote]

Obviously you are a fanatic of Musk. You missed the point in the Shell game though. Musk takes advantage of share price increases in one stock to leverage debt on his other company/s.

Again, what is the PE ratio of TSLA? What there isn’t one? He is playing a tightrope game and one slip and the shareholders will be WAGOT.

Despite your attempt at painting me as such I am not.

I do not pretend SPacex has a better record than they do, nor do I pretend electrics can do everything better than dino rigs.

What is the stock price and total outstanding value of shares regardless of PE?

Why is it valued as such? Predicting the future? Between your assessment and Wall streets Ill go with them.

People have predicted [censored] blow it all along. Hasnt happened and Wall street doesn't price like its likely to happen.

As an American Id rather spend my money here on spacex than to Russia to energomash for RD-180's , or dubai, and Saudi Arabia for oil.

People dissing Telsa rarely point out what the unbelievable price we pay for todays status quo.

I don't predict anyone will change anyones opinion here, buy we can agree to disagree without name calling.

UD

Last edited:

UD

Leveraged tech - and he does chair / own them both. Zealots and religious fanatics don't deliver.

Hughes - I drew a comparison between two guys with amazing accomplishments - both derided.

Ford wouldn't be around if we didn't loan them 5.9 Billion in 2011. A fact they tried to hide.

GM screwed all its shareholders with a tidy little bankruptcy, Tesla has done no such evil deed.

Redstate? Ill have to look at their biases and interests.

As to spacex's record, they currently have the 6th most reliable launch vehicle in the world. religion and zealotry have no impact on math

http://spacelaunchreport.com/log2017.html#rate

You guys do under stand the concept of the US spending trillions on the straights of hormuz to protect oil right?

How would you prefer to spend your subsidy? Enrichening and protecting the Arab nations?

The money we've spent in Tesla is a drop in an ocean of money we spend on defense of oil.

UD

It doesn't matter if he chairs the Holy Grail and the Templar Bank. Tesla is a company that doesn't make any money doing what it does, isn't very good at what it does, and is scheming to do even more difficult tasks.

If I'm not good at drawing, and tell you I'm going to repaint the Sistine Chapel in 18 months, it doesn't matter that I'm the world's greatest Limbo Dancer.

Compromised delivery is the very basis of any good con. Look at any huge corporate scam in the history of this nation, and you'll find the exact same pattern.

Please stop with the GM and Ford bashing. Elon Musk is the world's most notorious welfare recipient. If it weren't for Big-G, he wouldn't have either company.

This tech is so far away from replacing the ICE that it's ridiculous. You can invest those trillions into Tesla, and there's still not going to be an electric car that can put away ICE. Trillions won't even begin to build an electrical grid that's going to handle all of those vehicles charging.

This tech hasn't even begun to put scratch, let alone a dent in the marine, aviation, rail freight, or stationary engine industry. The major rail carriers who had electric sections took them down after finding them ridiculously expensive to maintain. Nobody is even purporting that in the wildest wet dreams will there be widespread battery/electric use in any of these industries.

One way or another, were going to be protecting our oil interest for a long long time.

Spacex is no more or less viable than its launch record, and my enthusiasm for them tracks directly with that.

Lifting platforms always come down to launch record if they want third party money, getting insurance on a rig depends wholly on that stat.

Lost of exchanged tech between the 2 companies - does anyone else in the US build an all aluminum car? Welding tech, servo tech, battery tech assembly tech

UD

Tesla builds all aluminum cars because they don't have a choice. Know how much those cars would weigh if they were steel?

Life is great when you are a company that doesn't have to make money selling your products.

A car company that does, has to stop and think twice before making a whole car out of aluminum.

Bashing and calling the ball are two different things. GM stole my money when it BK'd - hows that bashing?

Please - The oil industry and its military protection are the real welfare kings.

I wellI understand the profit part of the equation, and I don't think things will be truly "great" until profits realize.

The big thing to note is that this car/space company is spending money developing infrastructure alongside products in the form of massive battery creation, a prior weak link in delivery - and cost- as well as a coast to coast charging network to insure viability.

Infrastructure is some of the most heavily subsidized component in any countries economy.
the real welfare kings are the oil, gas and military industry.

IF they only had one or the other burden to bear the profits would realize sooner - but to make it all work and be viable you cannot separate the two until the charging is ubiquitous.

UD

Last edited:
Back