Tesla stock suffers biggest-ever drop

Tesla has fallen to 4th place in Europe, to electric cars sold by real car companies. The competition is not a startup like Lucid I agree with you that much. Look to the real competition.

You could be right, and the EV playing field levels out, making Tesla just another carmaker. The market is not kind to regular car makers. The Tesla longs have to hope Tesla stays far enough ahead to be worth such lofty prices year after year.

So you are going to be the guy who quibbles that “almost everyone” is meaningfully different from the word Everyman whose definition is “the archetypical ordinary individual”. Or maybe you are just unfamiliar with the literary term Everyman.

The actual quote was a bit more broadly scoped than your memory with 2 separate modifiers.

Last edited:
You are the guy giving stock advice.
It's gone up 411 a share since the original post. Comfortably more than doubled.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.11.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.10.30 PM.png

Last edited:
As far as the “everyman” thing, average car transaction prices pushed 40k in 2020. Todays base price on model 3 at 37k is decent. Honda clarity plug in is mid 30s, not a direct competitor of course. VW ID4 40k, a closer competitor.

Was Tesla model 3 ever $30,000? No. Is MSRP range $37,990 - $54,990
“around a $30,000 price point”? No. Was it ever or is it now “really affordable by almost everyone who can buy new cars”? No.

Can Toyota whose mid-trim level hybrid Corolla LE is MSRP$24,920 and unlike Tesla that does not discount, sell at a street price of $21,961? Yes. Can Toyota introduce an all-electric Corolla in base trim not LE for a street price around $25,000 sooner than Tesla can touch that price range? Likely. Can Toyota sell an even lower priced car than a Corolla? Yes. It already does: the Yaris. Is there any reason to believe Toyota cannot also produce a Yaris EV? No.

As far as the “everyman” thing, average car transaction prices pushed 40k in 2020. Todays base price on model 3 at 37k is decent. Honda clarity plug in is mid 30s, not a direct competitor of course. VW ID4 40k, a closer competitor.
The average car is an SUV not a car, which is why it’s $40K. But a Tesla SUV is $80K. I agree with you on this day, in the US market it is hard to find all electric competitors. But that is rapidly changing, and has already changed in Europe.

My 2c - Tesla is in big trouble. Musk has a history of over promising and under delivering. And now that actual carmakers (who know how to make cars) are starting to build EV's, Tesla has its work cut out for it.
Yeah, that's what the short sellers said. They lost $40B in 2020.
By the way, if you listen to the analysts, Tesla under promises and over delivers.

"actual carmakers (who know how to make cars) "
I suggest they know how to make ICE cars. Tesla is a pure play EV company.
Even the mighty Porsche failed on their promises.

By the way, if you listen to the analysts, Tesla under promises and over delivers.

There is much more to the car than building oversized iPad.

12 Sell Rating(s)
14 Hold Rating(s)
6 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)

Marketwatch analysts consensus on TSLA 2/25/2021

Was Tesla model 3 ever $30,000? No. Is MSRP range $37,990 - $54,990
“around a $30,000 price point”? No. Was it ever or is it now “really affordable by almost everyone who can buy new cars”? No.

Can Toyota whose mid-trim level hybrid Corolla LE is MSRP$24,920 and unlike Tesla that does not discount, sell at a street price of $21,961? Yes. Can Toyota introduce an all-electric Corolla in base trim not LE for a street price around $25,000 sooner than Tesla can touch that price range? Likely. Can Toyota sell an even lower priced car than a Corolla? Yes. It already does: the Yaris. Is there any reason to believe Toyota cannot also produce a Yaris EV? No.

Given it was available in 2019 for 35K that version hit the average selling price of a new vehicle pretty squarely on the nose.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.35.03 PM.png

Keep believing in Electric Jesus..they will be swallowed by the bigger boys soon

12 Sell Rating(s)
14 Hold Rating(s)
6 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)

Marketwatch analysts consensus on TSLA 2/25/2021
I mean, if you had bought Tesla shares in March last year? You’d be doing alright, but now? At today’s prices? The price just seems so high.

The price to earnings ratio (PE) is over 1000, I’m no expert but I’ve never seen that before in a stock. That’s basically telling me that the company isn’t making money.

A good PE ratio...which is one indicator that the stock is a good price or good bargain, is 8-12. Tesla is over 1,000! Back in the day we used to think a 35 PE ratio meant that the stock was overpriced and stay away from it until it drops. And Tesla is 1,000 plus? My lord.

And I realize that PE ratios aren’t everything but Jesus, that ratio is ridiculous.

I'll just leave this here..

contrast with this

I recall when Saturn came out, GM sponsored Saturn “love-ins” where Saturn owners could gather in a park-like atmosphere to share their joy about owning a Saturn. Very cult-like, not that different from the Tesla folks.

My 2c - Tesla is in big trouble. Musk has a history of over promising and under delivering. And now that actual carmakers (who know how to make cars) are starting to build EV's, Tesla has its work cut out for it.
Those actual carmakers who have been building ICE vehicles for 100 years are the ones who have their work cut out for them. Building a proper EV is more than taking an existing chassis and body design and adding batteries and an electric motor.
Have you seen any of the YouTube videos of Tesla's production line ? Highly automated using robotics, and each new factory that Musk builds is an improvement on the Fremont factory with the knowledge based upon experience.
Those actual carmakers simply don't have, and likely never will have the capital needed to build cars in a 21st Century manner. They will continue to use old methods with band aid upgrades and assemble them with overpaid UAW workers. They will be forced to buy outdated battery technology from outside vendors while Tesla will eventually be making their own batteries with the best performance.

I think EV startups have a better chance of competing with Tesla. Provided they can raise the capital, at least they will be staring with a clean slate and emulating some of the technology that Tesla has pioneered.

Back