Tesla stock suffers biggest-ever drop

Those actual carmakers who have been building ICE vehicles for 100 years are the ones who have their work cut out for them. Building a proper EV is more than taking an existing chassis and body design and adding batteries and an electric motor.
Have you seen any of the YouTube videos of Tesla's production line ? Highly automated using robotics, and each new factory that Musk builds is an improvement on the Fremont factory with the knowledge based upon experience.
Those actual carmakers simply don't have, and likely never will have the capital needed to build cars in a 21st Century manner. They will continue to use old methods with band aid upgrades and assemble them with overpaid UAW workers. They will be forced to buy outdated battery technology from outside vendors while Tesla will eventually be making their own batteries with the best performance.

I think EV startups have a better chance of competing with Tesla. Provided they can raise the capital, at least they will be staring with a clean slate and emulating some of the technology that Tesla has pioneered.

If you haven't watched the Audi e-tron assembly video, it's quite good.

One is customer satisfaction.

One is reliability.

The former is driven by a lot more than just reliability.
Yup

JD power is a marketing company few take seriously. Its pay to play.

The average car is an SUV not a car, which is why it’s $40K. But a Tesla SUV is $80K. I agree with you on this day, in the US market it is hard to find all electric competitors. But that is rapidly changing, and has already changed in Europe.

Telsa makes 2 SUVs

Model X costs 90
Model Y costs 49

If we are going to talk about analyst’s take on TSLA well I just posted the consensus from Marketwatch, published yesterday. Got to go the consensus not cherry pick a glowing remark from one analyst more than a year ago. Also have to look at today’s sentiment, which is what I published. Current thinking based on among other things slipping market share in the EU.

As for the quality issue, Tesla has dropped to 16th place in brand reliability for 2021

If we are going to talk about analyst’s take on TSLA well I just posted the consensus from Marketwatch, published yesterday. Got to go the consensus not cherry pick a glowing remark from one analyst more than a year ago. Also have to look at today’s sentiment, which is what I published. Current thinking based on among other things slipping market share in the EU.

As for the quality issue, Tesla has dropped to 16th place in brand reliability for 2021
Tesla is #1 in customer satisfaction. Perhaps the most important statistic.
We will just have to wait and see what happens to Tesla as a company and their stock ownership. But so far, all the naysayers have been flat out wrong. Real wrong. I am holding my TSLA, even though cashing in would allow me to pay lotsa income tax.

You started the thread with their consensus.

Are they 30th out of 33 or 16nth?

Curious... What do they mean by reliability?
Personally, I consider reliability to mean it runs well for most of the time.
I don't believe Teslas break down very often.
When I read these reports that ding Tesla for reliability, they mention body panel alignment and paint issues.
I would call those quality control issues...
If these cars are so bad, why do their owners love them so much?
Our 2018 Lexus RX450h had numerous recalls for little things; the Tesla Model 3 has had zero.

Again, do you know what this statistic means?

Curious... What do they mean by reliability?
Personally, I consider reliability to mean it runs well for most of the time.
I don't believe Teslas break down very often.
When I read these reports that ding Tesla for reliability, they mention body panel alignment and paint issues.
I would call those quality control issues...
If these cars are so bad, why do their owners love them so much?
Our 2018 Lexus RX450h had numerous recalls for little things; the Tesla Model 3 has had zero.

Again, do you know what this statistic means?
Yeah … remember the old gas guzzler lists. Year after year they killed the Hummer H3 by being on that list. It got the same MPG as an F150 and 4Runner back then and sold a tiny fraction of units … but the others were not on the list

PimTac, do you know of any reports showing poor Tesla reliability based on your (and my) definition?
I have not seen any.
Asking for a friend...

I was talking about the definition of reliability. Most of the time could mean anything. 75% of the time? 90% of the time?

To me, reliability means a vehicle that starts and runs every time and doesn’t go into the shop except for normal maintenance. That is, by definition, all of the time.

Was Tesla model 3 ever $30,000? No. Is MSRP range $37,990 - $54,990
“around a $30,000 price point”? No. Was it ever or is it now “really affordable by almost everyone who can buy new cars”? No.

Can Toyota whose mid-trim level hybrid Corolla LE is MSRP$24,920 and unlike Tesla that does not discount, sell at a street price of $21,961? Yes. Can Toyota introduce an all-electric Corolla in base trim not LE for a street price around $25,000 sooner than Tesla can touch that price range? Likely. Can Toyota sell an even lower priced car than a Corolla? Yes. It already does: the Yaris. Is there any reason to believe Toyota cannot also produce a Yaris EV? No.

We already have an EV yaris sized car, chevy bolt, and it doesnt sell well. 20k units with 5 digit discounts from GM. People are just paying more for a tesla or going gas.

Nissan leaf sells poorly. Cheap electrics in the usa so far have not gained traction.

M3 was offered for a time at 35k and tax credits brought it even lower. That counts for 30k range. They improved the car and upped the price slightly.

I was talking about the definition of reliability. Most of the time could mean anything. 75% of the time? 90% of the time?

To me, reliability means a vehicle that starts and runs every time and doesn’t go into the shop except for normal maintenance. That is, by definition, all of the time.
Yes, I understood you point. And basically agree, with the caveat there is no such car.

My questions was, given this is a post about Teslas and reliability rankings are mentioned, do you know of any Tesla reliability reports?
Reliability based on your (or my) definition.

Yes, I understood you point. And basically agree, with the caveat there is no such car.

My questions was, given this is a post about Teslas and reliability rankings are mentioned, do you know of any Tesla reliability reports?
Reliability based on your (or my) definition.
Seems it’s not your model and media buzz is problems with Model Y

Seems it’s not your model and media buzz is problems with Model Y
I think all the models have had fittment and paint issues from time to time.
People have been referring to reliability ranking.
My question is, what are the reliability issues?

I will continue to look.

I think all the models have had fittment and paint issues from time to time.
People have been referring to reliability ranking.
My question is, what are the reliability issues?

I will continue to look.
Fit and paint yes, also was leaks into the interior and sunroof coming off …
There are a few articles about the Y … I don’t think there is much said with powertrain issues.
”Reliability “ ? Not found on road dead ? Yeah, how is it defined.
For example the popular new Kia SUV had engine overheat problems … definitely a reliability issue to me … but what bucket these agencies put things in is beyond me …

TSLA $682 Down 8%
Tesla's stock price drop apparently is due to the news of an approximately 10 day shutdown of the Model Y assembly line due to the well publicized chip shortage. Which also affects many manufacturers, and not just of cars.

Being an investor in TSLA is not for the faint of heart. It has been, and will likely continue to be very volatile. At $682 it might be a good time to buy 10 shares and pat yourself on the back when it hits $1200 in a few months.

It is a good stock to hold for someone who is in it for the long haul. Not so good for day traders.

As a side note, "reliability" as used in the various surveys has not really been defined. Teslas are not known for having serious issues that prevent them from being driven, are safety concerns, or mean that they spend a lot of time in the shop which is a PITA for an owner.
Yes, there have been complaints about fit and paint. Not unexpected considering the push to get as many out the door as possible to meet consumer demand. I have confidence that those issues will be past history soon.

I think EV startups have a better chance of competing with Tesla. Provided they can raise the capital, at least they will be staring with a clean slate and emulating some of the technology that Tesla has pioneered.
Will be interesting to see what happens with Lucid, especially now with their new investment and the CCIV merger. Granted, a car that starts at $69k isn’t what moves volume...

Back