Tesla SEMI Event

But you might need 12 teslas to haul what 10 freightliners haul... with 12 drivers, and maintenance on 12 trucks.
Huh?! Please explain this statement. How did you arrive at this "conclusion?"

I figure the tesla truck weighs a couple tons more than an ICE.... 1000 kwh battery weighs 5 tons, 3 plaid motors + reductions weigh a lot too, each reduction must be capavle of handling 250 kW

So you cant put the same payload on this truck, and thus need more to do the same work.

I figure the tesla truck weighs a couple tons more than an ICE.... 1000 kwh battery weighs 5 tons, 3 plaid motors + reductions weigh a lot too, each reduction must be capavle of handling 250 kW

So you cant put the same payload on this truck, and thus need more to do the same work.
See post #50.

How did they estimate that? Not disclosing says it all, imo....

I estimate it's nearer 10k heavier.

In every EV, the extra weight is the same or higher than the battery weight. the rest of the equipment equals the ICE engine + transmission weight.

How did they estimate that? Not disclosing says it all, imo....

I estimate it's nearer 10k heavier.

In every EV, the extra weight is the same or higher than the battery weight. the rest of the equipment equals the ICE engine + transmission weight.
Here is what I think:

The Semi's battery is sized by weight. With the 2000 pound "allowance" for EV semi's, the total weight is very close to a Diesel rig. When and if Tesla installs a 10KWh battery, the weight will increase, limiting load weight.

I think the current battery is good for 300 real world miles at typical interstate speeds.

Diesel will still be king.

Last edited:
here's what I think, 500 miles at 2.0 kwh per mile means 1000 Kwh battery.

and batteries weigh about a ton per 200 kwh

I drive busses, mostly hybrid but some are full electric. They need about 1 kwh per mile with an economical driver, they also weigh about half of a truck.

Yes there's one in use for local distribution of beer in the town I work. Range isn't an issue there though, the brewery is in the same town (stella)

This is interesting:

BATTERY CAPACITY

624 kWh (Installed), 468 kWh (usable) with 75% SOC – Up to 350 km range at 40 t GTW and 250 km range at 64 t GTW

CHARGING

CCS2 375 kW / 500 A DC

Fully charged in less than 90 min at 375 kW

GTW

Max 64 t

should give you an idea of battery capacity needed to get 800 km range as the tesla truck does....

and from another site about the scania truck:
At the time, Scania told electrive that the vehicle itself weighs 10.8 tonnes – around 1.5 tonnes more than its diesel counterpart. Among other things, this is due to the nine battery packs installed, which have a total energy content of around 300 kWh.

but that's for just over 1/3rd the range and half the power. More power means more bulky mechanicals and more range means more battery.

I still stand by my 5 tonnes heavier than ICE with the range and power as stated

Last edited:
This is awesome, I feel a game changer by Tesla in shipping much more than an EV automobile and one where Tesla for the moment and most likely a very long time will have a firm grip on the market. This is going to be big IF they can get the vehicles produced fast enough. Good for them.

I too! Noticed the Comment on Nuclear power. Good god I wish the "people" would wake up. Maybe Musks team could educate the country?
It will happen, just a matter of when. Start now for a smooth transition to EVs or like we seem to do, wait until its too late and then catch up?
Tesla has had a "firm" grip on the automotive market. I'd be shocked, and disappointed if companies put up with the bs, terrible fit and finish, and the degrading of their customer service. Let's face it there are only two "megachargers" on the planet. This severely limits charging as the Tesla Semi is an energy hog. Additionally Other companies have already delivered electric and hybrid electric semis way before Tesla. Third if their semi is so great why the tiny load of chips in the trailer?

Tesla has had a "firm" grip on the automotive market. I'd be shocked, and disappointed if companies put up with the bs, terrible fit and finish, and the degrading of their customer service. Let's face it there are only two "megachargers" on the planet. This severely limits charging as the Tesla Semi is an energy hog. Additionally Other companies have already delivered electric and hybrid electric semis way before Tesla. Third if their semi is so great why the tiny load of chips in the trailer?
Im not by any means promoting anything better over the other. I just look at things from an investment point of view long term.
True there have been other semi's I think since around 2017 with Cummins being one of them. Sadly they have been off to a slow start and I can only assume the others as well. I only did a quick search on the subject. Im not interested enough to care other than to give Tesla credit for their semi. They have REAL verifiable orders from some mega corporations. That says something.

The chargers, its irrelevant for those companies, the semi's will be used for a specific more local use replacing currently used diesel. They are not going to be going cross country.
They will be returning "home" after a days use and recharged at the company distribution center. Ill stand by my statement, if they can build these things I actually think they will be better off doing that then their current lineup of cars.

I do disagree with you 100% on you saying Tesla has a firm "grip" on the market. ( I actually think you will agree with me) I dont see them having any grip at all. They were first on the market and they filled a void for a new electric powered vehicle. For the price they have the reputation of sloppy craftsmanship, its no secret but the buyers of their cars are more affluent and wanted a new gadget to play around with, it was by no means their primary comfortable big bold SUV but a sports car with its build quirks but fast and secure performance.

I personally think unless they change that they are about to get buried (almost like Facebook buried MySpace over a decade ago) in the automobile marketplace by the big major companies. You have a dozen big names coming to the market with a vast array of styles and price points with local dealers and service centers to hit the market, Tesla by no means has a "firm grip" in fact they have already lost 15% market share in the last year or two, just wait to 2024.
(just discussing here)

In my extensive interstate travels, nearly all common semi trucks are now at 70mph. A few independents go faster, and I've seen them as high as 85mph in FL and other flat states. The only slow ones are non professional operations or unusual loads.

The Tesla semi is likely a 300 mile truck at 70. Estimates of 1.7 KWh per mile are exceedingly low. Towing a 10K trailer with an E F150 or GM EV results in similar power usage, and that's 1/5th the total weight.

Just a quick comparison. A 10,000 pound battery can do the same work as 46 gal of diesel fuel (roughly 300 pounds)

However, I guarantee, those same 46 gallons, running a very efficient diesel generator, charging the Tesla Semi would not push it 300 miles, regardless of how much or how often the spin masters claim it will.

In my extensive interstate travels, nearly all common semi trucks are now at 70mph. A few independents go faster, and I've seen them as high as 85mph in FL and other flat states. The only slow ones are non professional operations or unusual loads.

The Tesla semi is likely a 300 mile truck at 70. Estimates of 1.7 KWh per mile are exceedingly low. Towing a 10K trailer with an E F150 or GM EV results in similar power usage, and that's 1/5th the total weight.
Regulators are going to take another shot a governing speeds to somewhere between 60 and 70 mph. It would apply to all trucks with an electronic throttle and installed/managed by the carriers.

It's still diesel FTW in my book. I like the deal Pepsi got with the subsidies, no way would they have gone for it w/o the subsidies.
I rolled out all electric Class 5 trucks for a branch of PepsiCo in 2010. They were the Smith EV trucks. 60 KwH battery packs was all that the budget allowed. I had to route them to 25 miles or less. 6 trucks in total.
Total budget was $1,000,000, Canadian government funded 50% of it.
No way that project happened without the gov't funding.
Had to sunset the trucks 18 months later. Couldn't keep them running reliably.

I rolled out all electric Class 5 trucks for a branch of PepsiCo in 2010. They were the Smith EV trucks. 60 KwH battery packs was all that the budget allowed. I had to route them to 25 miles or less. 6 trucks in total.
Total budget was $1,000,000, Canadian government funded 50% of it.
No way that project happened without the gov't funding.
Had to sunset the trucks 18 months later. Couldn't keep them running reliably.
Nice chunk of change, still a losing deal. ;)

Back