Tesla news .

My Niece works for Brown and Root . She just went to a meeting in Houston with a bunch of other contractors , and Tesla people . Seems they want to build a battery factory in Texas somewhere . Location not specified yet . I didn't know they built their own batteries .

My Niece works for Brown and Root . She just went to a meeting in Houston with a bunch of other contractors , and Tesla people . Seems they want to build a battery factory in Texas somewhere . Location not specified yet . I didn't know they built their own batteries .
I think Tesla builds batteries as a partnership with Panasonic, bust just takes all of the credit

Lots of empty land near the Tesla factory North of Austin Airport off 130 and would be logistically a good idea.

Last edited:
Panasonic is building that mega plant in Kansas. They announced plans for a second plant. Oklahoma looks to be the place and this plant would supply the Tesla Austin plant once up and running

Gigafactory 1 is outside of Sparks, Nevada. They make batteries, Model 3 motors and the Semi pilot line.

In mid-2018, battery production at Gigafactory 1 reached an annualized rate of roughly 20 GWh, making it the highest-volume battery plant in the world. Tesla currently produces more batteries in terms of kWh than all other carmakers combined. With the Gigafactory ramping up production, Tesla’s cost of battery cells will significantly decline through economies of scale, innovative manufacturing, reduction of waste, and optimization.

Giga Nevada builds Powerwalls and Megacharges as well. A Semi production plant is being built. Tesla employs more than 7,000 there, and growing.

Of course batteries are critical to EVs. Fremont, Berlin and Austin are all key players.

They've been building batteries and other components at their plant outside of Sparks, NV for years.

Are you sure this is news that can be publicized? Putting info like this if not publicly released or approved by the communications dept can get people fired. Something to think about.
This definitely sounds like need to know information that is likely covered by NDA. And since it's been on the internet for 9 hours, it's likely there forever.

Hope there are no ill-effects for your niece from you posting this.

I drive by it at times. That factory is enormous. I know few people who work there.
Majority of them work 12 hour shifts.

There was a time when many huge manufactures owned their supply chain.
I think some of the larger companies are using the pandemic as a lesson and are either bringing stuff back in house or at least diversifying their sources more.

There was a time when many huge manufactures owned their supply chain.
Just In Time inventory fixes that......NOT! Lean Six Sigma is a joke, and now manufacturers are scratching their heads wondering what went wrong.

Last edited:
This is simply not true. But kudos for mentioning Six Sigma!
From my understanding, JIT is a way to shift the expense of an elastic supply chain onto suppliers whereas the manufacturer on top, with the money and influence just says, "I want it now, I don't care how, make it happen, cheap".

The idea of having just enough inventory without a buffer makes sense in a perfect world, but in reality, this doesn't always work.

The chip shortage and fabs prioritizing other customers over auto manufacturers exposed this weakness. But maybe that's what it takes to break down the system, a massive black swan event? Maybe small failures happen all the time.

What do I know though, I've never worked supply chain logistics and have only made it to Yellow Belt.

Just sounds like an idea dreamed up by MBA's IMHO where real world factors don't exist.

From my understanding, JIT is a way to shift the expense of an elastic supply chain onto suppliers whereas the manufacturer on top, with the money and influence just says, "I want it now, I don't care how, make it happen, cheap".

The idea of having just enough inventory without a buffer makes sense in a perfect world, but in reality, this doesn't always work.

The chip shortage and fabs prioritizing other customers over auto manufacturers exposed this weakness. But maybe that's what it takes to break down the system, a massive black swan event? Maybe small failures happen all the time.

What do I know though, I've never worked supply chain logistics and have only made it to Yellow Belt.

Just sounds like an idea dreamed up by MBA's IMHO where real world factors don't exist.
That's not JIT; that's bad material management.
Deming taught us total quality management, of which JIT is a critical piece. JIT stresses quality; manufacturers can use whatever materials and processes they wish.

Inventory levels planning (MRP) has a "Safety Stock" level, which is used for delivery fluctuations.
JIT speaks to supplier co-ordination and trust. Kiritsu refers to the family of suppliers.

But I 100% agree a manufaturer must manage critical components. The chip shortage is a prime example. Perhaps you know, Tesla is the only car company that codes its firmware, allowing for available chip repurpose. Ford has recognized this and now has a programming team in Palo Alto to develop their own expertise.

This definitely sounds like need to know information that is likely covered by NDA. And since it's been on the internet for 9 hours, it's likely there forever.

Hope there are no ill-effects for your niece from you posting this.
It definitely was not top secret . :D It was more of a meet and greet for the various parties that may end up working together . They didn't even discuss a location or time frame . They had dinner and went to a Houston / Seattle baseball game ..

Back