Tesla motor it has an oil filter.

Job

I dont know if anyone has posted this but thought interesting. It has an oil filter, cooling system, and a 1 : 9 fixed ratio using very beefy gears. If I listened correctly. Torque on ev’s is really only important at the wheels after gear reduction, the motor torque isn’t that important, the way I understand it.

Torque on ev’s is really only important at the wheels after gear reduction, the motor torque isn’t that important, the way I understand it.

Not exactly, this configuration is very common on various gearmotor designs where the motor is integrated in a final drive.

The "torque" in the motor comes from the field and lines of force (magnetic) not mechanical stress like the rest of it.

Its of equal importance all the way through.

They did not explain it very well.

Kind of surprised they are filtering the gearbox oil.

My E-Golf does not have any dictated oil change interval for the "gearbox", seems its an assumed lifetime fill. Its just 1 gear and electric motors don't really get hot during normal operation so not much heat to contribute to oxidizing of the oil. I'm thinking the "cooler" is meant more to give some help to the gearbox oil to get it up to temp and outside of some outrageous operating conditions I doubt it does much cooling of the oil.

It’s like the spin-on filter on a older Subaru 4EAT, or an Allison 1000/2000 or older Saturn. Wise move on Tesla’s part - Toyota doesn’t have filters for their hybrids - one of the bearings in a Prius is a known weak spot in them.

Why don’t more automatics have spin-on filters?

Not exactly, this configuration is very common on various gearmotor designs where the motor is integrated in a final drive.

The "torque" in the motor comes from the field and lines of force (magnetic) not mechanical stress like the rest of it.

I made a few polishing machines using gear motors and remember going through the catalogs specifying, no internet days. A 1/2 hp motor was driving 12 inch pitch polishing plates which takes enormous torque. 1/8 for smaller machines. The Tesla is geared down 9 to1 through the whole speed range for the one in the video.
Weber auto has a video where he talked about the ev Spark compared to the newer Bolt. I thought wow over 400 ft lbs of motor torque means the Spark must be a drag racers machine. Not true the Bolt with a smaller less torque motor is faster. It can be looked up under Bolt trans tear down for his much better explanation. The Prius also has been powering down the electric motor while increasing its rpm. The latest is spinning at up to 17 k rpm if I remember right. He has good detailed and personality free tear downs, very professional.

It’s like the spin-on filter on a older Subaru 4EAT, or an Allison 1000/2000 or older Saturn. Wise move on Tesla’s part - Toyota doesn’t have filters for their hybrids - one of the bearings in a Prius is a known weak spot in them.

Why don’t more automatics have spin-on filters?
I have a magnetic drain plug in my Prius transmission, hoping to capture any destructive particles that way. I didn't find any in the (original, I assume) oil I drained.
Didn't early Saturns have spin-on transmission filters?

I have a magnetic drain plug in my Prius transmission, hoping to capture any destructive particles that way. I didn't find any in the (original, I assume) oil I drained.
Didn't early Saturns have spin-on transmission filters?

Yes, the S-series had a spin-on transmission filter.

Kind of surprised they are filtering the gearbox oil.

My E-Golf does not have any dictated oil change interval for the "gearbox", seems its an assumed lifetime fill. Its just 1 gear and electric motors don't really get hot during normal operation so not much heat to contribute to oxidizing of the oil. I'm thinking the "cooler" is meant more to give some help to the gearbox oil to get it up to temp and outside of some outrageous operating conditions I doubt it does much cooling of the oil.
The change interval is 70,000 miles on the Kona EV and it's also a simple splash-lubricated 2-stage gear reducer. Oil is a conventional 70W GL-4.
I think it's reasonable for a reducer designed for a more high-performance application have pumped circulation with filtering and cooling as simple convective heat dissipation from the surface may be exceeded, especially with the high RPM pinion.

Trouble free Tesla's..... I'm looking forward to the great EV vehicle future where old cars in junkyards with blown engines with be replaced with old EV's with dead batteries.

In the video from the linked thread, I discovered that they make an aftermarket oil cooler that replaces the oil filter.

Back