Tesla ModelY head lights AMAZES me

We just bought a new Tesla Model Y and although the vehicle is great it takes time to get a hang of the braking system. There is definitely a learning curve and have driven it only once (my wife's car) but I must say they got the headlight misery solved. Perfect view of the curbs and with auto pilot one is in the middle of the lane and amazing LED lights. I walked away very confident behind the wheel when driving in the dark and its absolutely shameful no other car that I own gives me that supreme confidence after sunset.

I only hope other car manufactures can get their act together with their headlights (my MB is scary to drive in the dark and have gone over 2 curbs already at slow speeds).

It is super easy to get used to 1 pedal driving. Once you do, other cars become real old skool.
I would be curious as to how you bought your car. Doesn't TX require dealership purchases? Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your new Tesla. Amazing cars; they are the future, here today.

My 2018 MB E300 has the active headlight package, so no issues at all with them, and amazingly effective lighting. Your issue with the GLE is more likely down to styling and not having the motorized headlight package.
In fact, just noticed the other day, they seem to work in conjunction with the lane keep assist feature or possibly the active cruise. The closer you are to an object, such as a car in front of you, the beam narrows down to a small slit so they don't blind the driver in front.
I'd say that's pretty advanced.

Hmm..

I think the VW has excellent lights, it uses the fogs as cornering lights...

The Escape isn't bad either.

The Ranger is dismal...

Jeff, I think i recall TX having "dealers" that equate to staffed Kiosk, i visited one in a mall one time...

We don’t have dealerships here in TX - it was delivered to a pick up location and everything was enabled on the phone. We got title and registration paperwork in two weeks and now to get it registered. The car feels like a Apple product done right.

Well if you pay for luxury in a MB the very least you expect is resolve the misery of lights. The reason we have a Tesla is because the big boys were drooling in their glory days of building cars intent to be unsafe.

We don’t have dealerships here in TX - it was delivered to a pick up location and everything was enabled on the phone. We got title and registration paperwork in two weeks and now to get it registered. The car feels like a Apple product done right.
I guessed it was something like that. I spent some time in Arlington almost 2 years ago and saw a few Teslas; nothing like what I am used to.
I figured you could order on Tesla.com, but did you get to test drive a car? What state did the car come from?
Many states do not allow the Tesla direct sales model and I was curious how people bought them.
I fully expect this to change, as other manufacturers will move towards direct sales. The dealership model adds too much overhead.

I find it odd that Elon moved the HQ and built Giga Austin in a state that does not allow it's sales model.

In CA we have Tesla stores. You can view and test drive the cars but they carry no inventory. You can order the car there, but it is no different than doing so at home. I need to stay outta our local store.

We test drove a X back in 2016 and it was over 100K and my jaw dropped. Told my wife I am scared off all the sensors and not ready for the EV and repairability was a nightmare (since I wouldn't sign off on an EV she started hoarding Tesla shares on her brokerage account and can call herself the lucky millionaire). Right around Covid he closed all sales stores in TX and there was no way to test drive them - thankfully we have many friends who have Teslas and we got to drive it before ordering it. I see 4/10 Tesla every time I am on the road here in Austin - its penetration has been astounding even in this poor deeply skeptical red state.

BTW he moved here because some biitch in Alameda county tried to arm twist him during Covid reopening of his Fremont plant. He has no loyalty whatsoever - we gave him massive tax breaks and cheap power so he came here. CA is a state that needs to learn to respect big dogs like him

We test drove a X back in 2016 and it was over 100K and my jaw dropped. Told my wife I am scared off all the sensors and not ready for the EV and repairability was a nightmare (since I wouldn't sign off on an EV she started hoarding Tesla shares on her brokerage account and can call herself the lucky millionaire). Right around Covid he closed all sales stores in TX and there was no way to test drive them - thankfully we have many friends who have Teslas and we got to drive it before ordering it. I see 4/10 Tesla every time I am on the road here in Austin - its penetration has been astounding even in this poor deeply skeptical red state.

BTW he moved here because some biitch in Alameda county tried to arm twist him during Covid reopening of his Fremont plant. He has no loyalty whatsoever - we gave him massive tax breaks and cheap power so he came here. CA is a state that needs to learn to respect big dogs like him
Your wife is a savvy investor. I shoulda bought TSLA instead of the car in Dec 2018. But what I have has been a gold mine so no complaints.
By the way, that's not what happened in Fremont. Fremont is the #1 plant in America by volume of any car maker. And it will go through significant upgrades soon for even more capacity. Palo Alto is where all the techies are. Musk went to TX because he needed cheap land for a huge mfg plant. That ain't Silicon Valley. He moved the HQ there for tax purposes.
Without Silicon Valley there would be no Tesla. Or Apple, HP or many more companies that have changed the world. Don't worry about CA, we are the number 4 economy in the world this year.

Your wife is a savvy investor. I shoulda bought TSLA instead of the car in Dec 2018. But what I have has been a gold mine so no complaints.
By the way, that's not what happened in Fremont. Fremont is the #1 plant in America by volume of any car maker. And it will go through significant upgrades soon for even more capacity. Palo Alto is where all the techies are. Musk went to TX because he needed cheap land for a huge mfg plant. That ain't Silicon Valley. He moved the HQ there for tax purposes.
Without Silicon Valley there would be no Tesla. Or Apple, HP or many more companies that have changed the world. Don't worry about CA, we are the number 4 economy in the world this year.
One has to take into account population of the states when talking of economy. GDP per capita, with a population 25% larger than the next US state the economy would be larger. At 40 million it's larger than many countries as well.

Here is a fun map!

Last edited:
One has to take into account population of the states when talking of economy. GDP per capita, with a population 25% larger than the next US state the economy would be larger. At 40 million it's larger than many countries as well.

Here is a fun map!
Fair enough. Please state some populations and economic strength of those other states in support of your post.
FYI the population of Germany is 83M or thereabouts.

CA's GDP has only grown due to inflation, not actual production.... (sarcasm)

Unfortunately, those charts don't tell the entire story. NYC's GDP is rated extremely high, yet actual NYC and surrounding area has exceptionally low manufacturing. Only 0.7% of all jobs are in manufacturing there. Something ain't right.....

We just bought a new Tesla Model Y and although the vehicle is great it takes time to get a hang of the braking system. There is definitely a learning curve and have driven it only once (my wife's car) but I must say they got the headlight misery solved. Perfect view of the curbs and with auto pilot one is in the middle of the lane and amazing LED lights. I walked away very confident behind the wheel when driving in the dark and its absolutely shameful no other car that I own gives me that supreme confidence after sunset.

I only hope other car manufactures can get their act together with their headlights (my MB is scary to drive in the dark and have gone over 2 curbs already at slow speeds).

A lot of the problem lies with government regulations on headlights. Other parts of the world allow adaptive headlights that can adjust specific LEDs so that you end up with maximum illumination without blinding other drivers. The US has been slow on this but hopefully it’s changing.

Fair enough. Please state some populations and economic strength of those other states in support of your post.
FYI the population of Germany is 83M or thereabouts.
That is why I gave you the link. The data is all there "per capita" It seems like everyone is missing that fact.
New York State is #1 , Massachusetts, Washington are all ahead of California #4, Texas closing in fast. CT is almost tied with CA in a given year.

Doesnt matter to me, I live in the United States of America and proud of it, not California and for some reason your posts imply California is not part of my country, well guess what? It is and would not survive without the rest of the country.

Here is the link again, for anyone who wants to do their homework, it's hard data, not my information or opinion.

Let me help some in here, GPD per Capita in New York is $102,587 the highest in the country.
GDP per capita in California is $90,696 and puts it around #4

Last edited:
That is why I gave you the link. The data is all there "per capita"
New York State, Massachusetts, Washington are all ahead of California, Texas closing in fast. CT is almost tied with CA in a given year.

Doesnt matter to me, I live in the United States of America and proud of it, not California and for some reason your posts imply California is not part of my country, well guess what? It is and would not survive without the rest of the country.

Here is the link again, for anyone who wants to do their homework, it's hard data, not my information or opinion.
I salute your US vs a given state and 100% agree. I post CA statistics in response to the "Commiefornia" rhetoric. Perhaps you might join me in calling out this divisive talk?
Apologies if it comes off otherwise.

Let me help some in here, GPD per Capita in New York is $102,587 the highest in the country.
GDP per capita in California is $90,696 and puts it around #4
And yet, NY produces precious little in the way of manufactured durable goods. NY's key "production" are financial products, which have no intrinsic value and are subject to the wild fluctuations of the market and even complete evaporation of value. Just an observation of One, but I am in NY right now and I promise, nobody is producing anything. In fact, I'm the only soul around. As always. Edit: a cleaning lady just came in at my request, she speaks no English. I will see nobody else all week.

The top 10 manufacturing companies in NY employ in total, about 40K people. By way of comparison, Boeing employs about 140,000, GM about 150,000 and my favorite company, Gulfstream Aerospace, about 15,000. NY is a manufacturing joke.

Last edited:
It is super easy to get used to 1 pedal driving. Once you do, other cars become real old skool.
I would be curious as to how you bought your car. Doesn't TX require dealership purchases? Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your new Tesla. Amazing cars; they are the future, here today.

I havent written my review but wow, that was the most annoying thing about the model 3. I had no idea if it was braking, no way to signal people behind, even with the regen limited, every setting I could set minimized. It just regenerated too aggressively to feel safe in stopping situations with repeated stop and go.

But the rest of the tech was fun and I liked the car. The lights were good!

Back