Tesla Model S on Autobahn at 125 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla Model S is clearly capable of 100+ MPH for some distance, at this speed it drains the battery much faster, similar to gasoline engine consumes much more gas.

Model S has only 1 speed transmission, if if has 6-7 speed transmission then maybe it would be driven at higher top speed and also consume less electricity.

On the side note, driven at triple digit speed on Autobahn is very safe, slower traffic keeps right and medium speeders go back to right lane soon after passing slower vehicles, faster traffic doesn't have to flash high-beam to left lane bandits because there is none.
Also, driving at higher speed requires driver full attention to the road condition and traffic, no texting and no other activities only concentrate on driving. That why there are less accidents on Autobahn per million vehicle miles than on Interstate Highway in USA.

125 is not fast for the autobahn. I drove a cheap little economy car that fast on it when I was there. The mercs come up on you at that speed like you're standing still.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Tesla Model S is clearly capable of 100+ MPH for some distance, at this speed it drains the battery much faster, similar to gasoline engine consumes much more gas.

Model S has only 1 speed transmission, if if has 6-7 speed transmission then maybe it would be driven at higher top speed and also consume less electricity.

On the side note, driven at triple digit speed on Autobahn is very safe, slower traffic keeps right and medium speeders go back to right lane soon after passing slower vehicles, faster traffic doesn't have to flash high-beam to left lane bandits because there is none.
Also, driving at higher speed requires driver full attention to the road condition and traffic, no texting and no other activities only concentrate on driving. That why there are less accidents on Autobahn per million vehicle miles than on Interstate Highway in USA.

What was the point of this thread?

Originally Posted By: glock19

I asked myself the same question.

German drivers aren't gigantic idiots, and the Tesla S can go 130ish on a good day, what here is news?

Maybe he was trying to get to impressive sustained high voltage speed which the batteries can supply for a long time. The author of the thread may have been surprised by this.

A good EV car with good suspension and tire can sustain triple digits speed for some distance, but at maximum speed the driving distance is reduced substantial, not the possible distance of 240-280 miles at much slower speed.

How much range going that fast?
smile.gif

I know that Tesla roadsters used to have a 2-spoeed transmission, but they were recalled and replaced with the single speed due to reliability issues. Too bad they couldn't fix that.

A good EV car with good suspension and tire can sustain triple digits speed for some distance, but at maximum speed the driving distance is reduced substantial, not the possible distance of 240-280 miles at much slower speed.

OK, I understand that. Was there a question, or something to discuss, or were you just posting a fact?

Everywhere I drove on the Autobahn the speed limit was 100-120 km/h and there were speed cameras everywhere. Not fun.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everywhere I drove on the Autobahn the speed limit was 100-120 km/h and there were speed cameras everywhere. Not fun.

Yup, the good times are in past; the mythology still lives on. Akin to absence of speed limit in Montana.

Autobahns are quite restrictive nowadays. Used to enjoy those dashes from Munich to Amsterdam 30 years ago. And it wasn't that fast anyway. Sure the fast lane, where the Porsche, Corvette, powerful Brits and sporty Italians shined was very different. The rest were like anywhere between San Francisco and San Diego.

OK, I understand that. Was there a question, or something to discuss, or were you just posting a fact?

Just a fact that an EV vehicle can do triple digits speed safely. But as of today I think only Tesla Model S is available to purchase can do that. Others such as BMW I8 can do that, but it is not a pure EV.

you havent bought one yet? sorry, you failed keeping up with the jones. where is your apple watch by the way? I always enjoy calling out the car lease threads because its usually some amateur salesman who is self promoting.

Last edited:
Hello, My Autobahn experience falls into the "late" category but I thought "they always" lowered the speed limit near cities.
The cities grew and new settlements are on highways ERGO you get less Autobahnable highways.

I think my run along southern Germany into and across Austria to Hungary had the most high speed runs you're likely to find.

Want open roads without speed limits? GO to Australia. Of course, it's like driving on the Moon. Kira

Originally Posted By: Y_K
... Used to enjoy those dashes from Munich to Amsterdam 30 years ago. And it wasn't that fast anyway. Sure the fast lane, where the Porsche, Corvette, powerful Brits and sporty Italians shined was very different. The rest were like anywhere between San Francisco and San Diego.

True, and drivers would quickly tire of using so much fuel and settle down to a more sedate 130-ish kph. There were also not that many models of powerful vehicles on the German roads and they were expensive.

You can be assured that they know what they're doing.

This statement shows a clear lack of understanding how an electric motor works. The more torque required to drive a higher gear, the more current it will draw. Better to spin it fast at low current and let rotational momentum do its thing.

Not a chance...this is demonstrative of converting the energy in the batteries into heat...a specific power requirement exists to push the car in question at 125MPH.

Same power draw would exist regardless of gearing of the electric motor.

Gears and IC engines are moved to put engine performance in appropriate performance bands, and even that has limited utility at 125MPH.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

This statement shows a clear lack of understanding how an electric motor works. The more torque required to drive a higher gear, the more current it will draw. Better to spin it fast at low current and let rotational momentum do its thing.

True.
Couple hours after posting this I knew that I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back