Tesla Model S on Autobahn at 125 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everywhere I drove on the Autobahn the speed limit was 100-120 km/h and there were speed cameras everywhere. Not fun.

I don't know where you drove (probably around big city rings from the sounds of it) but there are still plenty of unrestricted areas.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So how fun was it to drive a Tesla on the autobahn?

I don't know, I never drove on Autobahn nor Model S. How much fun you can get driving a car at 125 MPH on a virtually straight road ? Is it as much fun as 40-50 MPH on twisty mountain road ?

The video shows Model S is very stable at 120-125 MPH.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everywhere I drove on the Autobahn the speed limit was 100-120 km/h and there were speed cameras everywhere. Not fun.

I don't know where you drove (probably around big city rings from the sounds of it) but there are still plenty of unrestricted areas.

Stuttgart to Wolfsburg. I went up to check out the VW museum, which although very cool was a disappointment after the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Model S has only 1 speed transmission, if if has 6-7 speed transmission then maybe it would be driven at higher top speed and also consume less electricity.

This statement shows a clear lack of understanding how an electric motor works. The more torque required to drive a higher gear, the more current it will draw. Better to spin it fast at low current and let rotational momentum do its thing.

Electric motors still have a maximum rpm before they fly apart. Also at high rpms you get other losses due to a variety of effects when things move very rapidly through a magnetic field. You can spin an electric motor up to a very high speed and it will get quite hot even with no load on it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So how fun was it to drive a Tesla on the autobahn?

I don't know, I never drove on Autobahn nor Model S. How much fun you can get driving a car at 125 MPH on a virtually straight road ? Is it as much fun as 40-50 MPH on twisty mountain road ?

The video shows Model S is very stable at 120-125 MPH.

What video?

Impressive, but not really that fast.

Did someone hack them to go past 130?

Old school Autobahn missile, nothing pulls better than a big V12 German coupe, they just GO! I'd actually enjoy road trips, imagine the time you could make at 120-150!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back