Tesla Model 2, a $25,000 Tesla

I would drive that! That would be a huge win for electric cars with more than a single commute's worth of range, but at that price. Made in China might be a tough sell outside of China for a vehicle though.

Knowing Tesla, it won't be selling at that price and will be two+ years later than they say. LOL

Elon already said all this on battery day so its isnt really news.

I'm not so sure about the export from China part- probably but to where is the question, probably not Europe or N.A.

That will result in tariffs applied globally - and evading this is part of the benefit of owning factories all over the world.

Frankly, I'm not sure that they could have any more manufacturing issues building this thing in China versus stateside, so I'm not sure that's going to be a problem. I like the looks of it, for sure. It being a wagon makes it even better, in my book. Now all they need to do is not run everything through a tablet that's designed to go bad in 5-6 years, effectively making the car inoperable until replaced.

I can already see that there will be aluminum wheels and painted bumpers on the options list, bundled with 14 other unwanted upgrades in an 'appearance package' for $4,000. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Frankly, I'm not sure that they could have any more manufacturing issues building this thing in China versus stateside, so I'm not sure that's going to be a problem. I like the looks of it, for sure. It being a wagon makes it even better, in my book. Now all they need to do is not run everything through a tablet that's designed to go bad in 5-6 years, effectively making the car inoperable until replaced.
I agree about the tablet BS. Sure, it makes it so they can improve more aspects of the vehicle with wireless updates, but those big screens look hideous and are very distracting. I would be thrilled if they could provide all the basic controls with physical buttons and knobs.

I can already see that there will be aluminum wheels and painted bumpers on the options list, bundled with 14 other unwanted upgrades in an 'appearance package' for $4,000. LOL

What makes the wireless update work is that the car is controlled by a central compute core vs distributed smaller computers.

The tablet interface allows a vast reduction in wiring and cost. I go back and forth liking some things about it better and other things not so much preferring the S and X dual gauge sets.

On the whole tesla offer far fewer choices than anyone in its selections, but like everyone else there is a range of prices with the base being a stripped deal.

In terms of delivering on low cost options Chevy is worse than Tesla.
We still have not seen a 59K Vette they flout in magazines It's nonexistent with HUUGE dealer markup.

After a year or so Tesla actually delivered the 35K model 3 and it could be bought by people that still wanted it with no dealer network excuses chevy is using. It also had better specs than what was initially promised. 220 vs 200 miles range.

Tesla had issues in early 2018 and almost went belly up. The Model 3 had a bazillion preorders and Tesla could not deliver.
Musk was nearly broke himself. The problem was Fremont factory robototics kept breaking down.
As a Hail Mary effort, Musk erected 2 huge tents and started building cars far more by hand.
Since then, after learning hard lessons, the Tesla factories are state of the art. When Austin comes up late this year or early next, it will be the most advanced and largest automobile factory in the world.

Musk later said, on a 60 Minutes segment, his decision to overuse robotics at Fremont was a big mistake.
Tesla recently got permission from the city of Fremont to expand manufacturing, having something to do with making the tents more permanent.

Regarding the tablet, this is the future. It is far cheaper than a bunch of gauges, enables diagnosis and allows for over-the-air upgrades. It is funny, almost predictable, that people aged 50+ tend to dislike the tablet interface and have trouble getting used to it. But everyone under 35 takes to it like nothing.

Personally, I would like to see the blind spot warnings in the side mirrors like most cars. In the tablet is almost useless, at least so far for me. And a heads up display should be standard in a car this futuristic.

I get it that many people do not think much of Tesla designs. These cars are different and are not for everyone.
All I can say is, Tesla is not trying to electrify current automobiles.
All good.

Regarding the tablet, this is the future. It is far cheaper than a bunch of gauges, enables diagnosis and allows for over-the-air upgrades. It is funny, almost predictable, that people aged 50+ tend to dislike the tablet interface and have trouble getting used to it. But everyone under 35 takes to it like nothing.

Personally, I would like to see the blind spot warnings in the side mirrors like most cars. In the tablet is almost useless, at least so far for me. And a heads up display should be standard in a car this futuristic.
Except for the problem where they admitted to designing the tablets in such a way as to not expect it to last beyond 5-6 years, which is why they are being asked to issue a recall by the NHTSA. I myself am under 35 and appreciate the bold design and technological leap. However, there's a big difference between what, say Ram did with their mega tablet, and what Tesla has done, especially in the Model 3. If your tablet goes out in a Model 3, the car is effectively inoperable. Without completing the major repair, it's essentially become the first disposable car that was bought at premium car prices.

Except for the problem where they admitted to designing the tablets in such a way as to not expect it to last beyond 5-6 years, which is why they are being asked to issue a recall by the NHTSA. I myself am under 35 and appreciate the bold design and technological leap. However, there's a big difference between what, say Ram did with their mega tablet, and what Tesla has done, especially in the Model 3. If your tablet goes out in a Model 3, the car is effectively inoperable. Without completing the major repair, it's essentially become the first disposable car that was bought at premium car prices.

Because one component thats easily replaceable was under- spe'd calling the car disposable is a reach.

Especially if its being covered under a recall.

Cars costing this much have a much higher overall cost of ownership.

Last edited:
I certainly don't care for the display aspect--gimme knobs and buttons!

But in the end, what's the cost and effort required to replace a bum display every few years? My last iPad was like $250 and as long as it lasts 3+ years I kinda don't care. An electric car that needs a $500 display every 100kmiles or so... and nothing else... it would be better if they made the display last longer but is that simply expecting the world when an acre would do? Put differently, if a quality display that lasted 20 years cost $1k but 5 year version was $200, isn't accepting a 5 year lifespan likely the low cost option for most buyers?

If your tablet goes out in a Model 3, the car is effectively inoperable. Without completing the major repair, it's essentially become the first disposable car that was bought at premium car prices.
So you plug in a new one and go. I am not sure that is a major repair.
My understanding is, the complaint is for the Model S and X; the finite storage capacity of a memory chip.
And Teslas capture a ton of information, far more than any other car.

The Media Control Unit will fail if the memory fails. The driver loses access to climate controls and the backup camera. According to the NHTSA, the MCU’s failure affects the “rearview camera display, defrost /defog control settings, and exterior turn signal lighting.”
The car is not inoperable.

I agree with you Tesla's early response to this was a huge disappointment. An expensive car should perform and be supported when it doesn't.
I have not followed the story, but I believe S/X cars up to 2018 are affected. Like 140K cars.
I think Tesla agreed to the recall. Replacements start this month.

I certainly don't care for the display aspect--gimme knobs and buttons!

But in the end, what's the cost and effort required to replace a bum display every few years? My last iPad was like $250 and as long as it lasts 3+ years I kinda don't care. An electric car that needs a $500 display every 100kmiles or so... and nothing else... it would be better if they made the display last longer but is that simply expecting the world when an acre would do? Put differently, if a quality display that lasted 20 years cost $1k but 5 year version was $200, isn't accepting a 5 year lifespan likely the low cost option for most buyers?

Much cheaper than replacing a fuel pump that requires dropping the tank.

Does it really work Jeff or is is a great idea?

Ive had 3 vehicles with voice command and all were like talking to a tree.
Yes. The video is from Tesla.
The car will amaze you. Sometimes you break out laughing...
Elon urges owners to suggest new commands.
Something about the actual owners know more about what they need than his board room...

If everything becomes voice commands, I want to make a song that is played over the radio with specific lyrics. Might include such things as...

Double the speed limit in the school zone
Do a U-turn right now
Help the old lady onto the windshield
Do a barrel roll
Turn off headlights
Flash brights at all oncoming cops
Blink left and turn right, pronto
Turn volume up to 11
Go in reverse full speed until no longer able
Tell Hell's Angels gang they look fruity in leather
Turn heat and AC to max
Target practice the squirrels
Auto park using up as many spaces as possible (BMW mode)
Bark at all cats
Move seat to max forward position
Always show battery level at 100%
Repeat this song once finished

Back