“Tesla is expanding Giga Shanghai, adding pouch battery cell production” - Electrek

Tesla just filed to expand the Shanghai factory and add pouch cell production on-site.

• 1.25 million power trains / year to 1.75 million.

• Add a small pouch cell pilot line.

Tesla just filed to expand the Shanghai factory and add pouch cell production on-site.

• 1.25 million power trains / year to 1.75 million.

• Add a small pouch cell pilot line.

Perhaps there has been an improvement in the manufacturing of pouch cells which has addressed the issue with thermal runaway?

Perhaps there has been an improvement in the manufacturing of pouch cells which has addressed the issue with thermal runaway?
Either that, or as everyone else is using CATL in China they have seen examples on what works and what doesn't, and after a while if you follow the same design as everyone else, even if they have problems you have safety in number.

Either that, or as everyone else is using CATL in China they have seen examples on what works and what doesn't, and after a while if you follow the same design as everyone else, even if they have problems you have safety in number.
Allegedly using CATL is the cost of doing business in China.

No doubt placating CATL.
Hopefully most if not all of these stay in China.
Agree!

Pouch cells have their place, you can get heat out, easier to seal, sometimes easier to direct the vent out. But cans are tougher, no tabs to lose seal, etc.

Tesla has what ? 129,000 employees ? This ain’t Musk working from his garage - he may have the last word on bigger things - but he’s not left in a vacuum by not having plenty of engineering power …

Companies that have big operations in China I think to safely say it’s a powder keg.
Don’t get me wrong you have to move forward and do what you do but China can be in a conflict at any time.
Big companies such as Apple are aware of this, and trying to diversify and offshore operations.

No, he's just coming to his senses that pouch cells work fine and allow for better thermal management and packaging.
Again, pouches have their place. And their known weaknesses.

Fine is frankly TBD, because even a decade isn’t very long. I drove my 40 year old car yesterday….

I believe this is for LiFePO4 pouch cells. Tesla is already using lithium iron LiFePO4 prismatic batteries in some vehicles. Prismatic's simply being pouch cells in a box. They are quite trouble free, lower energy density, and as long as very cold charging situations are avoided, they last nearly forever.

These inexpensive, long lived and safe LiFePO4 100 Wh/Kg cells cannot really compete with modern cylindrical cells, which are now nearing 300 Wh/Kg

Companies that have big operations in China I think to safely say it’s a powder keg.
Don’t get me wrong you have to move forward and do what you do but China can be in a conflict at any time.
Big companies such as Apple are aware of this, and trying to diversify and offshore operations.

Thats why Musk has met with the Chinese foreign minister.

He has political assurances from the highest level.

I believe this is for LiFePO4 pouch cells. Tesla is already using lithium iron LiFePO4 prismatic batteries in some vehicles. Prismatic's simply being pouch cells in a box. They are quite trouble free, lower energy density, and as long as very cold charging situations are avoided, they last nearly forever.

These inexpensive, long lived and safe LiFePO4 100 Wh/Kg cells cannot really compete with modern cylindrical cells, which are now nearing 300 Wh/Kg
I can't say for sure what cold charging has been like for public charging as when the weather is bad we don't tend to do much travel, but I'm amazed how quick Supercharging still is with the LFP and the nature of my job would have me charging to 100% constantly at home which the LFP seems to deal with better.

Back