Tesla installing world's largest casting machine

How easy it to to replace that massive part in an accident or Tesla's a a throw away car in an accident involving that rear end? Pro's and con's to each design.

Additionally why are so many more companies generally profitable whice Tesla is not?

Aluminum repair is more difficult than steel always has been. A crash big enough to bend or break the frame casting did its job protecting you. Giant single pieces like this are very cool feature that makes the car and the companies bottom line better.

Are they more profitable?
Only a very few are... maybe with bankruptcies, mergers and bailouts under their belts others have become so, not exactly role models of financial discipline.

A better question is: How many other car companies can make money on a BEV?
Then boil it down further and ask how many can make money on a 35K midsized BEV with any kind of range or features?

After all they have to split their efforts between standard cars and battery vehicles, they lack the basic battery pack production infrastructure, as well as the unified command/control design that takes multitudes of subcomponents out of the equation. They have to job out too many of the parts because they lack the core at this stage. The are still basically "electrifying" regular cars vs building bev's from the ground up.

Then you get to actual user infrastructure like charging and when you add up all the pieces they are all a decade behind.

The other guys rob peter to pay paul and take profit from their ice lineup to subsidize their BEV's.
Not exactly a model thats sustainable as you sell more and more BEV's.

you should include the entire quote.

High tensile steel so you don’t have to go back.

Ahh yea sorry about that..When I read that I wasnt sure if that was a general statement or not.
Stamped steel is common.

My kid has a mazda 3 so I should know how they are built but dont.

None would be the answer to my question.

Ahh yea sorry about that..When I read that I wasnt sure if that was a general statement or not.
Stamped steel is common.

My kid has a mazda 3 so I should know how they are built but dont.

None would be the answer to my question.

I admit the aluminum casting idea for the subframe is unique but I wonder what the real weight savings are compared to steel? Then the questions of repairs and such come up.

Why would casting be better than say stamping? Obviously I don’t have much expertise in this area.

solid question.

The way I read it is that the benefits are multifold and no one benefit alone makes it worth the gigantic expense.

I dont think aluminum can be "stamped" but rather has to be formed and cast making the machine more complex.

When you add up the weight, and labor savings in assembling the pieces to make the larger part,
that also translates to less labor time to assemble the car. The 3 way win that makes it worth the spend.

The savings can bolster profit, or lower price while maintaining profit.

This guy is incarnation of God. Batteries powering jets - the world would change and forever aviation fuel and the lifeblood of the mullahs would ibe gone another 20-30 yrs gone. I see oil going out my lifetime and vast majority of ME going back to riding camels!!

This guy is incarnation of God. Batteries powering jets - the world would change and forever aviation fuel and the lifeblood of the mullahs would ibe gone another 20-30 yrs gone. I see oil going out my lifetime and vast majority of ME going back to riding camels!!
Nanometrics... Ah, the Quantum. Welcome to Silicon Valley.

3 nm process and beyond?

Whats hilarious that the mullas, or I should say "King" actually had an offer for the whole thing at about 415 to go private and blew it.

Bet they wish they could be like cher and turn back time. Now they cant afford it anymore.

Between us making enough oil of our own and growing electrification "made" here from a variety of sources these guys are no longer able to hold us hostage.

UD

Between us making enough oil of our own and growing electrification "made" here from a variety of sources these guys are no longer able to hold us hostage.

UD

All this EV evolution dates back 15+ years back in 2005-2008 leading into the recession oil prices were in the 80-120 barrel. Shiiit that comes from the earth price gouged and a cartel thinking the west would suck up and pay the mafia. All the innovation in electric and fracking (although I don't like fracking) really happened around this time and then the recession and fracking took off across all of the south, there was no looking back. I remember paying $5.25/g in SFO and cursing the cartel when we lived there in the east bay for a long time.

The energy density of batteries is still a very, VERY long ways off from fuelled sources and of course there's no way of replicating the thrust created by a jet engine (hence the name jet) with a battery-driven prop, so speed isn't there either. Hydrogen is a more likely candidate, or synfuels that are carbon-neutral.

Tesla insurance rates are going up from talking with insurance adjusters. It sounds like any small problem they are "totalled " then sent straight to auction. The problem is Tesla make it nearly impossible to repair or get parts. My complaint is that a few years back a guy started repairing auction Teslas. They are making it impossible or almost to repair. Again aftermarket parts for Tesla's are almost nill. Add to the staggering parts cost $1,000 for a door handle $3000 for a windshield it's no wonder they're becoming throw away.Repairing totaled telsas

I would be more impressed if he could make carbon fiber body fabs at the cheaper than steel claim from 20 years ago.

50% + weight reduction and cheaper than steel is possible if we increase design cycle lengths and increase automation

no one so far has fully taken the plunge

I would be more impressed if he could make carbon fiber body fabs at the cheaper than steel claim from 20 years ago.

50% + weight reduction and cheaper than steel is possible if we increase design cycle lengths and increase automation

no one so far has fully taken the plunge

Or take to the air. Toyota just showed off their flying car venture.

Whats hilarious that the mullas, or I should say "King" actually had an offer for the whole thing at about 415 to go private and blew it.

Bet they wish they could be like cher and turn back time. Now they cant afford it anymore.

UD

You just got that song stuck in my head. Thanks lol.

Tesla insurance rates are going up from talking with insurance adjusters. It sounds like any small problem they are "totalled " then sent straight to auction. The problem is Tesla make it nearly impossible to repair or get parts. My complaint is that a few years back a guy started repairing auction Teslas. They are making it impossible or almost to repair. Again aftermarket parts for Tesla's are almost nill. Add to the staggering parts cost $1,000 for a door handle $3000 for a windshield it's no wonder they're becoming throw away.Repairing totaled telsas

This is why Tesla will very soon be offering their own insurance to Tesla owners. I'm sure that their financial experts have already looked at the actuarial charts and determined that they can write the policies for Teslas cheaper than GEICO or any of the other giant insurance underwriters. And do one more thing to maintain customer loyalty to the brand.

Back