Tesla installing world's largest casting machine

Why would they be making additional investment if they are closing it and moving to Texas?
Fremont is not closing down.
The factories are: Fremont, old NUMMI plant, one of them most advanced plants in the world, 370 acres, Model S, X, 3, Y. Roadster in the future.
Gigafactory - Sparks Nevada - Batteries
Gigafactory2 - Buffalo NY - Solar panels, Superchargers and other electrical components
Gigafactory3 - Shanghai, China - Model 3, Y for the huge Asian Market
Gigafactory Berlin - Berlin Germany - under construction, open 2021 - Model 3, Y for the European Market
Gigafactory Austin - under construction - 2,000 acres - Cybertruck, Semi, Model 3, Y (3 and Y for Eastern America)

Fremont; 5M square feet. I used to work across the street at Lam Research when it was NUMMI. Capacity is almost 500K cars per year and expanding.

tesla fremont.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
There's a lot left out in the story... what material?... aluminum, cast iron? Is it sand cast, permanent mold, die cast?

I've seen lots of casting facilities. I was expecting something bigger than McLouth or AKSteel. I'm curious.

That's a rather self aggrandizing statement by Munro. He implies that other companies aren't continuously improving their designs when the opposite is true. Companies have to improve their designs and do so to stay competitive. I think Munro is more full of himself than he is entitled to be.

That's a rather self aggrandizing statement by Munro. He implies that other companies aren't continuously improving their designs when the opposite is true. Companies have to improve their designs and do so to stay competitive. I think Munro is more full of himself than he is entitled to be.
I am not sure Munro stated other companies are not continuously improving their designs. I read it as most companies do not put as much emphasis on continuous design improvement. In the original post, I stated a similar opinion. All good.

How easy it to to replace that massive part in an accident or Tesla's a a throw away car in an accident involving that rear end? Pro's and con's to each design.

Additionally why are so many more companies generally profitable whice Tesla is not?

How easy it to to replace that massive part in an accident or Tesla's a a throw away car in an accident involving that rear end? Pro's and con's to each design.

Additionally why are so many more companies generally profitable whice Tesla is not?
As the car may hit the writeoff threshold quicker in a rear end collision due to this massive casting, could Tesla insurance rates rise due to this casting?
Classify as "unintended consequences" .

There must be something to be gained by using cast aluminum versus stamped alloy steel.

As far as lessening the number of pieces in the subframe, the SkyActiv chassis has just four pieces. The pan, two sides and the roof.

Any car that sustains damage to that area is either going to be very costly to repair, or simply written off.

It's also less likely to be affected in most crashes, which is why fuel tanks are often situated in that area.

Taken in a larger context, Munro's remark can be considered true. Traditional OEMs aren't in the habit of making major changes to designs, or processes, once production has commenced. The overall designs remain mostly static, and any major modifications that take place occur during mid-cycle refreshes, or the next generation. Model Y production only started at the beginning of the year, and to change both the design, and process would not be something other OEMs would endeavor.

Software is never really considered done, or perfected, with bug fixes or features continually added in incremental, or minor updates, as opposed to waiting for major revisions. There are good and bad sides to that, especially applied to durable goods and the resulting implications on long-term support, but that's the principle being applied by Tesla, something others don't do.

Munro hasn't been afraid to call out Tesla in the past, and Harbour is a respected name in production consulting, so I think they both have credibility.

Visnic is a veteran industry journalist, and the SAE isn't a rah-rah, blog-style site that often passes for journalism nowadays, so I thought the story was worth linking.

Musk does a lot of stupid stuff, and sometimes tries to over characterize his ideas as uniquely brilliant, but in this case, credit where credit is due.

And if he ever hits upon a solution that results in good quality (not their current sub-par quality that is too often glossed over), along with the improvements in efficiency and cost, that's something the traditional OEMs would surely learn from and adopt as well. That's how things evolve.

Last edited:
Such large die casting designs are typically used only in high volume production. This indicates Tesla is committed to making many copies of these cars.

Once running, production changes are difficult with die cast product. It would then be difficult to "continuously improve their design."

On a positive note, I have seen where castings are used to replace a complex part, often made from numerous welded parts.

As far as lessening the number of pieces in the subframe, the SkyActiv chassis has just four pieces. The pan, two sides and the roof.

How many are aluminum?

Last edited:
Back