Tesla gas can...

yes, the battery doesn't care if the road surface is tilted in any direction. Gas tank levels need to take this into account, so you don't run out of gas uphill, with 20 miles range remaining...

Put vents in the trunk and install generator.
I'm thinking you need about 3killowatts to go down the road?
A 3kw generator would have about a 6-7 hp engine. I expect that to be as fun as driving a Citroen 2CV with 3x the weight.

A Tesla Model S draws about 20 kW at 70 MPH.
Wouldn't it be more than that with charging losses?

I could see it drawing 20KW from the battery, but we are talking about charging it from a generator so you would have to take into account charging losses which IIRC are ~~15%

Wouldn't it be more than that with charging losses?

I could see it drawing 20KW from the battery, but we are talking about charging it from a generator so you would have to take into account charging losses which IIRC are ~~15%
If it is drawing from battery or an umbilical from a generator it does not matter. No need to charge the battery if power is being directly applied to the traction motor.

The question is irrelevant because a Tesla will not move if the charging connector is attached.

My experience is that grid power is 10-25% more than power ultimately available out of the battery. The Tesla draws 200-300W to operate computers while charging whether 120VAC 12A, 240VAC 40A, or 400VDC 300A.

The range advertised, is not even close to what real world range is. Expect to get half of that, especially in winter. So if you need 500 kms of range, best buy something advertising 1000 kms range. T3 long range advertised as 565kms, really goes 280 kms, we stopped using the Tesla for road trips, have since stopped using it at all. My boss doesn't feel safe in it, and neither do I. Soon to be gone, and replaced by something that burns good old gasoline.

A while back I was heading into town and got behind a Tesla S driving very slowly with his flashers on. He turned into a Shell station(!) and parked it, out of charge. I talked to a clerk the next day and he said the car stayed there for several hours and was towed by the owner to a charging station.
Towed by fossil fuel.

with the electric you can heat and cool the car while charging. My neighbor would turn their car on 20 minutes early when it was -17F and it was all melted off. So I did the same thing with a small electric heater cube and an extension cord.
rod

The range advertised, is not even close to what real world range is. Expect to get half of that, especially in winter. So if you need 500 kms of range, best buy something advertising 1000 kms range. T3 long range advertised as 565kms, really goes 280 kms, we stopped using the Tesla for road trips, have since stopped using it at all. My boss doesn't feel safe in it, and neither do I. Soon to be gone, and replaced by something that burns good old gasoline.
My Tesla‘s “fuel gauge” of remaining miles is spot-on and in total agreement with advertised range. I can beat it below 70 MPH. However it is set to USA EPA calibration vs the much more generous (and wrong) European.

During development of the AC Propulsion T-Zero, Alan Cocconi took an old motorcycle engine and made a genset trailer that could still power the car to 80mph. One of the coolest thing about this was that he designed the trailer to automatically steer when backing up.
Acp_tzero_DSC00467.jpg

When we visited Finland our host would be driving in the deep backwoods with the low fuel light glowing. We always found a fueling station eventually. It didn't worry him but it sure worried me. There are also conventional kinds of range anxiety.

Back