Tesla Free Thanksgiving Charging in CA

What Australia is now doing is curtailing rooftop. That is, the grid rejects your output if there's already enough generation on the grid. This has many folks up in arms who expected to be making money but now have a hydro bill again because their daytime dumping of capacity is being curtailed.

This would definitely irk a lot of people that budget their bills each month. Nobody likes surprises.

This would definitely irk a lot of people that budget their bills each month. Nobody likes surprises.
Yep, but it's the evolution of a system where the consumer has been conned into thinking that by moving to distributed embedded generation everything is going to get super cheap.

History demonstrated that it went the other way. We moved away from small embedded local generators to a large grid with huge generating assets, which were more cost effective to operate. How so many have been fooled into thinking that a 180 on this will yield the same result just blows my mind.

Yep, but it's the evolution of a system where the consumer has been conned into thinking that by moving to distributed embedded generation everything is going to get super cheap.

History demonstrated that it went the other way. We moved away from small embedded local generators to a large grid with huge generating assets, which were more cost effective to operate. How so many have been fooled into thinking that a 180 on this will yield the same result just blows my mind.
Not exactly. Centralized system is what gets us Enron's Deathstar and how we got our 2006 to 2008 rolling blackout. I like competition with diversity from many sources.

people believe all kinds of poppycock.

One you've had to make, manage, maintain the gear, and store,feed acquire all your fuel energy yourself, you'll never want to lose that wire coming into your house.

Solar is cool, getting cheaper and definitely has its parts to play, but its losing its edge as an offset tool without storage.

Not exactly. Centralized system is what gets us Enron's Deathstar and how we got our 2006 to 2008 rolling blackout. I like competition with diversity from many sources.
The opposite of that would be Hydro-Quebec or the former Ontario Hydro, both publicly owned/managed. Ontario Hydro had a diverse mix of large generators and, through most of history, was very well managed.

Let’s not pretend like California’s current grid situation occurred in a vacuum. Political whim is not the way to regulate infrastructure.

Anyone from Silicon Valley complaining about CA‘s electrical grid is laughable.

Reactions: hrv

Utilities used to stay ahead of the growth curve to avoid power shortages. Now with tons more regulations on where and how and what kind of power generation can be installed the utilities cannot maintain that posture. Their choice is to promote energy efficiency and conservation which is fine and good but if you have 100,000 or more people moving in every year then that may be a futile endeavor.

Let’s not pretend like California’s current grid situation occurred in a vacuum. Political whim is not the way to regulate infrastructure.

Anyone from Silicon Valley complaining about CA‘s electrical grid is laughable.
I complain loudly about the corrupt PG&E company officers. They burn down our forrests, blow up San Bruno and more. Then charge us for their crimes.

I complain loudly about the corrupt PG&E company officers. They burn down our forrests, blow up San Bruno and more. Then charge us for their crimes.

Hydro-Quebec flooded an area of land the size of the state of Florida for their hydro projects, lol! But no fires ;)

Back