Tesla does it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sound of a V8. I really love the sound of a V12. I like the sound of a V6. And I would drive a V4 before I would drive an electrically augmented car.

Originally Posted By: StrangeBrew
I love the sound of a V8. I really love the sound of a V12. I like the sound of a V6. And I would drive a V4 before I would drive an electrically augmented car.

I've got to say that I absolutely love the Model S. It's really a fun car to drive. I understand the sound of a well tuned engine is intoxicating. However, the instant and frantic "push" of a very powerful electric car is equally intoxicating.

Drove a Mclaren 12c the other day. Awesome car. BUT, the Tesla "D" is going to be faster in real world situations. That's awesome for such a big beast! The Model D has no downshifting, no lag, no delay and major thrust. No matter what you do with combustion powered cars, they can't do that.

They're beautiful cars, but not within the price range of most people, and impractical if you don't have a way (i.e., a garage) to recharge 'em.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Then you have never driven a Tesla.
I have!

I've ridden in one, and thanks to a buddy! I have had some experience behind the wheel. My pal left his with me for 10 days while he was on vacation. I drove it 847 miles (with full permission, ha ha).

It's not for me. I like a V-8, preferably a Ford V-8. Not everyone that has set in the drivers seat is enchanted by the Tesla offering.

Z

Last edited:
If there existed a practical charging network out there I'd already own a Tesla. But too encumbered by limited re-charging if you want to actually go places in it.

Gotta weigh in on the side of "oomph". Driving a Tesla is great! It's different.

An "in tune" gas or diesel engine is great too.
In my humble opinion the sound/feel of an engine/car isn't something which should be stitched onto a flag or rendered as a tattoo.

It's simply a development which (hopefully) brings alternatives to the market.

To the LoneRanger: Charging stations are coming online with regularity. Alas, the less populated regions of the country will be among the last to be outfitted.
Go to Tesla's site and view the map of charging stations. One of the first things they did was provide stations along Interstates so people could go cross-country.

Let's hope:
A) The oil companies don't wield their omnipotence and somehow snuff out electric cars.
B) Enough people realize that many of their trips' length is ideally suited to electrically powered vehicles. Demand for moderately priced cars of this type will make them appear.

I personally have no interest in owning a super car with super wide (expensive) tires.
...loved the retracting door handles and apparent build quality.
...thought the master screen was a bit too large. ...don't relish touch screens; especially in cars.

Cheers Kira

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If there existed a practical charging network out there I'd already own a Tesla. But too encumbered by limited re-charging if you want to actually go places in it.

I wonder how hard it would be for tesla to add a 4-5 kW inverter generator to their car? One of those running for hours would extend range a lot and also be a nice backup incase charging isn't available at all. I suspect if you ran the generator all the time, you could almost drive indefinitely if you take a break every few hours and stopped for 12 hours every night and plugged into 120V.
Like you though, if Tesla made a commuter special for $25-30-35K, I would probably get one.

I'm going to install baseball cards with laundry pegs on each wheel spoke, at a slow creep I'll be enjoying the notes
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
if only they had cars that I can afford to buy!

Tesla is going to take over the exotic car/luxury car market right now.

However, I don't see how they can make their cars affordable for regular people.

Considering that ALL the profit for Tesla is not from selling cars, but from trading carbon credits and tax dollars, I don't see them making cheap cars anytime soon. Unless carbon credits and tax dollars make them so "profitable" that they won’t mind taking an even bigger bath selling cars.

The idea of electric cars is appealing, but the next nearest town to me is 74 miles then the trip home. I guess I can push it if its light enough. The load on the grid is already at its max in many parts of the country so charging cars will only make it worse.
Progress can only come when it is thought out and properly engineered and not the usual knee jerk jump into something then suffer the consequences.
MHO
Smoky

Why does it have to be an either or decision? Buy a Ferrari for the weekends if you want a V12 scream.

Big V12 powered sedans that the Tesla would compete with like the S600 are quite anyway, so what sound?

They are the new Bentley, the new Silent Sports Car!

The only downside of the Tesla is that at 130 its out of steam, which if you had a place to use it would be frustrating since a big Mercedes, Jag, or Bentley is just taking off at 130.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back