Tesla Chip Shortage Fix Was To Pull Steering Components Without Telling Buyers

It's not hate for Musk or Tesla. It's the total chaos and appalling decisions like this that people defend that drive me nuts. Tesla over promises, has fit and finish of an 80's Yugo, and yet somehow the company is worth a ridiculous amount. If Mercedes, or Porsche pulled this stunt they'd be on the 5 O'clock news with the media at their front door demanding answers. If Tesla does it Muskrats try to defend the company. This is extremely shady

Tesla managed the chip shortage via their vertical integration.
They are the only car company that codes their own firmware; this allowed for available chip reuse.

FYI, other car companies have now recognized the value of in-house chip programming expertise.
Ford and Globalfoundries

Just more nonsense

Cars have had non redundant electrical steering for years.

I guess every car with non redundant steering is now suspect right?

How dare Honda take such shortcuts !

Just more nonsense

If you read the article "Tesla had reportedly considered telling you, the buyer, about the change, but decided not to."
Tesla employees said cars would need the dual electronic control unit systems. That means any car that would theoretically be upgraded to level 3 driving would need to have the part retrofitted at a service visit.

The chip were redundant, used for Tesla's driver assist functionality. Tesla believes they did not affect the car's safety and are not needed for the Level 2 driver-assistance features.
They can be retrofitted going forward, but this negates FSD OTA installs.

Tesla has fared better than most automakers in managing supply chain issues by using less scarce chips and quickly re-writing software.

Just more nonsense

Redundancy in steering systems is required for Level 3+ autonomy. If a system (not the driver) is monitoring and negotiating the vehicle's operating environment, it needs a failsoft if a critical operating system processor (steering is one of those) were to go down.

It's not that Tesla removed this additional processor. That's understandable given the current supply environment, even if the Teslarati believe Elon himself craps out the chips and his employees code the firmware before it's even cooled.

It's that they removed it and didn't tell anyone, least of all the customers that were buying the car. That would be a clue that, yeah, Tesla is having troubles with chips too.

Redundancy in steering systems is required for Level 3+ autonomy. If a system (not the driver) is monitoring and negotiating the vehicle's operating environment, it needs a failsoft if a critical operating system processor (steering is one of those) were to go down.

It's not that Tesla removed this additional processor. That's understandable given the current supply environment, even if the Teslarati believe Elon himself craps out the chips and his employees code the firmware before it's even cooled.

It's that they removed it and didn't tell anyone, least of all the customers that were buying the car. That would be a clue that, yeah, Tesla is having troubles with chips too.

The rigs aren't level 3 they are level 2.
Not sure about any promises he may have made.
Make me feel little better - Im out about year on parts in my business.

If you read the article "Tesla had reportedly considered telling you, the buyer, about the change, but decided not to."
Tesla employees said cars would need the dual electronic control unit systems. That means any car that would theoretically be upgraded to level 3 driving would need to have the part retrofitted at a service visit.

I read it.

Im sure lots of changes get made all the time without letting poeple know.

I wonder how many people knew they were redundant to begin with?

With so much money on the S/W they can probably afford to upgrade the HW if the client purchases after the fact.

If it has to go in for an upgrade to get to level 3 (if its ever available) - big whoop.

Last edited:
It's not hate for Musk or Tesla. It's the total chaos and appalling decisions like this that people defend that drive me nuts. Tesla over promises, has fit and finish of an 80's Yugo, and yet somehow the company is worth a ridiculous amount. If Mercedes, or Porsche pulled this stunt they'd be on the 5 O'clock news with the media at their front door demanding answers. If Tesla does it Muskrats try to defend the company. This is extremely shady
Same sorta thing with the Apple ass kissers... never seen any real value/use with any of their products and **** sure wouldn't own one, but you will always have the fanboys/girls lined around the block for that lame experience. People always think they're getting cutting edge when the end result is average at best and simply paying more for the experience than anything groundbreaking.

Back