Tesla Autopilot - needs some work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I Can't believe that people throw Five grand towards something that won't be upgradeable in a few years. The quality isn't there and when recently tested Tesla's "Autopilot" was behind GM's supercruise.

The driver said he was asleep.
I can tell you AP does not accelerate on its own unless you signal for a lane change and it needs to get safely around other cars.
It seems more likely the driver hit the accelerator.

Based on my actual AP experience, this is a bunch of hooey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I can tell you AP does not accelerate on its own unless you signal for a lane change and it needs to get safely around other cars.

I take it "Automatic Emergency Braking" was working as intended?

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

The problem is with the naming, it's not even close to autopilot by any means, it's an extremely loaded term.
1. Autopilot makes sense in the air and at the seas because there are large expanses of nothing over long distances. Autopilots on sea and air will do things like adjust angle of attack and maintain heading.
2. Driving is a much harder problem that an autopilot cannot be applied to at the level of success as a plane or ship, given the literally hundreds of other drivers someone can encounter on a simple drive along with dense clusters of traffic.
3. Unlike ships and boats that traverse large expanses of nothing, driving involves following highly localized paths with very specific rules and very little time to react to mistakes.
4. There are also far more dynamic, less predictable situations than you find on sea or air (such as construction sites, bad weather, bad road conditions like ice and large puddles, potholes, someone dropped a stove off the back of a truck and it's in the middle of the road, DUI checkpoint, et cetera).
5. A plane or ship operates under simpler conditions than cars do, yet even those require one or more people awake, sober and on duty at all times. We have drivers who are literally dozing off, watching movies or completely non-attentive in a situation that is far more complicated.

We're not at the stage where anything can self drive reliably. All current gen aided driving should be labeled or marketed as aided or augmented driving, period. The fact that people think it can literally drive them home is a problem. There are situations that the AP cannot handle and will turn itself off, forcing the driver to assume control. If the driver begins to overestimate its capabilities, they may not be ready to assume control. The only thing it should be used for is to take action to avoid collision faster than a human can, with a competent human driver at the wheel.

Originally Posted by Danno

AEB is overridden when accelerator is pressed.
The driver was asleep at the wheel.

Model 3 AEB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Direct link to the video. I'll never buy a car with autopilot ... I'M the pilot, and always will be.

Yep. + 1000000 %

If only there was technology available to monitor the driver and ensure they're still paying adequate attention to maintain operation within the system's safety envelope... or at least haven't fallen asleep.

Oh wait, there is and it's already being used by other automakers.

But hey, Tesla had a software update that added whoopee cushion noises when passengers sit down.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Same here, unless at some future date the technology is no longer an option and is jammed down my throat.

The way of our culture being what it is, that day is inevitable, at least in some areas. Around here they've been systematically eliminating every place where you could yield and turn left at a green light.

We are still years away from outlawing human drivers on public roads, though. I doubt I will live to see it, but I'm not a young guy, either. It's coming eventually.

Perhaps it will take the form of a public wireless master piloting system rather than completely autonomous vehicles.

Model 3 AEB

He maintained his lane position around a curve, while asleep ?

That's pretty impressive.

Model 3 AEB

An excellent reason to avoid Tesla.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Same here, unless at some future date the technology is no longer an option and is jammed down my throat.

The way of our culture being what it is, that day is inevitable, at least in some areas. Around here they've been systematically eliminating every place where you could yield and turn left at a green light.

We are still years away from outlawing human drivers on public roads, though. I doubt I will live to see it, but I'm not a young guy, either. It's coming eventually.

Perhaps it will take the form of a public wireless master piloting system rather than completely autonomous vehicles.

I hear ya. I doubt I'll be around to see it either.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Model 3 AEB

Driver said he was asleep.Driver Response

Last edited:
A few years ago one of the auto mags asked a Mercedes engineer about the reliability of drive by wire steering and was told that any of this involves calculated risk. A one in 500,000 units failure might be acceptable and calculations with aircraft had already been done. Obviously this will be discussed more in the future.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Driver said he was asleep.Driver Response

OK, so you are stating that clearly he accelerated while asleep...you SURMISE that he did.

While clearly, the vehicle, with an asleep driver managed to maintain lane position on a curve.

I posit that the autopilot was still operational in order to do that...or miraculously his wheel alignment was off quite badly, and coincidentally exactly poorly enough to maintain lane position.

He actually maintained better lane position than the subaru...while sleeping. I'm sure the software logs could be read and we could find out exactly if the AP caused the acceleration or if his foot did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back