Tesla 3 Wheels -- Interesting Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine recently bought a 3. It's a neat car in all aspects. Makes a lot of sense for people whose driving consists of trips to work and the store.

Sounds like a bad combination of tire, wheel, weight, and suspension. Roads decay …
As for the 20" trend … been there, done that, bought two vehicles with 18" next time …

Many base model Corvette owners find the same thing. Namely that very low profile tires and lightweight rims tend to get easily damaged. It gets very expensive, very quickly.

Performance wheels on nonperformance roads are a bad mix.

Currently none of my cars have low profile tires. I hope I'm never forced to buy such a car.

We just bought a 2015 BMW with no spare tire. I bought a full sized spare for it mainly because of the potholes around here.

His fault for ordering the Model 3 with the 19" wheel option. The standard "Aero" wheels are 18" wearing 234/45r18 tires.

Granted, I have previously run 235/40r18 tires on my old car, hit plenty of potholes and never damaged a tire or a wheel. (which the 19" option has 235/40r19 tires).

When I bought my Tiguan, I could have gotten the trims with 255/40r19, but didn't because I didn't want to pay the price for replacement tires, so I stuck with 235/50r18

Originally Posted by KrisZ
At least an average Tesla owner is in a, hopefully better financial position to eat the cost of this kind of damage. Now, people that buy regular econo boxes with low profile tires and big wheels, they will be in for a rude awakening

But they'll look so cool in the process and that's all that matters nowadays.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
At least an average Tesla owner is in a, hopefully better financial position to eat the cost of this kind of damage. Now, people that buy regular econo boxes with low profile tires and big wheels, they will be in for a rude awakening

But they'll look so cool in the process and that's all that matters nowadays.

Gotta look fresh with rubber band tires!

Seems like he could trade in the low profiles for standard version. ought to be plenty of demand for them.

I suspect 99% of them are leased with Tire/Rim hazard insurance as an add-on.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
The sucker should have bought two 18-19" wheels, not another two 20".

Guessing there's a caliper clearance issue doing that.

20's and lo pros are brutal.

UD

Originally Posted by Reddy45
A friend of mine recently bought a 3. It's a neat car in all aspects. Makes a lot of sense for people whose driving consists of trips to work and the store.

Just not financial sense.

Originally Posted by Kestas

What constitutes a performance wheel ? Not tire, wheel ?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
I could have gotten the trims with 255/40r19, but didn't because I didn't want to pay the price for replacement tires, so I stuck with 235/50r18

It may be the case in your example, but a bigger tire doesn't always mean it will cost more. I've found tire prices are much more dependant on commonality.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Kestas

What constitutes a performance wheel ? Not tire, wheel ?

Performance wheels are those intended for low profile tires. They are "performance" because they allow better steering response.

Pretty much what the guy in the video had on his car.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by zorobabel
The sucker should have bought two 18-19" wheels, not another two 20".

Guessing there's a caliper clearance issue doing that.
UD

He says 19" used to be an option. Looking at the video, theres is plenty of clearance with the 20".

My understanding is the Performance Brake Option will fit under the 19" wheel.
I have not verified this and there are differing thoughts.

FYI, I believe you can special order the Performance Option with Performance Wheel Brake delete.
3.2 second 0 to 60 baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back