Terry, any update on the Amsoil EaO oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last OCI, I did spin on an EaO13 that a local shop had for $18.95!!

I decided that it's cost was simply too much, even if I kept it on through four changes I'd be just breaking even.

Honda Flitech Inc. filter from dealer is $ 4.50

WIX assembles the Ea0 filters, no secret there. It's been discussed many times. Some of WIX's manufacturing is in Mexico. If this bugs you, then fine.

The media comes from Donaldson. Again no secret.

$18.95 is too much for an Ea013. The shop is marking them up, way up.

The tooling needed to make all these different oil/air filters is very expensive. It would make no sense for Amsoil to bring this Op in-house when they can spec the filters then want from WIX and they have re-licensed the Donaldson technology.

A normal service station/shop gets $8.95-$9.95 for a common filter. That means about a 400% mark up. Oil, common dyno, is about $2.50-$3.00/quart (this isn't a quicklube) ..so your common LOF would be around $25 in the rough. If the car is fully "serviced" ..this can be an additional $10 plus fluids.

So, sure, they're charging a bit much for the Ea filter...but they're probably making only another $3 for a whole lot more money invested in stock on the shelf.

Quote:

I've frequented the Donalson site for a few years and have found them producing more asian based filters then any other producer I know of. plug your numbers in here.

I usually dont dig up old posts
tombstone.gif
.. But Gary is right... I plugged 1356 and 51356 and got

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=146567

If you click on application, it shows mitsubishi (albeit a tractor instead of outlander for ex)..

If I plug in EaO13, says not found..

Anyways, for all practical purposes, is this Donaldson filter any different than Wix or Amsoil?

Also, what is the procedure for reusing a filter? Just drain and plug it back? or dont bother and leave it on? If former, then do you rinse it with new oil or not?

I usually remove the old filter - let drain - clean the gasket & gasket face on engine-end - oil the gasket - re-install.

Never had any leak issues afterwards.

Quote:

If I plug in EaO13, says not found..

Anyways, for all practical purposes, is this Donaldson filter any different than Wix or Amsoil?

Not all filter manufacturers xref in Amsoil numbers. You can sometimes get other options from Donaldson by putting the thread into their search engine. M20 x 1.5 yields

eCatalog - P550412
LUBE SPIN-ON BYPASS,

eCatalog - P550383
LUBE FILTER SPIN-ON,

eCatalog - P502067
LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW,

eCatalog - P502051
LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW,

eCatalog - P502009
LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW,

eCatalog - P551264
LUBE SPIN ON,

eCatalog - P551257
LUBE SPIN ON,

eCatalog - P550549
FUEL SPIN-ON,

eCatalog - P550162
LUBE SPIN-ON,

eCatalog - P502063
LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW,

..and probably a bunch more. It's a pain filtering out the larger gasket sizes and other applications (fuel, etc.) ..but you might find something non-standard in availability. You then take those numbers and throw them back into Wix and others to see if something new pops up.
dunno.gif

Donaldson makes some of the premier industrial filters going. I imagine that their OTR/automotive line is up there too. They just never had a distribution system to reach the consumer level with any real impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back