Terror in France, Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we know so far:
At least 84 people are dead, including children, and another 18 in a critical condition after a truck ploughed into crowd in Nice on Bastille Day
Australia's Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has confirmed that three Australians were injured in the attack
In a televised national address, French president Francois Hollande said France had been hit by a terrorist attack on its national day, "the 14th of July, the symbol of freedom".
People were killed when the truck careened along the famed Promenade des Anglais, which was packed with revellers about 11pm local time
The truck driver was shot dead at scene, and gunfire can be heard in amateur videos
It comes eight months after gunmen killed 130 people in the Paris attacks

Originally Posted By: Danno
Major security failure by allowing this truck through a checkpoint into a no vehicle venue. Smells like this is way more than a lone wolf attack.

Um, was there a checkpoint? It's so strange, that these days we should prepare against someone who wants to kill us by any means without any reason. Or atleast a reason which would make sense. Multiculturalism isn't working very well.

Major security failure by allowing this truck through a checkpoint into a no vehicle venue. Smells like this is way more than a lone wolf attack.

He drove through the "checkpoint", which is one reason he chose a truck I would think.... Police (on foot) could be seen chasing him. Actually, the roadwas closed for all traffic, but a barrier won't stop such a vehicle, or individual...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch

Um, was there a checkpoint? It's so strange, that these days we should prepare against someone who wants to kill us by any means without any reason. Or atleast a reason which would make sense. Multiculturalism isn't working very well.

Anders Breivik was a Norwegian, so I would say culture has little to do with it.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Anders Breivik was a Norwegian, so I would say culture has little to do with it.

We never know when our hour is up, just be ready and have your personal life in order......

Breiviks actions were his retaliation to those who push multiculturism, IIRC.

When are we going to do something about the easy access to trucks?
frown.gif

You are wrong....Sharia law is incompatible with western civilization....very simple really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
frown.gif

we need universal background checks before you can just walk into a Uhaul dealer and pick out a truck and walk out with the keys....easy access to these powerful military style trucks is the problem.

There is NO NEED for the general public to own or drive a big truck.

Last edited:
frown.gif

Trucks with semi- or full automatic transmission are especially dangerous, because anyone can drive them with little training. Why should we allow this?

frown.gif

Trucks with semi- or full automatic transmission are especially dangerous, because anyone can drive them with little training. Why should we allow this?

Yes, true...we need to limit the number of speeds to less than 10. So you can jump on the driver while he is downshifting.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Yes, facts are stubborn things.

Originally Posted By: pbm

This. Beware those attempts to deny, distort, deflect, and distract from "some quarters".

Originally Posted By: Doog

You are wrong....Sharia law is incompatible with western civilization....very simple really.

Christian Law (as understood for much of the last 2000 years) is incompatible with modern western civilization. Canon Law, Sumptuary Laws, and laws on Heresy and Usury were strict. Christians burned people at the stake for believing in things we think of as commonplace today. Christian Laws made most modern marriages illegal. It was illegal not to believe in Jesus. It was illegal to believe that the sun is at the center of the solar system. For much of Christian history it was illegal to lend money (usury) the way every bank does today. These were typical kinds of Christian Laws for much of Christian history, and they aren't really that different from Sharia Law (which has a different twist on many of these laws--e.g., different versions of Sumptuary Laws).

Basically, both Muslim and Christian Law (as traditionally understood) are both incompatible with modern secular laws in western countries.

And the Muslim laws are very similar to the traditional Christian laws, which is not an accident. Both are Abrahamic religions. Christianity is an outgrowth of Judaism (Jesus was Jewish) and Islam is an outgrowth of Christianity (Muhammad thought that the original Christian Bible was literally true, but thought that poor translations had lost some of the original meanings over the years and that there was no original Bible to verify the correctness of modern Bibles).

Last edited:
This is a terrible event. At first, I watched the videos, I was critical that why didn't they have barrier walls in place. Trucks can't go over barrier walls. I drove trucks. Barrier walls stop trucks. But we have alot of street events in Florida where they just close off streets and have vendors and parties etc...I think that's what this was. I am not sure it was a terrorist event though. No bombs, no guns, no assistance or support. This may have just been a deranged individual. Terrible, wish these type of sad pathetic people would just kill themselves then wreck havoc on innocent people they don't know, don't have any problem with except they aren't them. Tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back