Terrible oil sample analysis!!-Mobil 1 5W30-1,627 Miles-2005 Nissan Titan 5.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouthead said:

quote:

Losing 4x4 and leather, getting a new truck, with a higher trim level etc, and paying 2300 could be a great deal. What is the basic difference between a 4x4 and a 2x4 price wise??? What does Leather add??? What about the SE vs LE and the towing package. If the numbers of a new vs new truck make sense to you then you are paying 2300 to drive your old truck 9000 miles. at 40 cents a mile that is $3600 less fuel costs which at 2.25 a gal and 15 MPG is about $1300. Do the math. If it is equal truck for equal truck it is a great deal. You need to determine if it is equal dollar wise when you look at the lose 4x4, leather vs the gain of trim package, and towing , etc. I've driven a Nissan for 125000 miles with no bad UOA. That being said every company is capable of putting together a bad engine. You got unlucky and got the one. Chances of it happening again are slim.

Thanks for your response...the LE is the BETTER package, top of the line (leather, outside temp compass, etc). The 4x4 is independent of SE or LE...they (SE or LE) are just trim packages. The SE is the next best package, BUT you can make it almost an LE (except for the leather and some odds/ends). My LE does NOT have the Big Tow package, just a hitch...this SE does.

So, back to the point...I lose 2005 LE with leather and 4x4 (and truck with bad motor), and get 2006 SE, 4x2, comparable options (except leather odds/ends) with Big Tow Package for $2300.

quote:

What is the basic difference between a 4x4 and a 2x4 price wise???

$3200!!

VicTitan, did you ask if they'd consider a deal on an equally equipped new truck? I.e., same options, new truck? I believe dealers like to change up the options just to hide the fact they're short changing you.

If it were me, I'd haggle over the price on an equivalently equipped truck, and then make my decision.

Note: If you beat the truck, they'll see it in the ECM.

Quote of the month winner:

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
The engineering in this engine is wonderful but execution is always the kicker isn't it?

Have you looked up the trade value of your truck in KBB? I'm guessing but a (model) year old truck with 9k miles is going to have depreciated significantly. But it sounds like you're taking a big step down in "quality" of the new truck. By looking in KBB you might be able to tell what, if any, consideration you are getting or if they're just offering a normal trade in deal.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Subaru about 7 years ago. Excessive consumption, blue smoke, but no oil tests. They did a swap with me for the exact same vehicle + $1000. I wasn't happy with that at all, but it was my cheapest, easiest option. My vehicle was still the same model year though and had only about 2000 miles.

ekpolk wrote:

quote:

Hmmmm, a minor payout and a brand-new truck vs. suffering through a painful and time-consuming process the best outcome of which is getting his truck back after it has undergone an engine transplant*??? I'd much prefer to be owning and driving a new vehicle as opposed to one that's been torn apart and re-assembled. If he can achieve a mutually acceptable "deal" then I'd say do the deal and get on with life.

And that folks, sums it ALL up...I thought about it, and I am going to eat the $2000, and I am 95% sure I am going to get a new truck (2006 Nissan Titan). I looked at other dealers pricing (Nissan, Ford, etc), made a few calls, and this is the easiest way to get out of this headache. Actually, Nissan gave me the best deal out of all the dealers I called...hard to believe but true. Yes, I COULD have got a low end Ford or Chevy with minimal options, but I do like the Titan's room, power, etc. It is a nice truck...I just got a bad one I assume.

And yes, I could have sold it outright to someone and easily made more money, but that is just plain wrong, and some unsuspecting innocent person now has the problem...sorry, I don't play that game and I was NOT brought up that way
nono.gif

Yes, I gave in. Yes, I could have fought it tooth and nail, but as stated, "suffering through a painful and time-consuming process, the best outcome of which is getting his truck back after it has undergone an engine transplant*???" (that's an assumption too), AND more time, is that I'd rather have a "new vehicle as opposed to one that's been torn apart and re-assembled". In addition, there is a TSB on the brakes for the 2004 early 2005 built Titans (which I have) for new larger front rotors and pads...that still needed to be done
pat.gif

Did I get screwed?...Did I make the right choice? Depends on how you look at it. New truck versus problem child...$2000 versus the time consuming ordeal....we could debate on and on...

The bottom line IMHO, is that

1) problem goes away...Nissan's issue now
2) 2006 truck with full warranty
3) Nissan could of and should of just swapped me out even up...I should not have had to pay anything, and for all this crap, called it a wash. But I DID make the choice.
4) I'm $2000 poorer
frown.gif

Anyway, I'm picking up a 2006 Titan SE tomorrow, and as long as it's OK after a comprehensive inspection and test drive, done deal. I need to get on with my life.

Thank you all for your valuable input...special thanks to Terry Dyson, Bill in Utah, ekpolk and warrior pilot.
worshippy.gif

Amen!

quote:

Anyway, I'm picking up a 2006 Titan SE tomorrow, and as long as it's OK after a comprehensive inspection and test drive, done deal. I need to get on with my life.

And sometimes its better to do what your doing!
cheers.gif

You will be getting a new chance at Nissan and likely an excellent truck.

I can tell you that telling the buyer of your car that the engine has been fixed does terrible things to the resale (as I found out with my last Ford)
crushedcar.gif

Even though it was fixed and had no problems, folks don't want to deal with it.

I think your new truck will do you fine and with it being a 2006, better resale later, Not being a 4x4 means a simpler truck and better MPG.
grin.gif

The $2k is hard to hit but you are getting a truck with 9k less miles. And no problems!

Now, follow the manual, find some good oil and change it like they ask and you'll be good to go!

Glad to hear that it's almost over.

Let me know how the new truck is!
fruit.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Now, follow the manual, find some good oil and change it like they ask and you'll be good to go!

Yes. Another example of why following the manual during the warranty period isn't such a bad idea.

Point noted and well taken sir
patriot.gif

I can guarantee you this new Nissan truck will have ONLY dino oil and Nissan filters for the duration of the warranty, period.

I will run an initial short OCI at 1000 miles, then follow the manual...3750 miles, etc...whatever that manual says. I am doing ALL the oil changes myself, keeping good records and receipts of course.

I do NOT trust the local Nissan dealer at all. It seems most of my engine isssues started AFTER it was in for that fuel pump /cat converter repair...water over the dam at this point.

Anyway, I am going to post over at the "Car and Truck Lubrication " section shortly for recommendation for a good dino oil for this 5.6L, 32 valve V8 Titan...because here that would be
offtopic.gif

VicTitan,

I know I'm jumping in late but my experience is that Nissan engines like a thicker 10W30 or 5W40.

Highly recommend a higher viscosity oil in the above weights.

But don't sweat it quite yet. You're most likely cleaning out factory gunk.

Trending should show a downward trend in wear metals for future UOA's.

MolaKule:

The 2005 Titan is soon to be history...picking up a 2006 Titan tomorrow. The 2005 has SERIOUS engine issues, and I'm done with it.

Thanks for the oil input though.

I hear you about Nissan dealers.

Love the vehicles but as I have said before, these guys are trained to blow smoke up....

Vic: We wish you well. Two positive points in closing. As I'm sure you know, the difference in value between the 05 and the 06 will "follow" you through the years, so you should recover some of your "loss" in the future. Second, FWIW (not much) my Nissan built engine (OK, a different model...) is as tight as a drum. I don't baby it (hey, it's in a G35), and its wear metals are near zero and it uses zero oil. Odds are that your new V-8 will be just as good.
cheers.gif

EDIT: I'd concur with Mola regarding viscosity. I can feel and hear that my VQ35 is smoother and quieter with the 12.5 cSt GC than it is on a 10 cSt oil.

Thanks ekpolk...for all your input. My wife and some family members concur that the route I'm going is the best way to go.

Goodbye problem child
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I know I'm jumping in late but my experience is that Nissan engines like a thicker 10W30 or 5W40.

Sounds like the best solution is to find an oil for him that satisfies the recommendations of the manual AND your experience.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

Trade it for a Ford and be done with the headache. If the Truck still has a warranty let someone else fight with Nissan. [/QUOTE]
Of course the truck is still under warranty.
pat.gif

How 'bout a Toyota Tundra...
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]

What self-respecting person would buy a Toyota???

quote:

Originally posted by VicTitan:
The bottom line IMHO, is that

1) problem goes away...Nissan's issue now
[/QB]

Not true. Nissan won't fix the engine because you traded it in. I don't see it happening. This truck will be bought by a used car person seeking a good deal.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
What self-respecting person would buy a Toyota???

Hey, the soon-to-be-released new 5.7L Tundra ain't exactly dog meat. Oh yeah, I forgot -- all those awful UOAs we've seen from the Toyota V-8s -- that must be it, right. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

You have to do what feels right for you and what you can live with.

I personally probably wouldn't have done that because you are losing more money than just $2,000 out of pocket. The 4x4 option is worth roughly $3,000. The leather is probably another $1,500. The tow package on the new truck is only worth a few hundred dollars probably. You probably got hit with about $6,000 total but its probably worth it not to deal with the hassle. Anyway, enjoy the new truck.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
You have to do what feels right for you and what you can live with.

I personally probably wouldn't have done that because you are losing more money than just $2,000 out of pocket. The 4x4 option is worth roughly $3,000. The leather is probably another $1,500. The tow package on the new truck is only worth a few hundred dollars probably. You probably got hit with about $6,000 total but its probably worth it not to deal with the hassle. Anyway, enjoy the new truck.

Wayne

Wayne:

On the other side of the coin, you have not accounted for the equity factor. Per the KBB site, the value difference between two comparably equipped Titans from the 04 and 05 model years is about $3500 (no figures for 06 yet). Obviously, this is an estimate, but it does illustrate that while VT lost some in the areas you pointed out, he will also gain several grand back just for the extra value than an 06 inherently carries over an 05.
cheers.gif

I'm glad you're happy, VicTitan, and have this behind you.

ekpolk, what is the resale differential between a 5-year-old Titan 2x4 vs. 4x4?

IMO this is a case of peace of mind alone. That's not wrong, that's just what this is about. There's nothing in the world wrong with having an engine replaced. No manufacturer 'owes' anyone anything more than to fix what's wrong. That's what they say they'll do in the warranty and Nissan would have done that here. All it took was to run the oil test. Consumption like that would get it replaced. If not now (at 9,900 miles), then well before the warranty expired.

Either way, as I said, I'm glad you're happy VicTitan. Thank you for not taking the 'easy' route of pawning this off on some unsuspecting soul or rigging the test(s). Though that may be exactly what the dealer will do, I commend you for not.

I'm with bulwnkl on this one. The equity factor is only good if he plans on trading this one in next year. But I understand VicTitan's decision. Most people don't want the hassles of dealing with the legal system. And I have a feeling that's why he wants to follow the manual a little more closely through the warranty period this go around.

Best of luck to you, VicTitan.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back