Terminology

LDB

I'm reading a WWII themed book. At one point the author says "Angles 18,000 feet". I'm sure it is supposed to be Angels. That's where I begin needing input. I thought using the term angels implied so many thousand feet. If so, one would say "Angels 18"? Or am I mistaken and if so how is it properly used? Thanks.

I read a ton of WW2 novels, particularly around subs and sub tactics and warfare. I am NOT an expert, but I would interpret that to mean to set the dive angle to reach 18000 feet...which um....is impossible for WW2 Subs at the time, or even today. I believe max depth published is about 1000 ft.

I read a ton of WW2 novels, particularly around subs and sub tactics and warfare. I am NOT an expert, but I would interpret that to mean to set the dive angle to reach 18000 feet...which um....is impossible for WW2 Subs at the time, or even today. I believe max depth published is about 1000 ft.
This one has a submarine thread woven in but this particular point was on the air arm and flight terminology and altitude.

This one has a submarine thread woven in but this particular point was on the air arm and flight terminology and altitude.

Ha...hence my disposition to think subs when talking about WW2. ;-) Sorry for taking away...18k feet altitude is much more achievable.

My iPad autocorrect just turned “Angels“ into “angles” - when angels is the correct term for altitude. I reckon that happen in the publication of your book.

Angels is still used.

My iPad autocorrect just turned “Angels“ into “angles” - when angels is the correct term for altitude. I reckon that happen in the publication of your book.

Angels is still used.
That's probably what happened to the author also. I'm doing the proofing/editing for him now.

Angels is still used.
I came up with a word for that. Autoincorrect. I'm probably not the first to use it.

Back