Tequila Drinkers

I like the taste of Tres Agaves Anejo & for that matter their Reposado. To me, Cabo Wabo Anejo is also pretty good and can be found on sale in my parts quite often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Yes, the Silver's are good for margaritas but not so good a sipper to me. Hornitos Silver makes the best margarita and has a great price at $25. Hornitos Anejo is a really good sipper but doesn't make a good margarita, the Silver and Anejo Hornitos are the two I use to keep on hand at the same time, both of these are under $30.

Seconded...

I do like Don Julio but it's pricey and I assume everyone has had it here...

Casa Noble Anejo is quite good, but is a bit closer to $30...

Originally Posted by favilac
Mexican here.

A few points.

- Go for 100% Agave. Mixes like Cuervo is what gave tequila the bad reputation.

- A real tequila must be made in Jalisco. It takes the name from the town of Tequila, in that state. It's like champagne, that also must come only from that place to deserve the denomination.

- With 100% agave, skip the salt and lemon. It's a gimmick we don't do in México. A "sangrita" is acceptable.

- With tequila blanco, you usually drink it in a "caballito". That's the glass you use for shots. But with añejos, a whiskey or cognac glass work really well to bring up the aroma and flavor.

- Mezcal is a generic term for the fermented drink of agave. Tequila is the mezcal made in Jalisco with a specific type of agave. Other states have their own mezcal, like "bacanora" in Sonora, "sotol" in Chihuahua. Again, the 100% rule applies. Each have their own peculiarities. Bacanora for example, has a stronger plant flavor, as it uses another type of agave than tequila.

Right now, my personal favorites are añejos. 1800 Añejo and Hornitos Black Barrel are pretty good for the price. 1800 is smoother with a caramel hint, and Black Barrel is a little more spicier. If you can find them, give them a try.

Excellent information !
Thank you !

Thanks for all the replies. Update on the Milagro Reposado, as I finished off the bottle I really liked this because it is very smooth but the next one on my list was Corralejo Reposado and after a couple days I realized the Milagro was lacking depth. After the Corralejo Reposada I tried the Anejo and both of these are smooth but have a lot of depth to them, vanilla/butterscotch turning sweet spicy and finishing off with pepper, I recommend both of these at $32 for the Reposada and $40 for the Anejo.

I have made a list of some I would like to try.

Don Julio
Casa Noble
Cabo Wabo Anejo - had the Reposada and remember I didn't care for it, lacked depth and flavor
Espolon
Casamegos - see if Clooney knew what he was doing

I suppose the next thing to discuss when sipping your favorite beverage is the glass. I worked with a guy that always said the glass makes a difference and I always thought he was full of it until he proved it to me. He is a big Irish Whiskey drinker, Jameson is his go to but Bushmills is his favorite. He told me to bring over my tequila and my shot glass and he would show me, he had several different types of glasses and proceeded to show me how to sip. The only glasses I have at home that are close are champagne glasses and over the years a couple have broke so when I broke one the other night wifey said no more buy your glasses. So after some research I bought a couple GLENCAIRN Crystal glasses which by the way look a lot more manly than the champagne glasses.

Last edited:
Yes!

Great choice.

I talked before about añejos. Now, I'll expand a little more. There's a trend in añejos to age the tequila in oak barrels that were previously used in making whiskey or bourbon. Hornitos Black Barrel is one of them, and that's were it gets the spicier notes. So there is a reason on why a whiskey glassware is nicely suited to sip an añejo.

Next on your list, try to find other mezcales añejos, like bacanora and sotol. Just don't get too deep on the rabbit hole!

Originally Posted by spasm3
El Jimador seems pretty good for the money.

I don't drink tequila very often anymore, but El Jimador is my go to when I do. Really good stuff for the price.

There are a few things wrong in that article (but yes, no worm, ever).

Tequila by law has to be 100% agave. If it is less it can't be called that. If it less than 100% it should be clearly labeled as a "mixto" (mixed). Avoid them, as you can't be sure what the remaining alcohol was used.

Year ago my mother brought me a bottle of Mezcal with a worm in it she got in Mexico. I still have one of the little ones and has been interesting watching the worm grow in size over the years. I'm guessing it started out less than a half inch and is now well over an inch. I can't bring myself to drink it with that worm in there.

Last edited:
Back